1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Karwa Chauth

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Penelope, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penelope

Penelope Bronze IL'ite

Do you practice Karwa Chauth?
    Why or why not?
    Do you take any personal spin on the tradition?
    Do you feel it promotes the male as the superior person in the marriage or do you find it to be simply a sweet act of devotion?

2. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

This is totally my point of view. I dont mean to hurt anybody's sentiments. Everybody is free to love and follow what they like.

As the OP asked about personal opinion I find karvachauth the most dumbest and stupid festival. Why ???? why every fast is compulsory for women. There are so many festivals across India where i have seen only womenfolk observing fast. What a biased society.
    Wife's life has no value. In today's modern age many husbands also keep fast for their wife but it's not compulsory. More of a fashion. Only a sister prays for the long life of her brother. A wife for her hubby. ********. Had this being compulsory for both sexes than I would have appreciated it.

drdiva, shravs3 and guesshoo like this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

It's up to the person. If they love it they can do it, but it should not be forced up on. It will be very nice if husband fast for wife and wife for husband. But that's not the case. Its only for 'Pathi Parameswar'. If one is leading a happy married life with a good husband, no harm in doing it. Its romantic too. If not ,...what's the point.
    Look like some men take it as a prestige issue.

Uttar Pradesh: Woman denies fasting on 'Karwa Chauth', husband commits suicide | Crime News

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    sindmani likes this.
  4. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

This news is too funny.

I always looked at the Fast as a symbol of my love for my husband. I kept it for the first 3 years after being married to him. But a lot happened between us in those 3 years . I realized that my husband is not attached to me emotionally or in any other way. Although I understood that 2 people in any relationship are different but they meet each other's emotional needs at some level in their own ways. Once I realized that I was looking for love in a wrong place ,that my need will never be met , some part of me stopped caring to make it work too. I haven't kept the Fast for the past couple years.And it never mattered to my husband that I kept it , so he could have cared less.
    But I do love the fun- fare associated with it - applying mehandi, buying new jewellery and clothes , getting ready like a bride and doing puja and I totally miss that . But not being India helps . I don't have to see women all excited and dressed up except on social media .
    The tradition wasn't forced on me . My mom has been doing it all her married life but when I told her I won't be continuing it , she didn't say anything.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The husband should be nominated for a Darwin award.

BhumiBabe and guesshoo like this.
  6. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Well actually there is no point to any festival for that matter. Why question only karwachauth? Christ was probably not born on 25th December. Why is Christmas celebrated on that day? God in any religion is a work of fiction. Mostly women enjoy dressing up and being pampered. They meet their friends and put henna. It is fun. I drink juices and coffee during my fast. Many families do not keep it too strictly. My mom has a light meal in between. Her age and health does not allow a strict fast. So yes there is flexibility also. If you think about it all festivals are stupid.

7. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

Sorry you totally misinterpreted my comment on stupidity. I am not trying to find logic and science behind festivals. Religion and science are completely opposite things.

All festivals are beautiful in their own way. We cant question their validity. Why I find Karwachauth stupid is that its so irrational and absurd for only women to pray for long life of their husband. Why not vice versa ????

8. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

That’s actually right. There is some controversy there if you are not aware of this. For the Orthodox Christians, January 7 is the Christmas Day.

If interested can read this link.
    Orthodox Christmas Day

OP- I don’t have any idea about the festival and so haven’t commented on that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  9. parvathi1980

I did not misinterpret your comment. You called someone's belief stupid. Frankly all belief systems are stupid and illogical. Women fast because it is tradition. But believe me there is no jail sentence or public lashing if women don't fast or eat in public during karwachauth. If the husband wants to fast he is free to do so. If the wife feels that she should not fast then so be it.

10. parvathi1980

Yes according to the article Christ's date of birth is not known. Everything is faith based. Either you believe in it or don't.

Urmila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.