1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

" Indira Gandhi " That We Don't Know

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by VRajesh, Jun 22, 2009.

1. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

" Indira Gandhi " That We Don't Know

Well readers everyone knows Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi popularly known as Indira Gandhi. Here we explore the hidden and unknown aspects of her life and family.

Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi (19 November 1917 – 31 October 1984) was the Prime Minister of the Republic of India for three consecutive terms from 1966 to 1977 and for a fourth term from 1980 until her assassination in 1984, a total of fifteen years. She was India's first and, to date, only female Prime Minister.

When Indira wad sixteen years old, she graduated from the Poona school and continued her education at Shantineketan.
    Indira accompanied her unvle to many ancient historic sites in Kashmir. They went to the Ramakrishna Mission at belur, near Kolkata where Indira and her mother spent many days peacefully sitting by the river focusing on their own thoughts.

Indira made an important decision at the mission. Her friend, Feroze had asked her to marry him. She told him that she would give him her answer before she left for school.

In 1937 Indira passed the entrance exam for Somerville College at Oxford. Although Indira was happy at oxford, she felt that she should be helping her country realize its of independence rather than sitting in a classroom listening to lectures.

Indira became ill with Pleurisy, an illness that is usually caused by an infection in lungs that brings chest pain and coughing. She was sent to Switzerland after her second term at Oxford and then returned to England. Indira knew that she would find it difficult to return to India.

Indira was there in London when World War II began in England, she soon realized that England was too dangerous and wanted to go home. Feroze decided to travel with her, so they set out on a ship which took a long journey around the Cape Of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa.

In March 1941, when twenty-fours years old Indira arrived in Bombay on the west coast of India, no family members or no well-wishers were there to greet her. her father was once again in prison, along with many other Indians.

After her father returned from prison. She finally told Jawaharlal about her plans. He was not unhappy that Indira wanted to marry, but that she was wanted to marry Fezore.

Nehru's family had known and liked Feroze for many years, but they felt that he was not a fit candidate for Indira. Jawaharlal wanted to stop the marriage if possible. He gave Indira the usual fatherly advice about not rushing into marriage, giving herself a chance to meet other eligible young men.

The news of this marriage eventually reached Mohanda Karamchand Gandhi. He urgently called Nehru and practically ordered him to ask that young man to change his name from khan to Gandhi. It has nothing to do with change of religion, from Islam to Hinduism for instance. It was just a case of a change of name by an affidavit. And so Feroze khan became Feroze Gandhi.

Now, who is Feroze ?

We heard from many that he was the son of the family grocer ( who supplies wine to Anand Bhavan).
    Feroze's mother's family name was Ghandy, often associated with Parsis and this was changed to Gandhi

Jawaharlal finally gave his approval, and the date was set for March 26, 1942. Indira and Feroze were married at Anand Bhavan.

In September of 1942, Indira and Feroze were arrested due to popularizing slogans against British. For Indira , prison was an eye-opening experience, known many valuable things.

By December of 1943, Indira realized that she was pregnant. She was thrilled. She went to Mumbai to stay with her aunt. On August 20, 1944, Indira gave birth to a healthy boy. Whom she named Rajiv Ratna.

It is said that after Rajiv's birth Indira and Feroze lived separately, but they were not divorced.
    Feroze used to harass Nehru frequently for money and also interfere in Nehru's political activities. Nehru got fed up and left instructions not to allow him into the Prime Minister's residence Trimurthi Bhavan.
    Death of Feroze came as a relief to Nehru and Indira. The death of Feroze in 1960 before he could consolidate his own political forces, is itself a mystery. Feroze had even planned to remarry.

*Removed few lines as some user is not feeling comfortable to accept them.

The second son was originally named Sanjiv. It rhymed with Rajiv. It was changed to Sanjay when he was arrested by British Police in England and his passport impounded, for having stolen a car.
    Krishna Menon was then India's High Commissioner in London. He offered to issue another passport to the felon who changed his name to Sanjay.

It was always believed that Sanjay used to blackmail Indira and due to this she used to turn a blind eye when Sanjaystarted to run the country as though it were his personal freedom.

Was he black mailing her with the secret of who his real father was ?

When the news of Sanjay's death reached Indira, the first thing she wanted to know was about the bunch of keys which Sanjay had with him.

Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting. : -Napoleon Hill

Even though Indira achieved victory by becoming Highest ruler of India But she failed in maintaining that victory, It is said that due to Operation Blue Star carried out by her she was assassinated.

According to information available immediately following the incident, Beant Singh shot her three times using his side-arm and Satwant Singh fired 30 rounds , using a Sten sub machine gun. Beant Singh was shot dead and Satwant Singh was shot and arrested by her other bodyguards.

PS : I have collected the information from many sources after accumulating all the details and facts I wrote this story.
    I wrote this not to criticize any person here just to tell few unknown details of Mrs. Indira Gandhi and her life.

2. aparajithaa

aparajithaa Bronze IL'ite

nice write up.looking neat and easy to read even though it is long..and yeah indeed something from unknown side of her..I knew about feroz khan name change..but didnt knew this sanjay gandhi's story and her remarraige..about how feroz frustrated them..thanks for the share rajesh..

3. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi aparajitha,

i am very glad that you liked my blog.

thank you very much for your comments.

cheers
    Raj

4. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the sharing many truths about her life which most of us may not be awared of..

5. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Deepali

thanks a lot.

Yes my main aim in presenting this story is to tell few unknown truths about her life.

I am very glad you learn something from this.

Raj

6. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Thanks for revealing unknown information about Indira Gandhi.

7. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anabika,

It's my pleasure that I could help you in gaining some unknown information about her.

Do visit my other blogs also.

thanks for you comments.

Raj

8. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

That was a good info on Indira Gandhi, i guess not many know abt all these facts abt Indira gandhi.

Nice work! Kuddos.

9. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Mr Rajesh,

Although some of the points you have raised are true , such as- Feroze Gandhi was originally Feroze Khan [ born to a Parsi mother and a Musim Father], - Sanjay Gandhi was never the son of Mohammed Younous. Sanjay Gandhi was the biological son of Indira Gandhi and Feroze Gandhi-

Mr Rajesh, providing this wrong information about the real father of Sanjay Gandhi in a public forum may backfire against you and you may be dragged to court for defaming our late Prime Minister.
    So be careful before providing such mis-information.

This mis-information was originally published by the Hinduvta forces/BJP propaganda to malign Indira {and the Congress } and it is still doing the rounds in internet. This conspiracy theory was floated to show that Indira Gandhi had a soft spot for the Muslims by marrying Feroze Gandhi and later having her second child with another Muslim Gentleman.

10. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Depressed.

Sorry to say that not everything you will known in this world. If its wrong in your view doesn't mean its completely wrong. I have studied well before putting my words here. If you wanted to learn and known about certain things then I suggest you to have a look for title called Secrets of Nehru/Gandhi . Even I have lot of information about some of unbelievable truth about there family but people like you wont believe and intern may talk about legal and law so as I didn't put forth those details.

Ok if its so much hurting you to knew few things then sure I will remove that information. Hope at least you will be happy.

Raj