1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

kids raised by bilingual parents

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by harun, Jul 28, 2011.

1. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Me & my DH speak 2 diffierent language.After marriage i picked up my dh's langauge for everyone's ease.Now my 2.5 yr old has picked up both mine & my dh's language.But before he learns any language each one were speaking respective languages

I am not working so i could teach my kid my language..Now the problem is my Dh STOPS/RESTRICTS my kid whenever he speaks to me in MY language.He says to my kid speak in HIS language only.

1)How do parents speaking different language manage this situation
    2)Did i do any mistake in learning my dh's language.
    3)I personally feel nice/comfortable if my kid speaks in my mother tongue.
    4)How do i make my DH undertsand that there is nothing wrong that my kid speaks to me in my mother tongue.

plz help

2. thepianist

thepianist Junior IL'ite

Hi Harun,

My 2 year old DD too speaks 2 languages (DH and I have different mother tongues). I live with my inlaws, and I too learned their language. However, I never faced this issue of opposition to my DD speaking my language. In fact everyone here is proud that she is so agile in both languages. I'm actually surprised by your hubby's attitude. Have you asked him why he opposes? Does he feel insecure that your child may became more proficient in your language than his? If you find out the cause of his opposition, maybe it will be easier to address it. In these times, when most children refuse to speak anything but English, I think he should be proud that his child can speak in not one but 2 Indian languages at such a young age. How many children (even those in India) do you know who can achieve this?

If your DH continues to force your kid to speak only his language, your child may start rebelling and refuse to speak at all, or talk only in English once school begins. Would your DH prefer that?

Please have an open talk with your hubby. All the best, and post back on how it goes.

Smitha

3. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Hi smitha,
    i think the RESON for my Dh Not letteing my kid to speak my Language is "there is no neccssity".
    1)After marriage i picked up his language very fast so neither my DH nor my IL's had any prob with communicating.
    2)My kid also learnt my DH's language quciekly.

i do i go ahead in sorting this issue.