Labor induction - how successful it is!! Info needed!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by ladiesin, May 21, 2013.

1. ladiesin

ladiesin New IL'ite

hey all!!

I m due this weekend for a labor induction. I am worried bout how successful the whole process is. Any insight on this?!?!:confused2:

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Some of the ways to naturally induce labor is by walking. A LOT.
    Eating spicy Indian food, specially egg plant.

Usually medical labor induction happens with pitocin (of course there are other methods but this is most common). As per my knowledge, its safe. nothing to worry dear. Usually doctors wait for a maximum of 2 weeks after expected date of delivery before inducing labor. Of course, the reason would vary from amniotic fluid levels, water breaking with no signs of pain etc etc.

Some of the things to keep in mind before induction is to let your doctor know your medical condition. Your doctor shoud not induce labor if:

1. baby is in breach position (your doctor will most likely perform an ultra sound before induction and he/she will know this)
    2. If you have had 2 or more C-sections before (make sure you tell your doctor if you had this)
    3. you are having triplets.

lastly, do not worry. I am sure your doctor will induce labor only when he/she believs that its safe to induce labor.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Nothing to worry. Its quiet simple and painless. I was induced too and went had having a normal delivery. I know they say lots of stories about induction but when i went for induction all that I thought was yay i am going to see my baby soon.. Thats what I would suggest you have too. Sometimes induction will take hours but that is normal and it all depends on how your baby reacts and your body reacts.. Induction is nothing special and is quiet common. Take come soothing CDs and music to listen to during this time. All the best.

1 person likes this.
  4. seagreen

seagreen Gold IL'ite

I was induced and had a normal delivery. And contrary to the belief, I had a short labor. I got admitted at 530 in the evening, pains started around 10 in the night and less than 12 hrs later our daughter was with us.

Stay positive and be happy, you will see your baby soon :)) best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

I was induced because my labor was progressing slowly. They probably will use pitocine. the contractions you feel with induced labor are more intense then reg. do some prelabor excercise. once you are about 5 cm dialated you can take epidural and after that it is easy pesy... i had normal delivery so don't worry.

6. KiruthikaRaja

KiruthikaRaja New IL'ite

I also was induced and had normal delivery with a beautiful daughter.I admitted at 10AM and gave birth by 2pm .During that time always thought about how baby looks and what baby it will be and so many expectations about baby.

As Rakhii said walking helped lot for this normal delivery.

In addition to walking, as an old myth, i drank daily one glass of kashayam (dry fry 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds and add one big glass of water bring it to boil and add 1/4 teaspoon of butter in tat boiling water and drank it warmly before bed time).It gave me pleasant sleep and reduced false pain and relieved constipation too.

You can also try this.Normal delivery will differs for every women for every delivery.

2 people like this.
  7. ladiesin

ladiesin New IL'ite

@Anahita5
    Thanks for the insight anahita.. :) but i heard taking an epidural might cause side effects like joint aches in the long run.. How far is it true and common ???

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. ladiesin

ladiesin New IL'ite

@seagreen

Hoping to have a short labor too.. thanks for the wish!! :)

9. ladiesin

ladiesin New IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii.. Doctor has told that it ll done with pitocin only!! I walk 30 mins a day on an average!! Hope that is okay!!

10. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

some people don't react well to epidural, but it is a very small population who have adverse reaction. When you go for c-section they give you spinal block which is more potent. Some people have side effects of that too. Talk to your OB about it and discuss all options. You can have a birth plan ready when you reach the hospital. I had very speedy recovery, no aches and pains. Another question is how long is long run. If you start having aches and pains at 40 it is probably becuase of menopause or something else. The studies are not conclusive. I was in pain for more than 12 hrs and was really tired. With epi i was able to get some rest while my cervix dialated and gained back some energy to push, otherwise it was OT for me. good luck.