Is anybody a elementary school teacher in US?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Sansub, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Sansub

Sansub Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies!!!

Is anybody working as elementary school teacher here is US? I am in Virginia. I wanted to know the procedure for becoming a school teacher. Do I have to go to college to be qualified? Can anybody who has experience throw some light on it?

Any inputs are welcome...

2. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

I am not a teacher,but i am also trying to get a teaching job in US.
    As far as I know, to become a teacher in US,we need to follow the rules of the state we intend to work.If you earned a degree in other country,then it should be evaluated with WES or AACRAO to prove the equivalency with the USA degree.This evaluation is a must for all the states to get a certification.If your degree is in education,it is easy to get the certification.If not,some more options are there for getting certification.
    I earned a degree in education and having some years of teaching experience (in India). Now started the certification process in US.
    If you have any further details let us share.
    All the best!!!!!!!!!

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Once your Indian degree is evaluated to its US equivalency, they will tell you how many credits you need under different subjects...you will have to do some courses in teaching reading....that is compulsory for teachers of all subjects. with the requirements under no child left behind your certification will also depend on your bachelor's degree. A lot of people work as TAs in schools and get their certification courses...the school district pays for the required coursework, one course per semester. That may have changed with the economic crunch but if your schedule permits you can do that and get hands on experience in the classroom before you go on to become a full fledged teacher. Good luck.

2 people like this.
  4. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

Teacher,
    thank you for the info.Can you tell us how to get the TA job-should we register in our Parish board or we can directly contact the school for vacancy availability?Is this TA is the same as substitute teacher?

5. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

Teaching is a profession, like being a doctor or a lawyer. Like members of other professions, you need to go to school to become a teacher. There are different types of teacher preparation programs, depending on your education level and experience.

1. Teacher Preparation Programs Teacher Preparation Programs | Teach.gov
    Licensing and Certification Requirements : To teach, you must have a teaching license/certification. Each state has its own certification requirements, which typically include the following components:

Education: All states require that you have a bachelor’s degree at a minimum, and have completed a traditional or alternative teacher preparation program. To get your certification you will need to supply college transcripts and other verification.
    Testing: States require that you complete a general teaching certification exam, such as a Praxis test ( http://www.ets.org/praxis ), as well as a content-specific test for the subject(s) that you want to teach.
    Student/Mentored Teaching: Many states require student teaching experience and/or first year mentoring of new teachers.
    Background Check: States conduct criminal background checks and may also confirm citizenship status.

Remember, states are responsible for teacher licensure/certification. Requirements vary from state to state.

Licensing and Certification Requirements | Teach.gov

3. Certification Map : Teacher Certification Map | Become a Teacher
    4. Path 2 teaching : Path to Teaching | Teach.gov
    5. Center for Alternative Certification : Provides information and answers to questions about alternative routes to becoming a teacher in the U.S. Welcome to Teach-Now.org
    6. Teach for America : If you are a recent college graduate, find out about this opportunity to teach for two years in an urban or rural public school.
    Teach For America | Home

2 people like this.
  6. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

You may also need to take the Praxis exam (or at least I did-I'm qualified for grades 6-12). I have a BA and an MA (neither in teaching), and so had to take classes for classroom planning, syllabus creation, how to teach, etc. There are alternative licensing programs out there, and the requirements vary from state to state, but the Praxis is the nationwide exam, and each state has their own alternative exam I think.
    Elementary school teachers need to be well-rounded-many states won't license elementary school teachers that don't have a degree in elementary education. They will, however, often license non-education degree holders for middle or high school as these levels have more specific classes-history, science, math, English all taught by different teachers, not by one person in the classroom at the elementary level. (My certificates are in English and History/Social Studies.)

7. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

Nettem,
    you always give full details for any request. This is very useful.Thank you.Please continue.
    cissyboo,
    I have my undergraduate degree in Science and separate undergraduate degree on Education. Do you think I need to write Praxis exam?Both my degrees are earned in India.If I don't need to do Praxis, For which grade I am qualified in USA,you have any idea?

8. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

I plan to work in an Elementary school, should I need to write PRAXIS for Elementary teacher Certification also ? Some one please reply.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Yes. Praxis is mandatory for a teaching position and infact even teachers later have t take periodically to continue to keep their license.

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Once you get your Indian courses evaluated you will have to check with the requirements for elementary certification in your state.

Plus, some states will not certify unless you are a citizen or permanent resident...check that requirement as well. If you have prior experience in India you can sign up with the local school district for substitute teaching jobs..or even with agencies like CARE. That may not have tuition supplement as a benefit. But some school districts do assist their employees towards certification and degree.