1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little People, Mega Brains

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 6, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sumitha,

You have a very valid point here. For some reason prodigies do fizzle out - may be a burn out or live very short lives e.g. Mozart and Ramanujam. Then one wonders what particular advantage the precocious brilliance conferred on these people. It would be different if they could achieve phenomenal things life long. Well, there are far too many mysteries in life I guess, which are way beyond the comprehension of ordinary non-prodigies like us. :-D

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I have wondered about these prodigies too satchi! Kids today certainly seem to have a greater knowledge base thanks to the information overload .....but these prodigies are on completely diff plane...I really wonder how they are who they are .Amazing...another unsolved mystery of nature!

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Very true JAG. And as in the case of the kid I referred to, one wonders if this is due to information overload or a case of a child prodigy. I mean which school would teach a kid to identify a brain MRI, which X ray is of the shoulder, knee or the ankle, all the organs in the chest and abdomen by the age of 6 or 7?

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Mmmm! Interesting!
    I most certainly agree the children today are smart and bright.
    Given that information is available at the touch of a button it easy for children to be more knowledgeable and aware of world and its happenings than when we were young!
    I am all admiration of the brilliant minds of todays youth!
    That was delightful read of the young children and their mega brains.

On the flip side however, I am a little skeptical about those parents who keep pushing their children to the brink and I have seen many young folks who do exceptionally well in their shool years suddenly give up as if they are tired of learning and learning and learning! Burn out!

I hope parents of young children balance academics with the right amount of play. Playing is very very important during childhood and not to be dismissed. Research has proven that when children play unstructured games where they make their own rules, they turn up to be brilliant in academics

Sorry Sats, if I have gone off at a tangent, again:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

certainly an interesting read and makes me wonder in awe. I come across many kids who are exteremly brilliant, IQs going off charts and the only point of interest to me as a teacher is as to how to keep that love of leraning intact in these kids, how to help them succeed in wordly terms yet be the brilliant young minds that they are! I often cringe at the thought of parent's testing their young kids' IQ - I understand the enthusiasm, gratitude, gratefulness and wanting to do their best but I am often terrified of parents loosing perspective.

Neverthless all this will not diminish everything you have said! It is true it is fascinating for us, as watchers, observers, even proud parents/friends/associates but I am sure they live in a different world where they have very few who get them exactly the way they want to be understood. The world certainly is a beautiful place with all these young minds showing us what is possible.

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Hi Kamala,

7. satchitananda

Hi Sabitha,

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I feel quite certain the kid u talked about in the post is a child prodigy. Granted some parents and teachers overdo it but MRI /X scans and identifying organs is way beyond any 6 yr old (or even their parents to be honest)..

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Just what I thought JAG and even if the parents are docs, it is highly unlikely that they would sit down and teach a 6 year old all that.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Well yr husband suire has serious competition, as they say the old give way to the new. Would u like such a young champ to operate on u . Satchi, u must honestly ask yrself. HAHA

What msut the patrents be teaching these young kids eh ! All about bones and X Rays eh !As u rightlyu said this is the time for kids to play and enjoy and not go into such serious things, which are way out of their legues.

Good one.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.