1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Dunno

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Though different, Feynman wasn’t insisting on opting between a false dichotomy (sensory aesthetics vs scientific observation). He was insinuating of incremental wonder there — don’t be too complacent with the (initial) sensory overload that you tend to be neglectful of the (subsequent) underlying inquiry culminating in a thorough experience.

Explanation: Be hastily tantalised by her known beauty yet be inquiringly factual about what made her so beautiful [despite her tragic death].

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Novalis,

I understood Feynman's view point. My comment was generic in nature without disputing his words of wisdom. Can we be mindful and thoughtful at the same time? Does inquiry drive everything in life? Can I be only in observing mode without associating my thoughts with such observation? Will my observation be tainted by my thoughtful investigation limited by my knowledge? Is that what Satchi is alluding to, to be contented or be happy to be in parking mode called, "I donno"? Is knowing everything an option feasible as a human being?

Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

In your last worded post,

Taxonomy A: Mind, observation, observing mode.

Taxonomy B: Thought, thoughtful investigation, knowledge, inquiry.

Feynman has assured in his flower metaphor that recursive (B) won’t taint but only enhance (A). I have reinforced the same in my anecdotal post. I don’t shovel deep into cyclical philosophy owing to the shortcoming of my synapses. Rest assured, enjoy (B) too with (A) to your inquisitive mileage.

Thyagarajan, jskls and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:In the present competitive universe you got to be jack of all trades and need not be a master of one or many!
    2. The civilisation advanced on account of quest curiosity without which Coulmbus woun’t have ventured to find the new world. Many worlds built one over the other only on account of previous knowledge or you may call it background information.we would’t Have landed on moon to say a small step for me but a giant leap for mankind.
    3. Google helps us including the young minds to widen knowledge in an instant on which one may build his or her narratives. We have seen the young ones out pace the seniors in gathering knowledge and its applications.
    4. A senior dad worried about payment of bills as due date approaches but in a jiffy from his couch boy shows the gadget face evidencing payment stands paid and acknowledged. 5. World is in overdrive while those indifferent to newer science shall feel relegated and might be even miserable at times.
    6. Hundreds of electronic computer games makes improves memory alertness yielding high degree of accuracy efficiency doing much more in minimum time et al. Parents are proud of their kids in such pastime.
    7. I agree with reverence Sri’s remarks that cocoon is a passing stage within which strength builds and wings become strong only to withstand wind and fly once butterfly comes out of it. When I struggle to book a call taxi on my own, a school boy make it for me in a jiffy at the market.
    8. So madam sister there is no “don’t know time” for elders and they have to come out of cocoon in case they are still in it.
    Thanks and Regards.

satchitananda likes this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Satchi another curious post. NASA has posted this on NASA.gov site

What we have learned
    Is like a handful of earth;
    What we have yet to learn
    Is like the whole world
    - Auvaiyar, 4th C poet, India

Katrathu kaimann alavu Kalaathathu ulagalavu. There’s always something to learn in this big universe. I Don’t know much

Sometimes Ignorance is Bliss :)

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shyamala,

7. satchitananda

Dear Viswa,

You know this response of yours gives me an answer to a question I asked a few days ago - why was it we were bored when younger and why does time fly faster today even when there is not so much to do.

Probably what was taken for granted in our times - like the radio, printed media etc. were 'boring'. Nothing new. Then came a new kid on the block which took us by storm - TV, colour TV. Then came computers, E Mail, pagers, mobile phones ..... There is always new to learn. That occupies our minds now - new things to learn, while kids take all that for granted. For them that is nothing very novel. As long as the learning does not stop, it's fine.

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. satchitananda

Hey,

9. satchitananda

True, one can't stay in the cocoon forever. One can hide there when people tend to make fun of one's ignorance. And of course, as I said, the brain does not stop working even in there. So one has to pop out from time to time with questions which never cease.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Wow! Avaiyar on NASA! If 'the more I learn, the better I realize how little I really know" then it will be a wonderful day! I remember seeing a film about Avaiyar at the National Archives in Pune. Wish I could find it somewhere. Would love to watch it again.

jskls and Thyagarajan like this.