Lent; notion of self-discipline

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Megalife, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

The season of Lent has not been well understood by many.For many of us growing up, Lent meant “giving up candy.” Lent has traditionally been marked by penitential prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. Some still observe a rigid schedule of fasting on certain days during Lent. As part of self denial, most people observing lent practice vegetarianism, several also give up things they like most such as chocolates, pastries etc, or forgo one or more regular meals a day.

Lent starts on Ash Wednesday (Feb. 22, 2012) and ends on Holy Saturday(April7, 2012), 40 week days, Sundays not included.
    I still miss the Carnivals in Goa, which comes from a Latin phrase meaning "removal of meat," is the three day period preceding the beginning of Lent. The streets of Goa used to go into wild festivity, eating, drinking, merrymaking, street parties, skits, floats, etc. But it wasn’t until I hit late twenties; I did realize the significance of lent. Fasting/abstinence in some form or the other is part of a lot of belief systems, and I personally feel this may be God's way of instilling some amount of discipline in man. To see someone overeat on something you love, and to be able to resist joining in would require self control and discipline wouldn't it?
    My purpose of observing lent is to refocus on spirituality in a culture that has increasingly secular values; to keep my sense and sensibilities awake. I do not want to go on a ‘preaching and teaching’ speer. But there is something I would like to share, I cannot sleep when the wind blows…flabbergasted as to what it means????…the story goes thus….A young man applied for a job as a farmhand. When the farmer asked for his qualifications, he said, "I can sleep when the wind blows." This puzzled the farmer. But he liked the young man, and hired him. A few days later, the farmer and his wife were awakened in the night by a violent storm. They quickly began to check things out to see if all was secure. They found that the shutters of the farmhouse had been securely fastened. A good supply of logs had been set next to the fireplace. The young man slept soundly. The farmer and his wife then inspected their property. They found that the farm tools had been placed in the storage shed, safe from the elements. The tractor had been moved into the garage. The barn was properly locked. Even the animals were calm. All was well. The farmer then understood the meaning of the young man's words, "I can sleep when the wind blows." Because the farmhand did his work loyally and faithfully when the skies were clear, he was prepared for the storm when it broke. So when the wind blew, he was not afraid. He could sleep in peace.
    While there was nothing remarkable amazing in the young farmhand's preparations, he just devotedly did what was needed each day. Consequently, peace was his, even in a storm. I want to adopt this way of thinking both at work and back home. I tend to keep things to the eleventh hour…starting this lent, I want to be a bit more organized with life.This may involve early rising or time spent away from a favorite hobby or activity.
    As the the season of spiritual preparation for Easter begins in 2 days, Mega goes Veg, by choice, rather than an obligation! I never drink alcohol, nor smoke so I do not have to carry out restrain on intoxication.
    Wishing all my christian ILS a rewarding spiritual journey this lent.

4 people like this.

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I am not a Christian, but have heard about the Lent season from my friends. However, you have explained the significance in such a simple, yet beautiful manner. Thank you so much friend.

And yes, the story has a sound moral. If only each one of us would try to incorporate this in our lifestyle, life would be so much better.

Warm wishes to all Christian ILs....

1 person likes this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi rkji
    Many thanks, I was fortunate enough to have friends from different faith, states, languages...I learnt such a lot from all of them (in fact more than what I imbibed from the books). Gave me a global perspective , and taught be the great truth that every religion conveys the same message of love and tolerance. Thanxxx for those wishes.
    Mega

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mega.....

Your post is the first I am reading on this cold, cloudy morning......

And, it has given me a refreshing dose of warm nostalgia......and reflections.......:coffee

First thought that came in my mind while reading the post........
    My long lost childhood friend "R".....They were a lovely family of devote Catholics......I fondly remember a few seasons of Lent.....their fasting....their abstinence from wearing flowers......her prayers....with the "rosary ring".....and her faith in God.....:)

Then came the part of discipline through the these rituals across all faiths.........
    Those lines, and the subsequent reflection brought me a secure feeling.......Just like the way a week chick would feel under the wings of mother hen.........Yes, my dear Mega, these customs and rituals have a lot ,ore of positive influence on us, at the soul level....which we may not know, or be aware of......:thumbsup

Then the story and your resolution.......That's Mega.......!
    Just loved that part.....and now, I am completely refreshed.......with an insight.....and a broad smile on face........ready to make my cuppa and start my day......:thumbsup

But, I am sure, your lovely post would be lingering in my mind for long, and I would be ruminating it fondly.........:)

Thanks buddy, for this lovely post....and Have a Lovely spiritual journey this Lent........:bowdown:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  5. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mega,

I never knew much about lent except one of my good practices it.. she lives only on fruits during all these.. no food.. like rice / roti / junk food.. apart from that i really dnt know anything

But you have put in a very good way.. i must say i'm motivated from this post especially the story... simple & yet profound... and Required to any person.........

Thanks for such beautiful & motivating write up...

Good luck to you

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi knbg
    At the onset let me do the honours , your post and fbs keep IL shinning....to that I raise a toast ( if u are done with fixing your coffee, I raise the coffee mug).
    I firmly believe, all said and done, everything melts down to the all purifying furnace of spirituality, some may agree the rest my disagree, but them I can only speak for myself. ThnxxxMany for stopping by.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pallavi
    Thank you for your warmth and wishes. Nobody is perfect and I am not even close to being one....will start a bit by bit....hopefully one day I might get closer.
    Take care and gnite
    Mega

8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega,
    Woke up this morning.........and the calender said 'Lent begins'........
    Immediately , your post came to my mind, my dear buddy...........:)
    May you observe this period of reflection and austerity with devotion and dedication.........:)

2 people like this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful example. The simple, yet perfect story moved me a lot. I am a practicing Christian; hence I am planing to eat only veg, no junk foods, no parties and above all, no facebooking - its becoming my addiction now, so decided to give up. Instead, I am trying my best to read spiritual books, the bible and its meaning.

2 people like this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Bhargs
    Not able to keep in touch with you as much as I would please, blame it on work pressure! Yeah.....it's lent time again, a year has whisked by......yesterday marked the official beginning of lent 2013, and I am a veggie again!
    My children are skipping junk food, their own decision ; no choco, candies, chips, Pepsi , fizzy drinks! They go veg just the last 10 days!
    A bear hug to your sonny....and to you!
    Mega

2 people like this.