Interview Rejection

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by tuffyshri, May 17, 2016.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

I am on a break bcoz of my baby (3 years old now). But now very desparate of getting a job but nothing is clicking. After so many days a telephonic round was set today... everything was going fine until my 3 year old started banging at my doors just bcoz she wanted to use the loo inside the room and she did nt want to use main one (I sat inside bedroom with door being locked). I ignored it for sometime but started fumbling very badly bcoz my attention completely shifted to her. So I excused and attended her for like just 2 seconds. But after that the interviewer hung up on me.. sure I am rejected. Am sooooooooooo upset by this!!! yes I should have taken care of this situation well before... but kids are sooo unpredictable. am so sad :(

2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Do you have someone else to take care of your kid while attending interviews? If possible, may be your DH can do WFH for the time you attend the interview.

I can understand how you feel. Once while attending an interview my dog decided it was time to chase the evil (neighbor's)cat away from our house. My interviewer got irritated. You know, attending all these interviews can be really hard especially when you are desperate, but I would suggest you to keep an open mind. Just attend it and forget it unil you are called for next round. Nothing much can be done by fretting.

In my previous interview, I did so bad the interviewer seemed to abruptly disconnect the call. I was sure the interview failed and cried my heart out. I was so desperate for a job. I got a call the next day for the second round. You never know what would happen. Just go with the flow. Now that the interview is over, start preparing for next interviews.

One tip, I used to record all my interviews and listen to myself to know what went wrong. It is very helpful as the technical knowledge is alone not sufficient, you also need to work on the attitude and presentation. Good luck!

3. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Check if you canleave your kid for a few hours in a friends house/daycare before scheduling interviews

tuffyshri and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

Sorry to hear so, but since you asked before being excused and that you were back in 2 seconds as mentioned I don't understand why they would reject you. Anyhow, don't think it was appropriate from the interviewer's side to disconnect the line without another word.

Just a thought- what if the call dropped? How about mailing them?

All the best!

tuffyshri likes this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Try to schedule on timings when u can leave kid at daycare or
    U take call at some friends house and leave kid at home with H

U may request for another time for interview , if u think interview was going good as no employer wants to loose best fit candidates,

tuffyshri likes this.
  6. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

@tuffyshri Whatever happened is happened. Just prepare yourself next time with proper arrangements.

tuffyshri likes this.
  7. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for the support. Yes this is a learning that I cannot take it at home when my kid is around. As I said since this is the 'first' call after so long... didnt prepare for it. Yet it was a big company to lose, that part hurts!! :-(

8. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing your experience @jillcastle. That helps and kindled a small hope in me

9. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

@meril - not exactly did he hung on me.. for formality he asked one more question and hung up. And the interview got wrapped in like just 20 mins.. thats why am sure that i got rejected

10. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Maybe the interviewer had many other candidates to interview hence din't spend much time to interview you? If this is a first level interview this makes sense..anyway do make proper arrangements for childcare next time onwards so that you can focus without any distraction.