1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it emotional abuse?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by skalluri, Aug 4, 2014.

1. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I am feeling helpless and thus approaching you for your advice. I am not able to control my emotions at times because I got too disturbed by my husband's behavior. I dont know what I am facing is emotional abuse or not.

LIttle background: He is gentleman and well behaved person but he faced lot of family problems (with elder brother), he lost his both parents during the turmoil phase with his brothers, I understand his situation very well and thus dont disturb him and listen to him caring, he has very aggressive nature, I am a sensitive person, I too have my own problems with my family as my brother going through divorce and father passed away due to worry on my brother. mother very much depressed with situations.

I am a sensitive person, now and then he shows his aggressiveness on me especially when I want to share my concerns, fears, loneliness etc. he doesn't give lending ear, even if he listens for my sake, at the end of my conversation he becomes restless and abuses me emotionally that I dont know how to handle my situations and always want the hypothetical situations to happen( ex.1. I tell my concerns that his family doesn't care me morally, all I need is moral strength from them, 2. with no family and friends around me here in USA, I sometimes feel unsecured and lonely, we have only one son who is 10 years old now, he doesn't have friends nearby, no matter I call couple of friends to set up play date, they dont show much interest because they already get engaged or have friends or whatever..) I tell these kind of concerns, after listening he starts with "why do you have loneliness when I don't have" ,"why do you complain".. he will not be in listening mood and if I extend my conversation (never raised my voice) he feels offended as if I am not respecting his words ,later I calm down and suppress my feelings as I don't want to make it mess. If I talk in his frequency of topics he likes and talks jovial but cannot understand my feelings and support me morally. At times he even said loneliness is my own problem, he has nothing to do with it and I have to deal with it.

How should I handle my emotions. I feel like I am helpless as he doesn't help me and top of it he abuses and takes my concerns as complaints. I always tell him I am a woman , I need emotional support and I want to vent out.. now I feel like it is waste to talk him. I already faced anxiety, depression in the past after my delivery for some years continuously because of no help here and because of family situations. now with even small disturbance I am not able to take it anymore because I am NOT a kind of person who fight or yell to make others accept me.

what should I do?

SK.

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

If he thinks loneliness is your own problem, then make it his problem. Don't provide anything he expects from you. Then it will be his own problem if he doesn't get food, care or anything else right?

But what do YOU want? Do you want to move back to India? Do you want to go for a job?

Between husband and wife, there is no my own problem.

If a child was lonely and depressed and sad, will the parent say, "Its your own problem. Deal with it."

Won't we find a solution.

Then why is it the case when it comes to the spouse.

Make him realize that.

But think about possible solutions, if you were the sole decision maker. Then, think about how to convince him to implement the solution.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear Op...just read one of your older thread.Is it possible that you may be suffering from depression post the passing of your father?Have you talked to a doctor about this?

1 person likes this.
  4. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I am already job holder, busy person handling household chores and shopping and job, but at times I miss the intimacy with friends, felt like isolated with no social life especially when think about my son.
    I dont want want to go to India but want to have good friends circle which I am striving hard but not getting. all are just only acquaintances

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

thanks for your concern, yes I went through depression when my father passed away as my brother divorce added more worry. I went to counseling and I am able to control my emotions regarding that as I am in acceptance mode now. Yes past may have impact on me and thus not able to fight with loneliness which leads to frustration and my DH doesn't want to share that pain.

6. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Can you move to a different neighborhood in your city where you can have better friends? Maybe to a different city in US.

Like they say, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity. Do something different which will make your situation better.

2 people like this.
  7. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Your husband is partially correct in saying that loneliness is your problem. He may think that you are not considering him as a company. You did mention that if you talk to him in his frequency he is jovial. So, may be he is trying. Try to find out why exactly you feel lonely. You may be surrounded with 100 people and still feel lonely.

Are you bored without any hobbies or activities? If so, can you cultivate some hobbies or passion? Can you get some job?

What is your fear? Why are you feeling insecure? Find an answer to this questions first. You may have fear for no apparent reason and you may feel insecure for no particular reason. May be you saying fear and insecurity makes him get scared too.
    Not having family is very typical with most women who gets married and move with husband whether it's US or any place within India. Atleast you speak the language spoken here. See how other women cope with such situations.
    Not having friends, can you make some new friends? I am sure making a buddy now may not be easy like college or teenage days but sure you can get some companionship. See you can find some like minded people around. Dont be scared to make friends from diverse groups.

Also, bear in mind, your h himself has undergone pretty traumatic events. You being woman, more compassionate and caring lend your ears to his problems. Him being a man would rather do something to solve your problem than listen to you.

This applies to me too. When i say my husband that i want/need this, it happens faster (i wont say he would drop what he is doing ) than expecting him to be my vent.

Lastly, like YM suggested, check with a doc to see if you have depression.

3 people like this.
  8. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

thank you for boosting me morally . it helps a lot. :p

9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

It is one of the drawback of living in foreign place.

You could be living among a big family, but still you can feel lonely in your mind, not attached with people. You have to accept the present life.

Based on your post, you both experienced a lot in life. Because of his background, your DH has go getter attitude and does not like clinging nature of his DW. Your are looking for more from your DH. I cannot say, it is an abuse or not. But, I do sense a personality difference.

This what I do for kid...

Enroll your son in school activities like tennis, taekwondo, music band to keep him busy. Regularly, send him for activities with friends on weekends. It does take involvement with other parents, in scheduling activities such as car pooling after school activities, bowling, movies, outing to video game places, birthday parties etc. Of course, you need to do chaperoning or driving others kids

Participate in your local temple and local community activities (like college reunion, regional language based org.) along with your family. You will meet families with your son's age group, also.

It is up to you as a mom/wife, to fill in the void in your life.

1 person likes this.
  10. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear friend,

1. 'Count your blessings name them one by one it will surprise you what the lord has done'
    May be this magic line can improve your mood.

2. Sending your son to hobby classes can help him happily engage himself and find friends.

3. Invite your sons friends for small treats(from school & hobby classes )this will give you a window into thier world.

4. 10 Years is a good time to learn music (just a suggestion)

5. Join local indian community without bothering about language.(its fun to have diff state people in one big tag india).Join in all sort of diff festival celebrations including all religious ones.Learn about the festival ,dress and join the fun.No point in being choosy .

6. Sit down and write down what you expect from a companion .You can solve more problems by this method (it connects soul & mind).Then seek your friend from there.

hope my suggestions help

Best wishes.

sindmani likes this.