1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-laws making a distinction between you and your spouse!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Visu2k, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

My MIL always stayed with my wife helping her as we are not settled yet. These days I am doing work from home just to be living together with my wife till she gets a transfer, which doesn't seem to happen any sooner. I don't like my MIL because of some past incidents (some of which I will elaborate below) but I don't have issues with her living with us. It is even not the case that my wife is dependent on her mother for household help as she herself gets two attendants being a sarkari officer and there are times when her mother is away for few weeks.

Curiously my MIL or FIL, never visit me and my parents (my father died and only mother and a physically handicapped elder sister live with me) in my place - unless there is an emergency. The three times they visited my place was when my father got a fractured hip, when he died and when I bought a new house. So I even know that it is OK for them to live at my wife's place of work but not at my place. But I view it as a childish behavior on their part as neither me nor my wife make a distinction between our two homes - they both are our homes.

In the past my MIL has serious objections with my parents (my blind father aged 70, mother aged 68, and physically handicapped sister) living with me. She even abused them saying that they entrenched themselves in between me and my wife. My wife too felt that I have to send my parents to our home town and send them money but never keep them with me and at one point kept that as a condition for us to live together. Curiously she said that she would keep them with her when they are old enough and needed help. But I never agreed. I said, that I can keep them near to me if she doesn't want them to live. I earn much more than enough to maintain two houses in BLR if needed.

Nowadays my wife has accepted my parents (after my father's death) and she never brings the topic of sending them to our hometown. I too never broach the topic and I even prepared my mother and sister, that once my wife gets a transfer, they need to live separately but I would keep them near to where we live. I told them that I will never make any request to my wife regarding them. This approach is seeming to work as my wife is mingling a lot with my mother and sister in her recent visits. She even insisted me to bring them along for a visit to a water park, which everyone of us enjoyed a lot. My self-respect was so hurt wanting my wife to accept my parents in the past that I now made up my mind never to request a single thing from her regarding my parents.

But when I think about all these incidents (and many more to elaborate in a single post), I find it funny that the wheel of karma made a full turn, with her parents wanting to spend time with their daughter (child and son in law too as these days I am working from my wife's place of work). My wife insists that my MIL is staying with us just to help her with the household work. I laugh and tell her that there is no need to justify her mother/father's stay with us, but at the same time never expect me to be very open with them / talk with them freely. Sometimes she cries that I am not respecting her parents, not talking with them - I simply tell her that she was out of picture when they were insulting me and my family - so she should not worry even now.

What do you think about such in laws for whom it is acceptable to live with their earning daughter (with a sense of entitlement) but ego comes (because of past incidents) to even visit their son-in-laws home? I find them funny to say the least! :thumbsup

2. Ajith

Ajith Silver IL'ite

Visu,

*Sarcasm mode ON*

Are you sure you are posting this in the correct forum? This is IndusLadies - DILs' lala land where you read mostly about MILs atrocities and injustices to DILs not SILs.

*Sarcasm mode OFF*

OK, I am just kidding.:):) Hope you get some useful response. I am in a similar boat like you, so I am unable to offer any suggestion. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Visu,

I don't agree with your wife's double standards. If she wanted neither sets of parents to visit, I would think "that's ok, maybe she just needs her own space right now." But since it's only your family that's being kept away, seems to me that your wife isn't being fair. shakehead

I'm glad to see though that she is starting to make some effort at bonding with your mom and sis. Maybe you can invite them over for a short stay and see how it goes? Could be your wife is slowly changing her outlook. Anyways, I think you should have a talk with your wife and ask why it's ok for her family to come and visit, but not your family.

As for "not respecting her parents", I think the very fact that you allow them to visit so often without any hassle shows your respect for them. She should not be forcing you to "be open" or "talk freely" with them... yes they are your inlaws, but doesn't mean you have to put on a fake act just to please them or your wife. It you're being courteous, that's enough. Unless your wife is willing to go ga-ga over your family, she shouldn't expect you to do the same for her side.

Only thing I want to mention is, even if your wife starts interacting better with your mom and sis, don't pressure her to have them come live with you. That's the only point I agree with your wife on. I believe it's every spouses right to chose whether they want joint famliy or single family setup. So if your wife has chosen 'single family', I hope you continue to honor her decision. Keep in mind that just because she doesn't want to live with your mom and sis, doesn't mean she dislikes them. I love my mom and brother, but wouldn't want to live with them. Does that mean I secretly resent them? No! I just prefer single family setup. Possibly your wife feels the same way. So if she's interacting well with your mom and sis, don't overanalyze the situation by guessing her intentions.

Visu, if your mil is coming into your home and causing trouble, or talking bad about your family :rant, I think you need to put a stop to it. You don't deserve to be disrespected in your own home. Also, you need to work out a way where both you and your wife are getting equal time with your families. Just talk to your wife Visu. Don't get defensive or entangled in 'self-respect' issues.... just stick to the issue and avoid the drama.

Good luck! :thumbsup

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Visu ,

ASG has articulated it well ! Rules are rules for a man or woman. Your wife is not justifyng by whatever she says, about her mommy there to help.
    Once the marriage is over, the parents of both the sides need to draw a line and leave the couple alone. It is upto their heads on how to handle their lives ! If they fail, it is alright.. they will learn from their mistakes and come out of it. It is always irritating when the parent of either husband and wife get overly involved in the couples' lives. When a lady comes here posting that her MIL is ' interfering ' she must also not let her parents ' interfere. I remember another poster here, whose life is getting wrecked simply because her father didnt put the phone down when he had to. Now, he puts the daughter in dilema like choosing between father and husband ! Sounds ridiculous to me !

You have been quite practical in handling the issue.. An approach which makes your mindset clear to both your wife and your mommy/ sister. It is always necessary to give space in any relationship. If now, you arent being the forgiving angel.. oh it is alright ! When things had to be set right and stuff had to be told.. it NEEDS to be. There is not point in digging the past and undoing it now !

As ASG said.. just being cordial with your inlaws itself is a big deal.. You arent throwing unecessary tantrums ! So, way to go , Visu !:thumbsup

BTW Ajith ,

Visu quite wel knows that this community is a no-nonsense one ! You are yet to understand that.. :) That is the reason he for sure knows that he has been right to post it here.. This isnt a lala land for the women ' only ' to talk about the attorcities they are facing.. It is simply that women get here more often.. They dont get anyone else to talk to.. With parents telling ' dont come back complaining .. handle it yourself ' . Dont make the society talk ill about you or about the way you were brought up by us ' . Some parents' involve and matters can become worse because the husband's parents and the husband itself may feel that their daughter is no more ' the parents' property ' ! ( I hate that word though :) .. ! )
    So, with many women having no one to turn to.. they turn in here for some solace or just for some clarity on the issues. They woudlnt want to give up their husband's or inlaws " good " deeds to their siblings, parents or even their peers / relatves.. They instead come here.. Dowry and stuff happens more related to women and not amongst men.. We have read soo many instances ( Visu has been giving awesome advices / support too ) were the husbands beat the wives.. It has never happened that the wife beat her husband.. Atleast not in IL ! :) I remember my domestic help in Bangalore telling me she once beat her husband because he was beating their daughter as he was drunk. He was getting so uncontrollable that she had to beat him. Now, let me tell you this - He comes home every nght drunk and beats her up but she hasnt raised her hand at him.. But when it came to her kids.. She did !

There was another instance here in IL where a father encouraged his 8 year old son to hold the mom's leg when he kicked his wife.. Now, I am yet to see a wife doing it to her husband ! So, it is not about any female blah blah community, Ajith. It is just about PROBLEMS..

Sorry, Visu for sharing this space of yours.. I simply didnt want those people who have/ had come here with their painful stories to feel ridiculed. That is all.. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Let me give more information so that my wife could be understood better. My eldest sister could not be married because both her her lower limbs were fully affected by polio paralysis and my father brought her up and prepared her early from teenage that she can't be married. He always ensured my sister was happy and my sister was automatically included in every family event and we as children took it as "matter of factly", that "Peddakka" is like that only and never viewed her as any special. He brought her up to be very independent (she rides a three wheeler, does household work, buys groceries, even though not very good in studies she even did a job and met some of my expenses while I was in school when we were in a tight financial situation)

During our engagement time, I told my wife how my old parents were worried about my physically handicapped sister and that they wanted us to take care of her after them. My wife agreed to it and even said that my respect towards my own parents reflects on how caring I am and even said that her mom said that one who couldn't respect his parents during old age can't be trusted to take care of his wife too (or something to that effect)

In the past, I was very stubborn about my parents staying with us once we settle down together (it is another thing that we were not even settled after 6 yrs of marriage!). I used to ask my wife to take my parents with her to her place of work, keep them with her, when I was on an onsite assignment - she fully resisted it. Her argument used to be "how come they were living alone while I was onsite before marriage" and that "my parents are old and she doesn't have enough time to take care of a baby and old people" and "her mother being nearly 10 years younger than my mother, can help her with our very active baby than my older mother who can't run behind him".

I being newly married, young and inexperienced, took it all on my ego and used to fight with her. I foolishly used sentences like "I won't leave my parents come whatever may". This made my wife hurt a lot thinking that my parents were more important to me than her. This is not at all true. I know that I cannot even continue for a single day without talking to my dear wife - in fact, I can't even work if we have a tiff. I end up asking her to cheer up or relate her something silly and romantic that happened during our courtship. Once she began to talk normally, I would feel so relieved.

I used to think a lot and tried to think from my wife's perspective. I soon realized, that the problem was not at all with my wife. I didn't give her a choice and tried to force upon her my own problems. Also I didn't make it clear to my wife that my parents will be staying with us sooner than later - she only got an impression that they will be staying away and we would be only taking them in when one of them becomes too old to take care of themselves. But the fact that my father completely lost his eyesight and used to became too emotional (when my father was young, I never saw him even cry for once, now after losing his eyesight he used to break down often) and the fact he seriously fell ill due to hot summer in our home town twice - forced me (story here) to bring all of them together to live with me in BLR. So in a way we both were right in our points of view.

Also my father was short tempered. There were some fights over phone between my father and her parents, in which some strong words were exchanged. I was entirely against our parents interfering in our family affairs. My wife on the other hand never used to find fault with her mother using some offensive words (at least she never made it apparent to me that she controlled her parents) - saying that she is hurt and in a way justified her mother. She always defended her mother even when she insulted me, saying that she is correct when I used to complain to her. This used to hurt me a lot and in fact helped me to mold myself in a way that I now never give a chance where I would put myself compared to her mother. I from my side completely controlled my parents saying that they have no business interfering in my married life and that they should put the phone down if my in laws become abusive. Once my parents and wife sent me off to an onsite assignment and after returnign my father being my father - unncessarily used a sentence to the effect "come whatever may I won't leave my son". I don't know the exact sentence he used, but my wife got the impression that my father would not leave me even if we both were to separate. Later my wife never visited my parents for almost half a year - my parents didn't see my child and DIL for half a year. She used to always say that she is hurt by my father's sentence and that she won't go there with that feeling in her. Later my mother has to undergo an operation and by God's grace my wife visited my parents during that time. Within a few weeks after that operation my father passed way. To this day, I really feel so lucky that my wife visited at least once before my father passed away - otherwise it would have been very difficult for me to reconcile the fact - had it been that my father passed away without seeing his DIL and son for such a long time before his death.

Also all through this time my wife used to live in Mysore and I in BLR. I used my salary for rents, household expenses, travel and saving. She used to buy everything for our child - toys, clothes, medicines for his dry skin - practically everything. Her salary was much lesser than mine, but she used to get many perks like attendants, official apartment, club, vehicle, driver etc. She used to never ask me money for anything and if she did I would have gladly given her. I though since she is anyway spending a lot, why should I compete with her and anyway she would ask me if she needs any money. At that time, I was a fool to have bought very few things for my child and wife. My wife even though she never asked me, secretly she felt happy if ever I bought anything for her. My MIL unncessarily interfered in this matter and indirectly insulted me before my sisters. She said that I am spending everything on my parents and not even responsible for my own family - my wife and child. I complained to my wife, who in turn asked me to talk to her mother directly. Her mother refused to talk to me telling me to bring elders! I felt so much snubbed that day. I was full of bitterness for these so called parents, her mother, my father to interfere in our affairs and my wife never asking her mother to back out. I was in a tight spot at that time that even if I start spending on my family lavishly, it would be because that my MIL reprimanded me and not because I would want to. Truth be told, I would have taken care of whole household expenses of my wife, if ever she asked me, but then she won't. Also I was a real fool to expect my wife to ask me, a real caring man would have understood his wife, even if she does'nt explicitly ask him. But give me a break, I was still newly married and learning things at that time. I never knew the intricacies of a woman's thinking. That she would feel happy if I do something on my own to her and our child. That she would never ask me and that I have to do things on my own. Whew, that was the biggest lesson of my life! Only bitter thing in all this is my MIL butting in on behalf of my wife and my wife not even once complaining to me that she doesn't like the way that I am not caring enough for her and the baby.

Things nowadays have mellowed down a lot after my father's death. I have changed my job into a new one that paid almost double than my previous job - even though with lot more responsibility, hectic career, meetings eating into my evenings. I am now stuffing my wife with money without her asking me, as I know she would like it that I am caring on my own for my family without her asking for it. My wife also began to realize that she is the most important person in my life and my parents would only come after her. This I think helped her in viewing my parents not as enemies as before. She is now, as I said, interacting a lot with my mother and sister and often asking me about them. When my elder sister is going to visit my second sister, she even agreed to bring my mother along with me to stay, while I work from home in Mysore. My MIL stopped completely interfering in our life for almost 2 years now. My father after his death and my mother being the sweet lady she is, there are no parents arguing and battling out on our behalf - even if we didn't require their support.

Also I owe it to Indus Ladies to have drilled into my mind that part of problem lies with me staying away from my wife. And these days, I work from home and try to spend most of my days being with my wife and child. My son is increasingly including in all his activities and mentioning "nannagaru" a zillion times a day. Even if they don't say explicitly, I think even my MIL/FIL secretly like it that we are staying together - that is what they wanted all through out that we should have our own time and falsely thought my parents would interfere in our lives. I now no more require my wife to take my mother or sister in when we settle down together. There is no more bitterness, I come to accept the fact that my wife's desire to live with her own small family is her right and that any acceptance of my parents should come from her, on her own, rather than me asking her.

Thanks ASG, for your thoughtful response, it is so simple yet to the point. But going by what I wrote you will agree that my wife doesn't have "double standards" and part of the problem lies in my earlier behavior too. Thanks also Dr. Preethi, your thoughts are always so sharp and clear and are like a whiff of fresh air to an otherwise gloomy mind!

Needless to say, it helped me a lot in offloading any bitterness that is still left in me because of those past incidents. The present and future look so bright and beautiful and it is only me who could make things rosy or awful than they already are. This feeling of control makes me feel much better these days!

6. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Visu,

I am really surprised about you, can men really have such a clear thinking about their wives and their married life. I really appreciate you for becoming so understanding towards your life and your wife. I am in such a situation right now as your wife, where I feel that my DH gives priority to his mom's feelings than mine. Even my DH used the same exact words that "he will never leave his family, come what may" , that too just after one month of marriage, now its been 3 years and only yesterday i exposed my in-security to my DH. He is very upset now, I feel bad to see him upset, dont know how to make him normal. Hope my DH understands me and we lead a happy life. Really its the parents involvement which creates havoc. In my case its my MIL who is doing that. I keep my mother informed about the problems created by her, but my mom advices me to take it with patience and she never interferes. My life will be better if my MIL stops poking her nose in our life.

Sorry for venting my issues in your post, never thought of doing that, but was really pleasantly surprised to see a guy with such good understanding.

Hats off to you!!! :thumbsup

7. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

visu: i am glad you are working life out with your wife. and making peace with the responsibility of how to manage care of all the parents.. yes, some women dont like asking for things, they hope that their husband loves them and understands them well enough to figure out what they should do or provide to make life even better. it is not just money, even the small mercies, a little word and spontaneous gestures make such a difference. good luck to you.

well dr preethis: indian wives getting violent not seen in IL? i am surprised. It happens quite a lot too. these days, as many women as men are messed up and go about beating up the spouse and the kids, not just vocal abuse.. the men dont retaliate even if they are physically strong enough to (their q is : what is the difference between her and me, but they do protect the kids being beaten up in their presence) and the kids dont dare... lives go on in this miserable fashion until the kids are old enough and encourage dad to a divorce and take them away from mom....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hey Visu, I couldnt control my comments so pitched in from no where!

Hats off to you and the way you have dealt with your married life. First of allllll, credit goes to your attitude that your parents n siblings should not interfere in your married life. Most expected problems in a marriage die right there! I am happy to know you thru IL, for you took all efforts in understanding your wife and for the importance you give to her likes and dislikes... you do understand the unspoken words of your wife!! WOW. I dont mean to flatter you.. Believe me, not many men are like you. When my DH understands from my face or a mere look what I feel at that moment, I have that feeling of having everything in my life! I am sure your wife is proud of you man.

dearies ASG and Preethi, I always end up looking for your replies! I learn a lot through them! 'Learn' may sound simple, but means a lot to many girls like me. I have something to tell you both but in a seperate thread or PM. I dont want to divert Visu's topic :)

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Visu,

You are a very level headed type of guy, your wife is very lucky to have you. It takes a lot of maturity to be able to analyze our own behavior, and also to look at both sides of the coin. Very proud that you are part of our indus ladies community!

Only small suggestion I have is, when your mil starts gossiping/complaining/ridiculing your family or you, let your wife handle it. I know some people advocate fighting their own battles, but in a situation like this I really believe it is our spouses responsibility to handle it. Afterall, it's their parents, they are better able to get the point accross without causing more drama. Next time you have a gripe, don't hold it in. Talk to your wife about it and see if she'll confront her mom on your behalf.

It's clear you deeply love your wife... best wishes for a long life together!

10. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Visu,

I read your post with great interest and you sure seem like a person who understands himself very well. I have always believed that realization is the first and the most difficult step to bring about any change in one's life. Unfortunately a lot of us get stuck at the realization stage for most of their lives. We fail to realize that if we really want to change things then we have to first realize that WE have a huge role to play in it. Throwing blame on other people, on situations and on cirucmstances helps noone. Anyway. You come across as the type who has quickly mastered the realization phase and so I think you only have a bright and positive future.

I also wanted explicitly and emphatically mention that your wife has heart of gold. And I can tell for sure that she loves you tremendously. It is easy for us to stand here and judge who was right and who was wrong but to be in her situation and do what she did is not everyone's cup of tea.

As a newly married she was not wrong in feeling and asking for some of the things she did. The expectation may be that she should've been more sacrificial (many times another defintion for understanding) but given that she was young I think it was natural for her to want some of the things (certain amount of freedom, expression of love from you in terms of presents or taking her out or even something small). Also, her letting her Mom have a say in your affairs although not correct was a natural outcome of whom she felt she could depend on without fear. I personally am quite the opposite so please don't think I am defending her. The gist of what I wanted to say is that although she let her Mom interfere earlier in your marriage she hasn't continued it and has made amends since then.

Every Mom wants her kids to have the best. When it comes to her daughters I have seen Moms getting extra cautious and sensitive. When initially you were tending to your side of the family and your wife was fending for herself, I am sure her parents were worried sick for her. That may have made her Mom feel like she has to butt in and "make things right". Again, not saying whether it was right or wrong but let us be honest and recongize certain "givens" and workaround those.

All in all, I think you handled the happenings very well. I am extremely pleased to see that you understand what marriage means - a commitment to take care of each other no matter what.

In a relationhsip like yours where both of you are wonderful human beings and are committed to each other, giving your spouse extra attention, extra care, extra love and affection will always work positively. It may so happen that you will have to initiate first and it may take the other person long to realize how good you have been to them. But it is very much worth the effort. Like in your wife's case I think she has changed for the better as she started seeing positive changes in your behavior. She seems like a very level headed and warm hearted person to me. You will be surprised and shocked to see how many are not able to move on and change themselves for the good as your wife has done. Kudos to her!

Wishing you lovely couple a wonderful and happy married life!

Luv,
    SS

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    Visu2k likes this.