1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I feel disconnected from my roots

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Confusedchick, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confusedchick

Confusedchick New IL'ite

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Confusedchick

Welcome to indusladies community. It looks like you are really confused.
    Does caste matter so much for you???? Whatever language our grandparent spoke, how did they carry themselves as a couple was of they interest. What is more important is we need to be good human.....
    It is we human who have introduced so many languages and we have formed different communities. In whichever community we are in we need to be good human beings.

3 people like this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Dear confusedchick

Don't get confused about languages or your Roots.You are not disconnected from your Roots.your bond with the roots make you think about languages.Language is only for communication and so you have your own choice.Trend of aborting female babies have changed now as the Girls earn a lot.Living in SIngapore you feel that you are disconnected from Tamil culture but living in Tamilnadu some are deviated from their own culture.I am not finding fault with them but due to some other circumstance this is happening.so be clear in your thoughts and be happy.

4. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Hi confusedchick,

You are still 16yrs old, still young. These things are mundane to think of. Also, contrary to popular belief, Tamil people or any other Indians are shying away from marrying their relatives. Also, there are many love marriages nowadays. You will find yourself eventually.

Yeah Tamil is an ethnicity, not a caste.

5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

You are a Singaporean.

It is not fair on your family's part to force you to identify yourself as a Tamil.
    i grew up in India. But i don't expect my dd to identify herself as an Indian. It is not the end of the world if my children come to love the country where they grow up.

This is a non issue. ignore this and focus on your education now. Just say "yes yes i am an Indian / Tamil" or whatever they want to hear and move on.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.