1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Is Very Short Tempered

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by avantikaarora, Feb 21, 2017.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Does he do this at work? Or just among friends & family with whom there are no noticeable consequences?
    Has it always been this way or is this something recent?

2. venkiis

venkiis Silver IL'ite

You did not mention what makes him short tempered. Is there a pattern or he just sees anyone and starts jumping. Not that i am supporting him, but atleast more details are better.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

How long has this behavior been going on? Is he under a lot of stress at work? And has he had a complete physical checkup done at the doctor's recently? Not to make excuses, but some medical conditions can make people highly irritable so a doctor's appointment may be helpful.
    If none of these apply then you should insist on him going to counseling. This behavior is unacceptable.

4. avantikaarora

avantikaarora New IL'ite

this has been going on for about 12 years now. I will tell you for example, if we all friends meet, obiviously we girls are sitting and planning something for next weekend and when we communicate to the husbands, he will immediately say you plan stuff without even consulting me. However, if he wants he will go somewhere without even telling me where he is going. this has happened even when we are traveling in a foreign location. Now I have reached a point where I cant handle it anymore. I have just lost all interest. I had dreams, now i am living everyday

5. avantikaarora

avantikaarora New IL'ite

I told him to go counselling but he wont listen.

6. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

If he's not willing to change the only question then is what are you willing to do about it? Either you can overlook this issue and work around it, or it becomes such a big issue that it overshadows all of his good qualities and you can't live with it anymore. Are you at a point where you would want to separate with him because of this? Otherwise, it sounds like he will not fundamentally change and you will need to figure out how to work around this issue - like going out without him, etc.

7. avantikaarora

avantikaarora New IL'ite

thats why i came here cause i am not sure where else to go. Friends will listen but will back bite and just use this as gossip. Its hard to find true friends right now. I dont want to upset mine or his aging parents. I am at a point where i will walk out of this marriage.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  8. avantikaarora

avantikaarora New IL'ite

only with friends and families, not at work. At work he is different

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

So there you have your answer.
    When there are likely to be negative consequences for his actions, he is able to remain in control. In situations where the consequences are minor to non-existent, he indulges his anger. Since this has been going for over a decade, it is not an acute behavioral change with a potentially physical/medical basis. Either he is venting his stress in social situations or this is a failure of character. He is unlikely to change unless you give him reasons to do so.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

I understand, you are in a hard position, but no one should have to live in fear of their spouse's temper and anger. If someone is unable to regulate their emotions to that extent, or they choose not to, it is not fair to be subjected to that. If you are willing to walk out of the marriage, what steps do you need to take to be able to do so? Are you financially independent? Do you have a support system? Sometimes just taking these steps to become more independent may effectuate a change in your spouse because now they have a real reason to "behave" or else face consequences.