Hw to make puffed pooris ????

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by saranm02, Jan 23, 2012.

1. saranm02

saranm02 New IL'ite

Hi IL ,

Its been 2 yrs i got married and my cooking experience too . For these past 2 yrs i was struggling to make nice soft and puffed pooris .

My DH likes poori and whenever i make pooris it would be either hard and crsipy or just soft and flat :spin . Please do give me suggestions how to make soft and puffed pooris ??

2. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear, just knead wheat flour with warm water and salt to a soft dough and at the end add one or two teaspoons of oil and knead it well and keep it closed for half an hour.

Then to make poori talk a small lemon sized ball from the dough and simply roll the ball to a 6 inches diameter by dusting some flour on the top and bottom in order to avoid sticking.Heat the oil and put the rolled poori and slightly sprinkle some oil with the spatula on the top of the poori and turn it upside down.the poori will get bulged very will when you are sprinkling oil on the top of the poori itself.you need not fold the dough while rolling.Just roll the dough lightly with out giving much pressure to the rolling pin.

2 people like this.
  3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    If you add a spoonful of sooji in your wheat flour, then the pooris will be crispy.
    You have to heat the oil thoroughly before deep frying the pooris, otherwise the pooris won`t be fluffy.

1 person likes this.
  4. saranm02

saranm02 New IL'ite

@hemalathak and vidhyalakshmid

thank you so much for the info :)

5. sss

sss New IL'ite

Thanks for the recipe.

6. pdarshini

pdarshini Silver IL'ite

After u put the puri in the oil...it usually puffs up a bit.....just put a small pressure on the poori with the spatula...it will immediately puff up...i dont even rest the dough....mines comes very soft...oil should be very hot...

7. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

please follow this simple step:

1.prepare dough with usual water itself( no need any warm water,or oil etc) i use wheat flour,salt and sooji(white rava)..rava gives crispiness to the poori and it helps to stay the the puffiness for some more time.
    2. roll it thick, thick like tortillos u can get in walmart( not thin like chappathi)
    3.put in oil , it puffs little and give pressure gently on the unpuffed side .it will bulge like balloon. turn other side.

1 person likes this.
  8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Instead of using flour to roll it,just spread it using little bit of oil,so that the oil to be used for frying would get spoilt .
    When mixing the dough adding few spoons of hot oil also would make it crisp.

1 person likes this.
  9. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

very useful thread :) i also don;t know how to make nice puffy pooris :(

10. gargee

gargee Junior IL'ite

The best way to make puffy purri is as under
    Take 1 cup of white rava and 1 cup maida or wheat flour saperately
    then take white rava in a plate add some salt to taste, 2 teaspoons oil and one teaspoon sugar [sugar keeps puffiness for more time and taste of purri is also increase this is secret behind puffi purri]
    add some milk and water to make the batter thicker than idali batter[you can take half milk and half water]
    keep the batter for some time and then add maida or wheat flour which is kept separately as mentioned above
    if required add some more aatta for your convience to roll the purries. knead well to make dough harder than chapathi dough or as like chapathi dough.
    keep dough for half an hour then roll the purri not so thin or not sooo thick
    fry in hot oil on high flame
    puffi delicious purries are ready