1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a crime to have an only child?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by savyaasaachi, Apr 11, 2013.

1. savyaasaachi

savyaasaachi Silver IL'ite

"When are you having another baby?" The questions everyone, ask me, when are we having another. (It is usually “when”, and rarely “if”.)

“Oh, I am not sure, we might just have one,” I’d say, only to see the other mom’s face turn into one of disbelief. (Maybe I don't want another baby. Maybe I desperately want another baby (and can't have one for whatever reason). Maybe I'm currently pregnant and don't want anyone to share the news just yet. Maybe I've just had a miscarriage). I'll have another baby when I want to, if I can, and when I'm ready.

This would be followed by a question like "Every child needs a brother or sister." Are you saying the gender I got "stuck" with isn't good enough? Or is it that my life will somehow be incomplete if I don't have one of each?

In my opinion like other parenting decisions — to breastfeed or not, to let kids cry it out or not, to go back to work or to stay home — figuring out how many kids to have is an extremely personal process, but it’s also one that causes others to share advice and opinions without much invitation.

sindmani, Umanga, guesshoo and 20 others like this.

2. DinkyManoj

DinkyManoj Silver IL'ite

Hi savyaasaachi,

I totally accept with you. I don't understand why they behave so weirdly, when we say we are happy with one child.they even say let me see" in another three years there will one more child in your hands". God this statement annoys me to the core, it's as if they are cursing us or something.

Regards
    Dinky

sindmani, Umanga, mitra75 and 5 others like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hi savyaa
    Thank god i am not alone...
    I hear these questions on daily basis and i am tired of answering them.
    I guess because giving advice is free thats the reason ppl give it sooo often.
    ;-)

5 people like this.
  4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

No..it is not a crime or anything wrong! Its because we get doubts like this that get reflected on our faces...that leads to these nosey parkers to ask such pesky questions. More often than not,its from the ILs side,so one has to think before replying. So I don't bother,in such cases.Just give my fixed smile and keep nodding.Anyway I'm considered a dumbo ..so have to keep up with appearances,right? But I also get into a fix if they keep cornering me,wanting a direct reply. Why don't they ask my H such questions?!

The worst thing is that they ask these questions in front of your child...how could they? My DD doesn't have any such thoughts about being all alone etc ..in fact,I have talked about this to her,and she's fine.But if people keep asking such questions ,she will also think on those lines.As it is,we moms are on a constant guilt-trip!

Like some people say when asked about this..We have one and we are done! Let us be..do whatever you want with your lives!

5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Yes i have also realised this....nobody asks him this question...its me who's targeted ALWAYS

Aahh well said :)

sindmani, rmpriya, kelly1966 and 2 others like this.
  6. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Indians suffer a lot because of their humungous population, still they don't learn their lessons.

OP, kindly resist yielding to pressures!

sindmani, Umanga, vidukarth and 3 others like this.
  7. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I have a only child and I read this article few months back in cafemom.com. I was like...I am not alone!. Every word said in that article including this piece you have posted is soooooooo truee!!!

People should not interfere in such matters

sindmani and racr like this.
  8. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

No its not at all a crime. My mom and dad had took similar decision almost 30 years back and they had go through lots of such Y's. I too never had any issues in my childhood but after my marriage i felt bad when my mil even started speaking bad about my parents....i listened to her quietly for few times but later i repented back nicely as she never dare to take up the issue again in front of me.
    I too dont why they want to interfere in other's issues so deeply. When we study they love ask when you will be going job, after job when is your marriage, after marriage when's first baby and later the second one...oooooooooooh the list never ends.. Whenever few like people love to throw continous Q's as much possible. Even some people ask me when you will comeback and settle down in India..that too in front of my mom and dad too make them feel awful and some people make me embarass how i have left my dad and mom alone..I hate to meet like such people.Sorry for a long vent.

sindmani, Umanga, Joyoflife and 7 others like this.
  9. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

Good to know there are ppl who think this way. I get this question asked constantly. Its as if some written rule that we should have more than 1 kid. I used to smile before, just to avoid more questioning. Now I simply respond we are happy with one child.
    Sometimes my DD asks me how come she doesn't have a brother or sister like her frens. I tell her she has cousins and they are all her brothers and sisters, just that we live in diff homes.

2 people like this.
  10. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My older sister got asked "why no baby" after a year of marriage. Her deal MIL told everybody to mind their own business...they would have when ready. She conceived just before I got married. Now it was my turn to be asked. After a lot of issues and a few miscarriages I successfully had a son. Then 4 years later my sister had an unplanned pregnancy. After her daughter was born, my BIL laughingly told me to be prepared to answer the 'no second baby?' question from everybody. So when I went to India for a vacation I was prepared. Got asked by a few nosy "friends"...my reply was: Even I want, unfortunately Wal-Mart said they are out of stock at the moment. Shut them up immediately and left them so dazed, I could easily change the topic or just walk away.
    But like Savyasaachi said, they don't know whether we wanted only one child, or whether we want more, but are unable to conceive. When we had issues getting pregnant for the first time, my husband told my MIL on the phone to stop asking if there was any news. He told her that if there was something to share we would. And the more she pesters us, the more we would end up delaying. Love him for that.