1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

immigrating to canada in december

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by suchitrakumar, Sep 3, 2013.

1. suchitrakumar

suchitrakumar Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    We have submitted our passports for visa stamping and we are expected to land in canada bfore 27 dec.
    I have 3 kids 2 twin girls aged 10 and a boy aged 8.we r migrating as family.we don't have any friends or relatives there.so I need ur help immensely to have peace landing.
    Heard abt the weather and wondering what to bring and what not to.pls can anyone help me.
    Very much confused abt the packing.
    Waiting for the guidelines.

Suchitrakumar.

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Congrats!! and let me be the first to welcome you in Canada!!! You are landing in Dec when winter starts here so I would suggest bringing warm clothes. You will need winter jackets which is water prof, full sleeves tops, full pants and under pants to keep you warm in freezing temperatures.

You might want to bring basic kitchen items (like karahi, pressure cooker,tawa) although you can get everything here.

Schools have already started here and your children can join in Jan as we have Christmas holidays till 2 or 3 Jan. Depending on where you live will determine which schools your kids will go to, as schools have boundaries.

All the best and wishing you a safe landing.

3. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Yes just like anmolhai said above it will be in the thick of winter dress warm when you land. Make sure to bring a medical of all the vaccinations your kids have taken as they will need it for entry to any school here. Good luck

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Exciting times ahead. Do you have to land in a specific city? I know canada has some provincial programs which requires us to land and live in that province. Eg the quebec program.
    If I had to immigrate again I would
    1. Pack big items that i don't want to sell and ship them. Eg. Furniture, clothes.
    2. Take my kitchen items that are expensive enough to be taken. I would take my indian cooking items for sure.
    3. Shortlist s chools for the kids
    4. Start looking for jobs for both of you.
    5. Start looking for accommodation. May be reserve hotel rooms for a week to settle down.
    6 . definitely buy winter wear - one good jacket, scarf, pair of gloves, winter shoes and socks. You can buy more once you land.

This is my plan when I have to land :)
    If I may ask, when did you do your medical tests? I'm awaiting the passport request.

5. easud

easud New IL'ite

Hi suchitra
    This is sudha from doha.can u pls tell me how many years it took for u for the total immigration process.
    I had spplied in the year 2009 from nairobi africa and also file nmber came
    But later no reply
    Can u pls gve some duggestions as we are much worried
    Thanks
    Sudha