Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Anyone trying? I ll post the solution by tomorrow.

jskls likes this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

My vocab is limited... good that I’m learning something :)

3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

No. It didn't need bigger sphere of vocabs or so I thought! :relieved:

jskls likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Solution to puzzle #8310:

Clues :

Img 1, Jack is a pirate or in other words a 'Thief'. He is behind bars in the picture, also trying to break the lock. Implied keyword - (escaped) 'Convict'.

Img 2, 'Aboriginal' and 'Tea'.

Img 3, Dollars or... 'Buck(s)'. Image also implies multiple dollars as in millions or 'Fortune'.

Answer 1 : William Buckley.
    Keywords combo: Convict+Aboriginal+Buck.

Recently I came across the phrase 'Buckley's chance'. It's origin is a reference to William Buckley, an escaped English convict. He seemed to have wandered alone in the Australian wilderness for long before he met the Wathaurang people. Buckley lived with the aboriginal community for over 32 years, learning their language and customs.

His name now lives on in the Australian slang as the ironic phrase “you’ve got Buckley’s chance” or “Buckley’s hope”, meaning very little or no chance - despite the fact that Buckley took his impossible chance for freedom and survived.

Book : Life and Adventures of William Buckley by John Morgan.

Answer 2: Robert Fortune.
    Keywords combo: Thief+Tea+Fortune.

Robert Fortune, a botanist but best known for stealing tea plants from China.

British East India Trading Company sent Fortune to China to infiltrate a green tea factory in the Wu Si Shan hills. China’s interior was forbidden to foreigners then, so Fortune disguised himself as a Mandarin official from a faraway province. His mission was a success and the British were able to manufacture tea throughout the world. Technology and knowledge brought over from China this way is said to have been instrumental in the development of Indian tea industry as the world's largest, surpassing China itself.

Book :

For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History is Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."

"The task required a plant hunter, a gardener, a thief, a spy. The man Britain needed was Robert Fortune," Rose writes.
    - Via NPR.

Now if you are wondering why I chose to put the two together as a puzzle, well I observed a contrast in their stories. Buckley had to live with the local community as a survival thing, later on becoming one of them too in true sense as apposed to Fortune infiltrating the Chinese, posing as a fake, only to steal their secrets. No? :sweatsmile:

Lol. Cheers to chai anyway! And, chaiwallas too I guess! :sunglasses:

Thanks for trying! :blush::innocent:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Puzzle# what am I referring to?

upload_2018-5-13_14-32-45.png

Description of the puzzle:

• No oblique or second-order clues, but only straightforward and first-order visual clues.
    • The paintings in row#2 are world famous housed in prestigious museums, very pertinent to the puzzle.
    • The scribble in row#2 is slightly marginal, that is once you crack the puzzle, you might notice that art form.
    • That's it for now.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    GoogleGlass, kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I have no clue. Row #1 clues gave some names that connects to the people in the paintings as well...

I ain't got the magic touch, I'm lost! :sweatsmile:

7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

the gods of wine & love - related to The Bacchanal of the Andrians
    am not sure how to work on these puzzles, sorry if i have no sense of direction to these...

8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

The paintings are easy. The -esque women are instantly recognizable, even if one were unable to place the exact work.
    The first pic does not appear to be information dense.
    I have no idea what that film is.
    Xi'an generates instant associations of course, but none that seem to fit .... :thinking:

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

kaniths, here are more clues

Row#1 spells out the puzzle! The puzzle is row#1
    Row#2 is descriptive and explains the puzzle. Verification!

The paintings in row#2 are distinct from the posters in row#1 .

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Googleglass, you have the correct painting, next work out the theme in that painting.

How to work out the puzzle? As written above to kaniths, the visual clues in row#1 spell the puzzle, that is, if you search for a combination of keywords of those visual clues, the solution to the puzzle opens up. Just inspect, what each visual in row#1 prominently signifies. What word flashes? Then try a combination of those words.

Row#2 though forthcoming only annotates the puzzle. More for verification.