1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it OK to live together with your Spouse before Marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by khylen, Jun 17, 2009.

Is it OK to live together with your Spouse before Marriage?

1. Yes,It's Okay

20.3%
  2. No, thats wrong

39.2%
  3. Depends on the situation

38.6%
  4. I don't know

2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlk2009

mlk2009 Bronze IL'ite

Its OK to live together before marriage. I feel love and affection should drive a relationship rather than culture and traditions.

2. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

I vote 'NO'...guess am not that forward in thinking when compared to many ladies here... I wouldn't do it and wouldn't like my kids to do it either.

Whether you know that 'he' or 'she' is indeed your partner for life or not, I don't find the idea of living together before marriage acceptable. Where do we draw the line? Next, we'll think having kids before marriage is okay, then later, why do we need marriage at all? These questions will definitely pop up IF living together is 'okay' and well, where do we stop? I for one, value 'marriage' and 'having kids' and for that matter 'living together AFTER marriage'.

3. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Is it OK to have sex before marriage

I just rephrased the question. Well, it is okay as long as you know (you are sure) you are getting into a long lasting relationship. It is hypocritical to say that men and women are absolutely ignorant and innocent before marriage. It was never like that and it will never be like that.

I would advocate living together for a couple of months and deciding on marriage. With the complicated life styles with each passing year, one will be sure of what they are entering and it is foolish to say what the society will think. The society is nothing but a piece of crap which again talks tall values but very shallow within.

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

Re: Is it OK to have sex before marriage

If its a committed relationship, why not? but living together for just a physical relationship, that would be a no from me.
    people can accept big celebrities living together in india and nodby thinks the lesser of them when they do it. and i have heard of living together in cities like mumbai 15 yrs back too..

adding the experience i have gained during the yrs i have spent outside India, i know people who are in committed live-in relationship and their way of living no way affects who they are otherwise. They are as ok as the ones in a official relationship and this involves an indian couple and many non indians too. the indian couple is married now after almost a yr together and they have known each other for many yrs before that too. i havent noticed anythg differnt in them before they were married and after:biggrin2:.

5. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Re: Is it OK to have sex before marriage

I am expressing opinion abt my life ONLy.Hence I choose No.

6. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

Hey guys, Just thought I will give life to this thread as I have something interesting to share.

My extended family is in chennai and one of my cousins is in his mid thirties and is a helluva smart and intelligent guy. He is a famous Journalist and has somehow never married till now. His parents live in chennai, but he lives alone in his apartment. He has now decided to move in with his girlfriend. Both of them for now do not believe in the concept of marriage and feel that they do not need it now.

The fun part is seeing my extended family reacting to this. :) Some are surprised and openly say its wrong. Some pretend to be cool and try very awkwardly to make her feel at home. Some genuinely feel its their life and are cool about it. Its just so damn funny. My mom was asking me what surname they would give to their kid if they have one, My aunt was coyly questioning me about their sleeping arrangements as am pretty close to him and she thought that I would know about it. I get calls in the middle of night, sometimes at 2 or 3 from relatives asking these questions. Damn Skype and Internet. Its all free now and they don't think twice about time. Last night I was woken up by my aunt at 3 in the morning to ask me how her granddaughter should address this new entrant. My family is growing up and how!!! :) I think its a good time to tell my mom that I did live in with my husband a couple of months before we got married.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Yep, the number of live in relationships in Madras, Bangalore, Bombay, Delhi and many other cities are on the rise.

I think I vote for "It Depends"...nothing wrong if they are mature adults choosing what they want to do in their lives.

When I was engaged, I told my "to-be-wife" that she can move in with me. But, she wanted to do it only after the wedding - that's fine too. Each person is different, so whatever works is ok.

:rotfl
    Super! Shock kuduthuttu enna reaction appadinnu post pannu vidya :thumbsup
    Since you are already married now, she probably will be shocked, but not much :biglaugh

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  8. rahul

rahul New IL'ite

Voted OK.

Living together will make them understand each other better. Abusive hubbies/wives will likely not be able to hide their true colors for long under the same roof. Also the quality of intimate relations is also very important to consider.

Hence my Vote is Yes, It's OK with the caveat that the partners going into it should be strong enough to handle a failed venture like that. Otherwise they should play safe.

9. PreethiArun66

PreethiArun66 Senior IL'ite

NO

There's a famous tamil sayin ipanjum nerupum pakathula irundha pathikum!!' meaning if cotton n fire r together it ll get stuck to each other..

Guys wher is our culture headin???

10. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

Priya - I understand what you are saying but frankly now a days,

panjum nerupum pakkathile illatiyum kooda pathikum. If the couple decide to do the deed ( sorry for the corny word...cldnt find anything else IL appropriate) it is not necessary that they need to stay together.

Spider - My mom already prefixes every sentence she says with a "naan sonnadhai enniki ketrukka" Am just wondering how she would react if I tell her this too. Recently my friends moved in together after informing their parents in India and they were kind of ok with it. Times are changing !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.