1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Diwali for my daughter's preschool class?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by AmericanBiwi, Oct 11, 2007.

1. AmericanBiwi

AmericanBiwi New IL'ite

Hi all-

I'm hoping to do a Diwali Day for my daughter's preschool class. I have a couple of storybooks about it to read. And I was going to take an easy craft like making a picture of a diya (they're 3 and 4 year olds).

I'm drawing a blank as far as snacks go. My husband (he's originally from the Delhi area) says he doesn't remember any special snacks that are served at Diwali. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? It can be a namkeen or something I make at home, but it probably shouldn't be spicy because most American kids aren't used to spicy foods.

Also, I was going to take bindis for the little girls, but I can't think of any little token like that for the boys. Any ideas?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

2. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi

You can make "Rice Kheer" or to say Rice pudding, its the easiest sweetdish to make and i'm sure Americans are goin to love it... put in very optimum amt of sugar in it, you can out in almonds, cashews, pecans in it...

3. Sri2007

Sri2007 New IL'ite

Activities :-

You can buy those color clays and ask them to make diyas
    printout diyas and color
    printout rangolis and color
    or ask them to draw their own rangoli and then color.

Snack :-
    rice kheer/rice pudding,carrot cake, carrot halwa , badam halwa/sweet (avoid if allergic to nuts) or any other sweet.
    u can make those color fryms/applams (which u get in indian grocery stores).. and fry in oil and give like crackers.

have fun

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello,

For the boys; why not give Rakhis. You should be able to find them at the Indian store.Am sure they will have some left over from this years Rakhi sales. Else if you have time you can make your own. Y ou will get all the supplies at the arts and craft stores.e

For the girls , we also get the stick on mehendi tattoos.

As for the food: In the north traditional savories are mathris, chivda, chakli . You can make the mathris at home. Quite easy to make.
    For the sweet, shakapara is a great non messy sweet. I would not recomend anything with milk or nuts for those that are allergic. Besan ladoo is also very to traditional . Our Ms Chitvish microwave ladoo is very easy to make.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
    Vandhana