Innovative Upanayanam/Poonal Ideas

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by sssowmya, Mar 17, 2011.

1. sssowmya

sssowmya New IL'ite

Hi All,
    We have planned to do upanayanam function for our son this summer in Chennai.I want to know what is the latest trend to entertain the guests on udagasanthi day(i.e the previous day of poonal).For now I plan to arrange for a concert. I was also thinking if it is ok to arrange for any mehndi party for the ladies and kids who come. What else can I arrange for udagasanthi function.If anyone can think of something else,your suggestions and ideas are most welcome. Also I want to know any innovative return gift ideas around Rs.500.
    Sowmya.

2. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,

For kids you can arrange a colouring competition and arrange for games and a small magic show if you are interested.
    For return gifts, you can buy small silver lamps or gold embossed photos of lord which will be treasured by all in their pooja rooms.

Hope others also share some good tips.

Parvathi.

3. Bts

Bts Junior IL'ite

Hey
    Nice to know that you are planning to do upanayanam.
    Your ideas of mehendi and Concert is very good.
    Also you can arrange Veda parayanam of all 4 vedas for one or few days .
    Veda samrakshanam is our kartavya ( its our duty to treasure vedas ) . This way you can honour veda pandits who rely on such occasions for daily bread. Be choosy to invite well learned and not commercial pandits. They are still very much there.

Also you can print a booklet with information on why upanayanam.The Vaideikam ( ie rituals) in this function .

Why not some goodbook about scriptures with explanation .Many of us dont even have such book at our homes.