Ivf: Natural Birth Or Planned C-sec

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by amicably, May 4, 2017.

1. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I have conceived through IVF after a hell lot of struggle. Will be entering my 9th month. My IVF doctor usually goes for a planned C-sec at around 37-38 weeks of pregnancy. But now I am referring to Ob/Gyn in different city altogether.

Has anyone gone through IVF pls suggest whether to go for planned c-sec or wait for normal vaginal delivery?

Suggestions would be helpful.

2. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

any suggestions ladies?

3. hoping4amiracle

hoping4amiracle Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have gone thru IVF and currently in 6th month.. My ivf doctor does csec only and she really doesn't have a strong reason for it.I changed my doctor anyway and she is okay with normal delivery as long as there is no need fr it due to any issues. When I discussed this with my current doctor, she was saying it should be done on case to case basis and if someone's pregnancy is smooth why not try normal.. I want to go for natural delivery if everthing is smooth,since I am not interested in unnecessary surgeries. I had a open stomach surgery 2 years back, and after that I feel I dont want my core muscles to go more weak after surgery.
    Ivf doesn't require csec..I strongly believe this..All the best for Ur decision..tc

28neha likes this.
  4. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Thanks @hoping4miracle. Even I will wait as long as possible for normal delivery. Even my current ob/gyn doesn't find any reason for a planned c-sec. She says we will decide on normal / c-sec when time comes. As of now, both me and ob/gyn are targeting normal.

All the best to you for a happy and healthy pregnancy journey :)

hoping4amiracle likes this.
  5. Nivilovely

Nivilovely Junior IL'ite

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ivf doesn't need c section. But those ivf doctors prefer c section route since its hard earned baby. There are lot of medicines used and that might make them think it leads to c section. If your new doc is ready for treating it as normal pregnancy, then its good. Just go ahead and continue your routine. All the best.

amicably likes this.
  7. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

I conceived through ivf and my doctor tried for normal. Even I asked for C after a lot of iv's and waiting for baby to move down my doctor didn't gave up. But finally ended up in C. So you can go for normal with full confidence.
    Just follow your doctors advice .

amicably likes this.
  8. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Thanks @Vasumathy. during my last visit to my ob/gyn she is saying she does not want to wait post 38 weeks. Means she is also thinking about planned delivery. Same as what my ivf doc had said. The growth and reports have been normal though. Just that I hav been taking low dose heparin injections since 3th month due to anti-cardiolipin antibodies test coming positive. (It was postivie just once. Was negative when tested every 3 months after that). Doc says she doesn't want to risk waiting beyond 38 weeks citing the antibodies test and injections.

Thanks @Myladdu , yes, doing that.

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is always one reason or other. Its good that they are ready to wait till 38 weeks completion for ivf pregnancy. I remember pushing from 34+ weeks itself. Push to the extend whichever you could, rest is with god. After 36+ weeks, baby will be stable and delivery after that is OK. So, don't worry. Walk well after 36 weeks completion. That might help triggering natural birth too.
    All the best.