Large Vs Small company?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by nitu, Jul 20, 2005.

1. nitu

nitu Guest

I am working for a very large company in the US as a marketing manager. The company has 200,000 people around the world.

Recently, through a friend of mine, an opportunity to work for a small company (100 employees) has come up. This small company is offering me an attractive pay and the people there really want me to for them.

I am torn between the stability of a big company vs the opportunities in a small company. Would love you all perspectives on this to help make up my mind..Thank you.

Nitu

2. akila

akila New IL'ite

Hi Nitu,

If I were you, I would go with the small company where people really want me to work for them. It is easy to grow fast, be recognized and get more responsibilities in a small company than a big one.

As long as there is good job satisfaction and reasonable pay, it shouldn't matter much about the company being big or small.

3. madhu_cute

madhu_cute Junior IL'ite

Go with the small company if there is job security!

Hi Nitu,

I would suggest to go with the small company if there is a job security. The small company you are talking about, if they have a good business plan on where they want to head to, then you will definitely be able to see a good growth as the company grows.

4. raka_k

raka_k New IL'ite

Hi Nitu,

I think you shoul go for small company where your hard work will be appreciated and you will feel as an important menber of a small family where as in big company it will not be possible.

5. seemaa

seemaa Senior IL'ite

Nitu in a small company people know you and respect you in a big company you are to urself and are lost only your family knows you are working in a big company rest at the company are at cut throat competition...dont you think respect love and their want for you is all that will make you happy at the end of the day

6. rjhari

rjhari New IL'ite

I would not prefer to move to small company. I enjoy the sense of security and reputation of working for a huge organization.

Actually this used be a discussion in one of my friend's family among the brothers. elder one joined in big company, younger one chose small company. I was sorry to hear that, the start up company that younger brother worked laid him off now. Not to bring down your spirits if you are leaning towards small company, but the one factor i would give importance is security.

7. ShardaSuresh

ShardaSuresh Bronze IL'ite

Large companies that are having a good financial year are good to work for. But it is hard to predict which will be the next large company that will tumble. And when that happens there will be indiscriminate lay offs.

On the other hand in a small company you might learn a lot and have quite a bit of freedom to do things your way. You can not be very sure though, if they will continue to give you hikes and benefits.

If money is important stick to a big company, if you are willing to take a risk then small company is better