Life's Minor Annoyances

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Amica, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Standing under a pulsing shower in the bathroom, and delightfully enjoying self. And suddenly there is scalding water, when someone had opened the kitchen faucet for whatever reason. Happened to me more than a few times.
    For older persons, especially visitors from forin, it is best to recommend a bucket/mug bathing, instead of having them use the shower. Sudden movement on wet surface can lead to falls, and the consequences. A few years ago I bought a plastic stool to sit and take a bath before visitors came to stay a while.

satchitananda, Sandycandy and Amica like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP jaan, not to be ehsaan faramosh* but it is beginning to look like we need categories to share our annoyances. People who annoy you, things that annoy you, things in IL, spousal annoyances deserve a separate category.... : ) But no problem, we will adjust and express all of them here only.

ehsaan faramosh = ungrateful. A word often used in the last few scenes of a Hindi movie as the mother/father laments the bad son/daughter or the rich man laments the disloyal driver or gardener or Ramu kaka.

satchitananda and Amica like this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I was afraid I was going to be kvetching alone in here. :lol:

My gripe from the weekend: People with overflowing carts in the express checkout lane. :rage:

4. Rihana

Talking of check-out, ticks me off when the cashier will leave the checkout area to go fetch an item the customer wants, either a different brand, flavor or size. The customer at the front of the line beams in joy at being able to get his/her heart's desire while the rest of us silently fume and wait.

Another: once you are done with your purchases, please move a little so the next person can be attended to. Don't block the credit card machine thingie. Arrange all your items lovingly in your cart after moving a foot away. Please. Thank you.

And please can there be a separate lane for people opening store credit card? I know the store needs to get more people to apply for the store card, and no better time than when they are checking out, to say "would you like an extra 20% off your purchases today?" But please please can that be a separate line? Or once customer agrees to apply, then have them go to a separate line?

One more to do with shopping: the S/M/L/XL on the hanger not matching the actual size of the top or pant. Grrrrrr... At 10 am on a weekend.. not even after the crowds have messed up things a bit.

And one thing that bugs me on the way to the store: at stop signs, people don't go even if they have right of way. They are clearly arriving at the stop sign 4-5 seconds before me, I am clearly slowing down and preparing to stop, they can go? No.. they will wait for me to stop, and only then will go. Nowhere in the DMV book does it say that at 4-way stop you have to make eye-contact before going. If both reach almost simultaneously, I can understand, but I am at least 4 seconds after you. Please go?????

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I could be that driver...and there is a strong reason..my friend was hit after the other driver seemed to slowed down and my friend was there at the intersection a few seconds before the other driver . The slowing down these days happens for a variety of reasons including folks being on their phone. Unless there is an eye contact made its best not to assume anything.Those few seconds are nothing .... and lady u wait too! Dont hit the gas until u see the wheels come to stop.

6. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

:( I'm this kind of pedestrian, mainly because I've been hit once with a car turning left and twice with a car turning right.

7. Rihana

I disagree. You can make out the difference between a car that is obviously going to stop, and one that is just slowing down. More so, on a clear day when you can see the driver from afar. I am talking of times when I am many many feet away, and already slowing down. And not distracted. The other person has enough time to clear the intersection before I reach my spot to stop.

If we want to exercise so much caution, then, things are going to slow down everywhere to a crawl almost. When merging on to a freeway or getting off a freeway, one has to assume that the other driver is slowing down to let us go. There is no time or possibility of eye-contact. You assume that he is slowing down to let you go or because you have right of way. You cannot investigate whether he is slowing down due to cell phone or something. When one can have that much faith in fellow drivers and one's judgement at that speed, why not at stop sign?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Amica likes this.
  8. Rihana

Both parties are in car. No pedestrian.

9. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

One of my pet peeves:. watching fireworks.. esp. when my friends or other parents informed my children first and then they beg me to take them.

Amica likes this.
  10. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Oh ok.. read it again...and yup, I share the same frustration every now and then.

Amica likes this.