1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I chose my date of birth!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Aug 26, 2013.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Ha Ha Ha! A good joke, isn't it? In reality I had the privilege of choosing my date of birth according to my will and pleasure.

Being born a sixth child to my parents it was not a happy occasion to celebrate. I was told there was not even a naming ceremony and even the name also was chosen by me only, but I didn't know what made me to chose this name.

In our childhood there was no hard and fast rules that birth certificate should be given while admitting in a school. Not only that I was sent to the school with my elder brother who was around two years older than me and was in third standard. He was studying in a Panchayat Board School and I was asked to sit in standard one. There were no formalities observed like filling the admission form by parent or guardian.

Later when I joined a school in another city at 4th standard there also no formalities were observed. When I joined another private co-education school at 6th standard the same thing happened. But later when I joined Government Girl's school in fourth form I was asked to give correct date of birth because in those days a book was maintained from fourth form to sixth form in which all the periodical and terminal examinations and other games and physical activities also were written.

I asked my mom to tell me the correct English date of birth. She told me that she could not remember the English date of birth, but the day I was born was Thiruvadipooram, the birth day of Sri Andal. The Tamil month Aadi mostly falls from July 15th to August 15th and so I chose 15th August as my date of birth as I felt very happy on the first Independence day and it was celebrated with much vigour and jubilant in the previous school. Once in a while my birth star also used to fall on 15th August.

Later when my mom started searching for an alliance for me people asked for the horoscope. So my mother went to an astrologer and told him the Tamil year, month and approximate time I was born and he prepared the horoscope. Then we came to know my birth date was July 22nd.

I now have three dates to celebrate my birthday one according to the star which is automatically celebrated in all Vishnu temples as well as Srivaishnava households. 15th August being given as official birthday I get greetings from my bank and other office friends. My poor children and relatives get confused and sometimes they greet me on 22nd July and sometimes on star birthday. Not only they, even I get confused :confused2: when someone wishes me on 22nd July. Once when my grandson called and wished 'Happy birthday' I asked whose birthday it was.

He said, "what grandma, is 22nd July not your birthday?" Then only I realized.

I do not celebrate my birthday by buying new dress or making special sweets and all. On the star birthday I will make payasam for Sri Andal and the Lord Rangamannar.

I have created confusion in IL friends also. Saisakthi greeted me on 22nd and Viji started a thread on 15th August. :hide:

If any one of you also have two/three birthdays please share it here with IL friends.

2. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

I think many who were born in 50s and 60s have this problem.. I've heard from some of my relative aunties saying the same.. To my surprise, one of my friend in UG said she doesnt know her real DOB, since she is 5th daughter and was delivered in her mom's village and no one cared to note down the date and time. So, when she was admitted in school her parents gave some date on their own.

You know something, even i celebrate 3 birthdays.. 1. Star, 2. English Date & 3. Tamil Date.. :p

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Pushpa Mami I also have three dates. My father had a hotel in Chennai ,the when the hotel went on loss we all came to Hyderabad and my father joined his mama in his hotel. Then that hotel was also closed and since my father did not have not much income for one year me and my sister did not go to school. Our neighbour lady she was a teacher and with her recommendation we got admission in a Convent School without fees. She had given my date of birth as 19th June instead of 19th August. So my official birthday is 19th June, Calendar Birthday is 19th August and then star birthday. This year being my 70th Birthday I celebrated 19th August with friends and relatives . Was very happy and overhelmed because on14th itself Bhavna started a thread for me and the posts there came upto 100. Then on 24th was my star birthday and being 70th Birthday we had Narayaneeyam in the temple and usually all public come and we had invited some friends and our close relatives. Nearly 300 people attended and we were happy. So this year I had a memorable Birthday with loads of wishes. Need your blessings too

4 people like this.
  4. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

My mom is like you aunty..as per certificate she has a different DOB and in reality it is different.. same story as you.. being the last among the kids in a family of many kids.. this is the reality in those days :)

5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

My dad has the same issue too...he likes 01 Oct, as per the computer horoscope it should have been 03 Oct and his records indicate 10 Oct...we celebrate on one of the 3 dates and all that matters to him is that people take the time to wish him on his bday :)

6. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

My dad was not even the last to be born...he was the first son and his dad did not even know his birth year...he gave 1 year later and my dad got to retire at 61...gud for him :)

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs. Srinivasan:

I had faced a problem because my father declared my date of birth right at the time of my first school admission. When I was getting ready to appear for S.S.L.C. exam, I received a notice from the Board that I was not eligible to write the exam unless I get an under age certificate from a physician that I was mentally and physically capable of writing a statewide public exam. Finally, I got it and finished my S.S.L.C. in March 1969, just before I turned 15.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa Aunty,

Your title curiously brought me here. That was one nice post. In my family too few have this confusion. Enjoyed your narration thoroughly:thumbsup. I celebrate two birthdays. One on star and one on DOB.

For me it wasn't date of birth, but my name. Throughout from KG to 5th my name at school was AL. Then we settled in Chennai. I was admitted in a convent, there they asked me to submit my birth certificate. Then my dad was still in our native traveled to my birth place and got the certificate. To his shock or surprise my name was written (not even typing) as AV as given by paternal grandpa who has even passed away at this time. There was pressure at school to give the certificate immediately since I was born in August I was considered underage for 6th and they had to do some formality for exceptional cases. Somehow my Dad convinced them for more time and applied for name change in the certificate, did formalities, then changed name was published in gazette to get my original name in communication with correction.

After that also I am called by different names by different people. My dad used to call me Manjula, now he calls manju, most others Manju only. At school, friends call me by first half name (A) with one letter short which will sound like a masculine name. Even now they call me or mail me using that name only. At my in-laws my fil even now calls me by second half of the name (L). My mil started off with L but now settled with Manju. Few of my in-laws' relatives call me as Manju and few others L. My main confusion during first few years of marriage, was while picking up the phone or when I call, what name should I refer to whether L or M to this particular person:spin. If I wrongly say by which they could not recognize me immediately, I have to tell that I am B's wife Manju or L the dil of mil's or fil's name . Now in IL, I am Manjukps.:)

Don't you think I have confused you enough like Actor visu's "payithiam" dialogue.????:banana

Regards
    Manjukps

3 people like this.
  9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Three birth days a year are really mirth days for you PS :)

Keep celebrating :)

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sowmya,
    Olden days were golden days. Parents didn't have to bother about admission in schools. Now even for putting a child in a play school seems to be a cumbersome job.
    Glad to know that you are also celebrating three birthdays.
    PS

1 person likes this.