1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Tell

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nakshatra1, Mar 9, 2018.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

My friend has a small issue .
    She is newly married and staying in 2bhk, inlaws visit very often and soon moving in together. Her PILs leave their bedroom door wide open whole night(even though room is extremely well ventilated).Both bedrooms are side by side , and hence she feels no privacy as everything will be audible eg. for intimacy, talking freely etc Now they will all live together soon so she is worried.
    How to convey nicely to her MIL?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

2. rathia

rathia Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nakshatra1,
    I was staying with inlaws for few months after marriage while waiting for my visa. I had a habit of not closing door properly when I sleep. I was given my husbands bedroom and had full privacy but in my parents place we never close bedroom door. So I had the same habit. But my MIL encouraged me to close and also lock the door while sleeping. She told me a story about a burglary in neighbourhood. Robbers sprayed something on the face and stole everything. Good they didnt harm the people sleeping so my mil advised to always lock the door from inside while sleeping. Your friend can share some story like this and encourage them to lock it from inside. It is safe too. Hope they understand

3. nakshatra1

Thanks for the great suggestion/

4. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Install automatic door closing system on both bedroom doors, or get an ac for their bedroom and encourage them to use it at night.

5. nakshatra1

It's a rented house so not really possible currently still thanks

6. rupz

rupz Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,

Facing the same problem.

We try not to make noise or have the music in our room loud so we can close the door.

Sandycandy and nakshatra1 like this.
  7. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

I'd do this too.

8. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

She can openly express that she is having a habit of closing doors and comfortable with it

9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Personally i dont like to sleep with doors open cos my clothes can get askew when I am asleep. Secondly from a safety perspective, I dont want surprises when asleep. So no intruders, guests or anyone for that matter, stepping into my room when I am asleep. Not only is my door shut but it's also locked from inside when I am asleep. Esp at night. As simple as that.

The first reason is reason enough for most women to justify closing the door.

Tbh, no sane adult, esp senior would even openly question why a young man/ woman / couple closes their bedroom door. It wld be very dim witted to ask such a thing. So in my opinion there is no need for yr friend to explain. If at all asked she can quote #1 and not encourage anymore conversation.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Rosey2018 likes this.