1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

kid with seasonal allergy -- wheezing

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by smileAlways, Oct 26, 2013.

1. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My DD is 2 years old. She used to get cold/cough then get ear infection/wheezing very soon after. She used to get into this cycle every 2-3 weeks(once the antibiotic and medicines stops) last fall/winter/spring. She gulped a fair amout of antibiotics and sometimes steroids for all these. Summer she did perfectly fine. Now that fall has started she is again into wheezing(no ear infections, i guess her ear canal is grown now). She had wheezing and red rashes around her face/neck 2 times in this sept when she go out. So we did an allergy testing and she is allergic to ragweed pollen. I guess they haven't done spring allergy tests(something i wanted to ask the allergist to do when i visit next time). The allergist had prescribed her singulair. But i haven't started her on that due to the possible side effects i read online. Last week, she had very terrible wheezing(to the extend of troubling for breath) 2 times. I have asked her day care provided to keep her inside, which they agreed. But again this week they took her out(due to misunderstanding among teachers) and she was into terrible wheezing twice. She has wheezing yesterday evening too. She did not go out.Now that i know its allergies, I am able to manage it with giving her citrizine and one albuterol treatement. her wheezing subsided after that. No cold/infections..But i am worried about if the frequent wheezing episodes can do damage to her longterm lung health. I am confused about starting singulair as she is small and her brain is still developing. I know, i may have to start it if she is getting wheezing every day.

Anyone have child with seasonal allergies? How are you managing it?
    If i start giving her citrizine(instead of Singulair) daily, would it help?
    Anybody with a kid on singulair? Any alternative to Singulair?
    any experience with kids outgrowing this weed/pollen allergies?

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Smilealways

I am sorry i dont know much about singulair.But i found this online
    Side Effects of Singulair (Montelukast Sodium) Drug Center - RxList

Now about pollen allergy i remember my brother used to get bronchitis due to pollen allergy.It used to be usually around the climate changes(mostly near the winter holidays) that he used to get bronchitis.But by the time he was a teenager he had completely out grown his health problem.So yes kids with pollen allergy do outgrow this allergy.
    Now i found something about ragweed and i am pasting it here
    "Pollen release occurs at different times of day for different plants. Ragweed starts very early, releasing pollen between sunrise and 9 a.m., although damp conditions can delay release until as late as 2 p.m. Grasses release pollen from about 7:30 a.m. onward, but if the ground is damp, the release will be delayed until the moisture is evaporated. A few species of grass wait until the afternoon, so there will be some pollen entering the air all day. If you get up at 6 a.m. for a walk or run, you can be home safely by 7:30. Alternatively, go out in the early evening, after grasses have finished releasing pollen, and before the evening pollen shower.In general, all types of plants favor warm, sunny days for releasing pollen, and they tend not to do it during rainy weather. Rain also washes residual pollen out of the air. On cloudy days there is a buildup of pollen in the flowers, so a massive release of pollen occurs on the next day of good weather."
    I hope this helps.

And have you thought of opting for alternative therapy like ayurveda/homeopathy??.You can continue with allopathy right now and start alternative therapy whenever you go to India.Or if you have an ayurveda doc/homeopath near by then visit them.My son has benefitted from homeo so i am pretty much recommending you alternative therapies.

Now generally children of this age have a lower resistance and hence they tend to fall sick more often.Try giving gooseberry on regular basis (in the form of chutney/ aarishtams which can be made at home).Your child will definitely benefit from it.
    Take care.

3. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

I used Singulair for my son there was no side effects for my son. We used it continuously for one month then whenever he goes out in the cold air then i start singulair for 3days. I found antibiotics are more harmful as they effect on lil tummies and so many side effects.
    As Dinny said your baby is very young with low immunity.
    My son too had pollen allergy but now he is fine. Last year my son used to get sneezing whenever he used to go out in the evening which will be base for upcoming throat infection. Few days i gave him onion juice with honey he was fine.. sometimes he didnt like to have as he will feel hot in tummy.

4. malathi0874

malathi0874 Guest

hi friend,
    pls go to either homeopathy medicines, or siddha or ayurvedic medicines. thats best one which the remedy is 100% and no more side effects will be there. i used to give my son homeopathy medicines only.

5. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks Padmash.. How old is your son? I read somewhere that singulair wont work on a on and off basis. seven days will be required to get the medicine in full action..

6. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks Dinny for your detailed reply. Thanks for sharing your brother's experience..

1 person likes this.
  7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

SA, I have a 4-year-old daughter with many of the same problems your daughter has. It has been an ordeal for us of trying medications and other measures to try to get her asthma/eczema/colds under control.

First, Singulair. My ped assured us that she had only seen one or two cases of bad side effects, and this usually occurred in older kids. So we started on a 14-day course of Singulair as a last resort (you are right that it takes about 7 days before it starts to become effective), and it was a disaster. My normally very chirpy preschooler became weepy, withdrawn, moody, starting having nightmares, and saying things which were very alarming ("there are spiders in my bed").

This started around Day 7. On Day 9, I stopped the Singulair. It took her a few days after that, but she soon returned to normal. Now, obviously this does not happen to every child. But upon Googling side effects of Singulair, you will find forums full of horror stories. So, the best advice I can give you is, on your ped's recommendation, start Singulair, and see if it affects your baby's mood. It did work very well to stop my child's asthma. But I did not want her to be affected in the other ways. I have not tried any other asthma/allergy medication for her yet.

What I'm trying now is keeping her environment as allergy-free as possible. I'm sure you do all these things anyway, but I'll mention them. I buy special furnace filters, and change them every 1.5 months. I have a whole house humidifier and run a separate humidifier in her room for about 2 hours every night as she is going to sleep. I frequently wash all her bed linen, throw and play blankets, plush toys etc. in hot water and bleach for those fabrics that can stand it. If mold forms on her windows (which it sometimes does, because her room is so humid) I clean it with cotton swabs and bleach.

I have a vacuum cleaner designed for allergy sufferers and frequently vacuum carpets, rugs and upholstery. Many of my rugs are machine washable. Make sure your air conditioning vents are clean and dusted. We are considering getting our ducts and vents professionally cleaned, even though we live in a new house. Apparently, construction debris inside the ducts can also be a problem for allergies. I also keep my daughter's room free of clutter, because anything that can trap dust is a problem.

We have not established what she is allergic to yet, but there is some sort of environmental trigger, as well as exercise, for allergies and asthma. So, she knows she has to wash her hands before touching her face (last Spring her eyes swelled up every time she went outside) after playing in the yard/garden, and she knows that if she runs/jumps/yells for too long without taking a break, she will start to cough until she throws up.

There is also some kind of family history at work here when it comes to autoimmune diseases. All along my mother's side of our family, we have allergies to penicillin and seafood, eczema, asthma, vitiligo, sinus issues, and so on. My favorite homeopathic solution for strengthening the respiratory system (which is notoriously susceptible to malfunction in young children) is elderberry syrup. My daughter takes this every day during cold/flu season

Amazon.com: Nature's Way Sambucus for Kids Bio-certified Elderberry, 8-Ounce: Health & Personal Care

and it is quite pleasant-tasting, so it's easily accepted. It won't do any harm, but it may strengthen her immunity/help her deal with upper respiratory challenges. I have noticed she does better when regularly taking this syrup, compared to when she is not.

I feel a lot of sympathy for you, because I know how hard it is for your daughter, and you. The good news is, they are usually expected to grow out of these kinds of things, so I'm not sure that this is how it will always be for her, or that her lungs are being necessarily damaged now by her wheezing. I hope things improve for your family soon :)

1 person likes this.
  8. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi Ansuya,

Thanks a lot for your reply. One of the reason i don't want to start the singulair is she cannot vocalize her feeling as she is only 2. I have tried giving her sambucus this year during winter/spring season, it wasn't helping her much. May be its for cold/flu etc and allergies is a different thing. Later i read that, elderberry syrup is not recommended for allergies as it makes the immune system stronger, which makes the allergies worse( as allergies are our immune system fighting with foreign particles). I stopped it as she has a bunch of food allergies as well( i do not want to worsen her reactions). I have tried homeo as well. But not for allergies, but for she is getting sick/cold/cough often..It wasn't helping her much..I am planning to consult a homeo dr for allergies when i go to india next time.

on a different note, Have you ever taken your DD to an allergist. Atleast you will know what she is allergic. Is it dust or pollen etc, then you can better control the triggers/situation.. For eg, if she is not allergic to dust, you don't have to fret over minute detailed cleaning. If she is allergic to pollen, may be you can try using a mask to reduce the pollen exposure when she goes out etc..

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

SA, what you say about the Sambucus and the allergies/immune system reaction makes sense. But my daughter started preschool when she was three, and has had so many colds since then that I am willing to take a chance on the Sambucus, because it is so hard to have her constantly sick. I also use the Sambucus in a preventative way to avoid other cold medications that claim to act curatively (except they never work, do they?).

I have allergies, and have had the allergy tests (and immunotherapy, which did not help). I cannot put my daughter through the skin prick test now. So, due to all my experiences with allergies/allergists, I am waiting a while to take her to one. My measures with the dust etc. are general ones. It actually does not matter whether she is specifically allergic to dust or not. It stands to reason that a dusty environment, synthetic fibres, hot, non-filtered air from the furnace etc. will aggravate upper and lower respiratory syndromes.

I am only allergic to cats and ash tree pollen as per my (exhaustive) allergy testing, but dust, mould, strong perfumes, agarbathi... a lot of things start me sneezing, give me headaches, make my nose run, eyes water, wheeze etc. In my experience, finding and isolating "allergens" and trying to keep myself away from those things only have not done enough to protect me from pain and discomfort. I'm assuming my daughter is the same, so I can wait to find out what she's allergic to. Plus, it changes. I never used to be allergic to cats until I was about 12 years old.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

For asthma, acupuncture can definitely help. The acupuncturist can put a very very small thing in the ear under tape and it keeps working while it is in. Also helpful for allergy sufferers is bee pollen but since she is so young I don't know if that is a safe option. What would be safe is to give local unboiled and preferably unfiltered honey each day. Honey and bee pollen contain pollens and act like allergy shots. I personally take been pollen which I find very helpful going from moderate use of antihistamines to zero use.

My mother who had worst case scenario of allergies and asthma was on Albuterol long term and it produces progressive cognitive changes. I suspect that it was responsible for part of her senility.

You are lucky it is ragweed.....pollen season is very short and although notorious rough for sufferers, soon gone. Hence your precautionary period is of shorter duration.