I have inferiority complex on my written communication

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by EnglishNotGood, Dec 4, 2015.

1. EnglishNotGood

EnglishNotGood Silver IL'ite

Hi , Title of this thread and my screenname says it all.

I work in a job that doesn't require sending tons of E-mails every day. But whenever there is a need, I get super embarrassed when I mix the prepositions of on versus in, at versus in, for versus in and so on. I have listened to online lessons on the prepositions but when I write, I still mess up! Not just the prepositions, my written communication is not that impressive. Oral communication while not great is atleast okay as I have no problem answering interview questions when I switch jobs or day-to-day interactions with colleagues.

Now even my kids make fun of my written English as my writing and communication is based on how I would say in Kannada (my mother tongue). How to overcome such handicap? I want to improve to offer constructive suggestions to my kids in their homework and essays. I read at-least one book's 10-20 pages and newspaper every single day but it has not made significant improvement in how I think. My introduction in how I chose my screenname gives glimpse on why I didn't have opportunity to learn English (through books and magazines) while growing up. So are formative years very important for how to 'think' in English?

Are there any Kannadigas here?

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I see nothing wrong with your writing skills. You seem to have a very good grasp of the language, and you have articulated your problem better than most native speakers could have. Why do you feel there is anything wrong with your writing?

3. EnglishNotGood

Mixing of prepositions and thinking of Kannada word for any situation and translating them to English in head.

For example, in Kannada, we say 'Nimmannu nodi tumba santoshavayitu' when family/friends come/leave; I literally say' we are very happy to see you' eventhough it may have been correct to say 'Thanks for coming'. Tons of examples like this when I say such words and use them in writing too.

Most of family friends in US are all convent educated and they behave like I don't know English very well.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

That probably means that they speak Kannada with an accent!! :wink::rotfl

So what? Just get on with it - writing is a skill like any other. It comes with practice. There is no way around that. The reason most people get frustrated is that it is difficult to measure progress. You might be improving, especially if you are motivated, but you may not realize it!

So, practice, practice, practice. If speaking is important to you, then practice a 'rehearsed spontaneity' (that's what actors and politicians do, for example). Eventually it will become second nature.

Try to find ways of measuring your progress. Whatever method you choose, keep good records of your practice. Nothing succeeds like success.

For writing, especially when you want to make a good impression, you might try a service such as Grammarly.

For a list of some other options, see here. I could go on, but we'll stop here for now!

BTW I agree with Gauri (be warned, she went to a convent school!:eek) - your English is fine. Everything I have said above is based on the assumption that, when it comes to language, there is always another hill to climb, a new peak to conquer.

5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, English will always be a second language to me. I am not a Kannadiga.

Definitely my kids would be proficient than me in that skill. If at all anything that worried me in what you have written is not about the language issue, you are quite good if not better than me, was the criticizing about you by your kids. I am not sure how old they are or how young they are, but they do need to be disciplined. I am not sure how you take it but I would have been offended if any of my kids did the same to me or my husband. We need to teach such issues. Even if in the name of fun, they should be avoiding such things. It is quite easy to pick up bad habits but really tough to leave them.

If only convent educated people have to rise up the ladder, what would other people do? There may be a relative advantage with regards to language but don't think too much on that. I am not one but I haven't thought about it until I read your thread. You have to think positively for your kids to learn from you.

If you are not comfortable talking with such people then leave the conversation to bare minimum as required in work place. Don't ever have to be friends with them. Befriend like minded people and that is what I would do. Not all people can have thick skin, so to avoid pain leave them out of your friends circle. World has enough people around and I am sure you can find another person to be a friend.

Regarding how to improve your language skills Soka had already given enough advice.

Take care,
    Vaidehi

6. EnglishNotGood

No @Vaidehi. They are not teasing me like how the daughter does in 'English-Vinglish' to hurt me but my main worry is I am not able to help them as much as I want to.

@Sokanasanah, you said it. I wish there was a tool to gauge my progress and offer feedback on improvement. Currently, my kids' feedback is one way to see whether I am improving. My ego doesn't want to measure against their feedback :cry:.

I became member here to get practice in writing as people here who don't know me would assess correctly as they don't need to sugarcoat nor they will be unnecessarily hasrh.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Good to hear that.

Don't worry too much. Peace of mind is what is important than anything else.
    English is just a medium of communication, I am sure you would improve with time.
    I am not sure in US, but usually there are lots of books and tools in library which can improve english language skills. Find whether they are around in you local library and use them.

Be positive, actually I really don't find anything wrong in the way you have posted ur thread. What you need is more of a boost of positive energy for your mind..

Thyagarajan and EnglishNotGood like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@EnglishNotGood,

I speak Kannada and from the literal translation in the instance you have provided, I see no problem. I believe our communication especially with friends and family very intricately tied with our emotions and emotional state and there is nothing with that. Personally I have noticed when I am slow in my speech, I tend to be more deliberate and that almost always allows me to express what I intend to, better. I would say it is best to make a mental note of the error and soon you will them not repeating. As for others and their view of you, well let's just say that with focus on yourself and working at what and where you need, you will send them to the sidelines and what they say will not bother you at all.

And then we are all here, come join us and you will have fun!

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

your english is fine. It could be you yourself have developed an idea in your head that you are so so or not up to par.

if preposition usage is the main issue then practice speaking it aloud. Talk to yourself in english as you work in kitchen or do chores. For next few days talk to kids and your h only in English. if you stumble and they correct you just accept the correction and carry on. Your confidence and usage will improve a lot within days.

10. EnglishNotGood

Thanks @Srama and @1Sandhya for your feedback.

Please call me as ENG as it is short form of English as shown in our marks cards:-o.

Currently, the books I am reading are what my DD and DS are reading(Laura Ingall Wilder's little house series and Percy Jackson series). We get SJ Mercury News. I try to read headlines and Local section everyday without fail and LIFE section every Sunday.

Apart from this, there is not much time to do serious reading to improve my skills due to work/cooking/cleaning and helping kids to get ready as day seems to end so quickly these days.

I will try to write here in different threads when I get time. Please correct me whenever I err in any usage and if you notice. I don't mind any feedback (correction or rephrasing).

Thyagarajan, satchitananda and Srama like this.