1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Current India Better To Live Than Abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 15, 2017.

1. RadhaPrasad

RadhaPrasad New IL'ite

Thanks for your comment. I don't remember mentioning about where one must live. Of course one has the right to live anywhere in this open (probably?) world. I don't support 2 things: one, it is inappropriate to compare two countries. In fact, the home country always wins over other. It is analogous to say "my mother is most beautiful woman". The second point, we are always responsible for our home country. Well, as you said one has the choice to deny his/her responsibility. One can help improve the home country even from outside. Overall, I just wanted to say that it is better not to compare two nations. I didn't intend to comment on where one must live.

Shanvy likes this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Ok..the topic has digressed so much..
    The purpose of this thread is to not bash or glorify a particular country by

Everyone of us would like to have some aspects of the American lifestyle back in India.Otherwise why would all the western outfits, brands,lifestyle changes like the west happens back in our country.All the movies are mostly taken abroad, the way the people these days speak, dress and act,Yes..there is a certain amount of western influence which we have and like back in our country.One cannot deny that.If we want all of that, why bash America?.Yes..USA offers certain luxuries,day to day life is smoother and straightforward infrastructure,cleanliness which is superior.America is a land of immigrants all over the world and one definitely get more exposure, learning,experiences,acceptance and and It's not that India cannot par but it will take some time as we see so many developments already.

India on the other hand has variety and is full of life.As mentioned once, as no-one can take the place of a mother, no country can take the place of our motherland.Not just for us Indians but for other nationalities too.To each to their own.The way the country is improving rapidly, the amount of freedom women have these days,the current generation is so up to date when it comes to fashion and technology no lesser than USA makes me feel very proud.However,work politics,inlaws and not everyone gets paid well which equates dollars which are some of the main reasons why many people prefer the stay back.Most of us miss India coz we feel nostalgic.That won't go and should not go.Then why bash India?

It's our own circumstances ,lifestyle, personality and interests which makes us choose a certain country.Today the person who resides in America might move back the next year and circumstances might make a person to move abroad forever.

India has given America.. yoga, the idea about one man-one woman relationship(Yes..I have seen and heard people praise about India).They love the sarees,clothes,handbags which I brought on the roadside that I bring from India.Not even the so called good brands which I have, has got the praise of how beautiful it is than the one which I had brought from our homeland.

Let's focus on the positives which the other country offer.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sadly enough, the US can't claim to be any better in the environment-friendly department. If anything, they classify only at 26th place among the top 30 countries (2016).

Shanvy likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

And @anika987 sadly we forget the population ratio. I have stayed and still return to one of the cleanest cities in the world . 17 yrs of living outside has not changed much for me nor my family. Warts and all i love my country.

Earlier say around 2005 i used to take a lot of things back home wheneve i go. But by 2007 i didnot because i found most of them there and also i have decided that my children needed to adapt to the place. I lived for 7 yrs without a scooter or a car. Not that i could not afford. I wanted to live simple. i could and so did my children. So it is possible.

my children did their schooling outside and also in india and doing their higher education in India. they have learnt to deal with life better and i don't have regrets at all and without any grants, scholarships or reservations.. That said i may be a small percentage that never bothered about marks and looked at my child's interests and passion alone. My daughter is just 21 and is a hons grad and can add two professional degrees to her name and working on the third. And yes it makes it easy for her to work anywhere in the world. No this is not a brag at all just to say opportunities lie everywhere if we are open to look for them instead of always looking at something to criticise.

Our media competition or should i say trp wars makes the whole thing ugly while many countries control what the media can deliver. I am not going to argue on statistics or pollution.

Sadly the pasture is always greener and we are a generation that look for everything to happen at a snap of a finger. We want clean cities sadly, none who complain even pitch in to help those ngo's that have 1000's of youngsters and children trying to do it. Yes i do it.

Please we have gates equally bad for every scam not that i am saying they are right. We on the other side of the world hear a lot of tricky, devious strategies of the us but i have never and i am not going to talk about them. This thread by op is not about that.

@anika987 all of us chose our way of living, place of living for that matter even the locality you buy your home in your hometown, by the reasons that you believe work for you. Forget what others say, it may be their perspectives and experiences. Listen and ignore, listen and think, just divert the topic,you have a choice. Don't give people the power to question your choices everytime they say something.

Enjoy living wherever you chose happily.

sindmani and peartree like this.
  5. satchitananda

I agree, it is nice to be proud of one's own country. But why is it necessary to run down other countries and blow your own trumpet to prove that your country is better than others? If you are happy living here, wonderful! Good for you. Where is the need for comparison and to make others feel bad - justified or otherwise?

6. satchitananda

Maybe in the bigger cities. Smaller towns are largely dependent on private transport. The positive side in India is the availability of auto rickshaws everywhere. One can use them on a shared basis too. Safety is another matter though. And yes, other than Mumbai (I don't know about other metros) where subarban trains run punctually, the time is generally IST (Indian stretchable time).

7. satchitananda

I agree it is the civic duty of every individual to help build the country, but that requires character. That comes only from education. Don't litter, don't pee in public, don't spit on the roads ..... these are things to be taught at home as well as in schools just as other values and morals need to be taught. But that does not mean the government does not have any role to play. What our governments do or don't, is there for all to see. Some things need to be handled administratively. Everything cannot be written off as public responsibility alone.

8. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

My point exactly!

And I dont think my posts were meant to bash India. I was listing down the facts. Writing my experiences. Yes, I had lived long enough in both the countries, went to college in both the countries and have worked too in India and the US. My experiences might be different from yours. I have my family back in India. That doesn't mean I get too emotional and ignore the issues there. It is very important to identify the issues first, IMHO. Brushing them under the carpet doesnt help.

I do volunteer and donate as mych as I can. But i again repeat, as long as i follow the rules and abude by the laws, as a common citizen i am not responsible for cleaning up the mess. MOst of the issues need policy changes which again have to be implemented sincerely.

And by the way, even though I like the comparision between mother and home country, I am not too sure if it is apt. Yes, it was coined before Independence (not too sure), but a mother would let a child suffer like the country is making its citizens (i am talking about middle class here) suffer.

@armummy : I am sorry, look at the list of Indian technical universities, (engineering) you will know for yourself where indian undergrad ones rank. If guven a choice and unlimited resources, i would have chosen one in that list instead of the one I went to in India.

And I am outta this thread! Looks like OP has come to terms with the fact that there are pros and cons of living in India and in a foreign country.

9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I was saying the public transport in USA maintain timing

blissofmylife and satchitananda like this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is a personal choice.

Personally for me, On tech universities , even though they are not ranked if you do you engineering firm a decent college , you can get admission into masters in US and many companies offer placements in these colleges. They are many students from this unranked colleges who earn more than median salary in US.

For me undergrad in India and masters in US is a good strategy.