1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Stop Being Resentful To Past Hurts

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Feb 9, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

How to stop being resentful to past hurts.

Especially from my biological mother.

It is a fact that she supported others in bullying me, scolded me when I defended myself, allowed my older cousin to touch me inappropriately (at the time I didn't know any better, so I consented)

And recently, she supported my abusive ex, helped cause my miscarriage, falsely called police on my Dad (police scolded her for misusing 911 service)

I notice once in a while storms happen where I must confront all this resentment.

Snake is a snake is a snake. She will never change.

How do I make peace with it? Enough is enough.

On the other hand, snake venom can be used to treat ailments. How to leverage this?

2. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Not easy. I just find one solution shift somewhere and don't tell your address to her and stay away.

NeetaR and ChennaiExpress like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

does she live with you now??

4. ChennaiExpress

Yep

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

CE, you rock! :cool:

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  6. abla

abla Gold IL'ite

Can you move out and visit your dad daily and care for him ?

7. ChennaiExpress

I'm trying .....

8. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Hi CE,

I can very well relate to your post. Not that I was pushed for physical stuff... but a variety of incidents happened over a period of time. Mainly, its the difference that parents show among siblings is what i feel, leads to lot of resentment, hatred, 'why me' Qs, low self esteem at times, betrayal feeling. Although its in the past, I cant forget any of those yet, and I guess I can ever forget them for life. It has reached a point that everyone is content masking happy faces. So, cant do much about it now. How I try to overcome is that, whenever I get the betrayal feeling, I look into our marriage pics, pics of various trips we have made (me and DH), speak my heart out to 1-2 people whom I feel good sharing these stuff and, thy dont judge whatever i say, they just listen and listen and at the end make me feel I am the bestest ever :-D, I also talk a lot to my mom in law, general stuff, like whats happening in the family types...and best of all, I read some chik flicks (it makes me really happy and forget my worries).
    So, all I can tell you is that, no matter how happy you are currently, you can never let go of it as you would have suffered a lot. So, just try to see the brighter sides of life... and when u reach the threshold again, just pour it onto reliable ears.

Hugs to you,
    Cheers
    Sinant :)

ChennaiExpress, abla and MonikaSG like this.
  9. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Well how to stop being resentful......the answer that immediately comes to my mind is that by being grateful, by being forgetful.
    Be grateful for what you have in life. Your dad, good health, nice Job etc. Be forgetful of what your mom did to you. Not necessarily mean forgive her. But let bygone be bygone. Try not to think. Keep your interactions with her to the minimum possible . There is a saying out of sight out of mind. It really holds true

ChennaiExpress, abla and Sinant like this.
  10. ChennaiExpress

That's good. You are fortunate to have nice Husband and mature Mother-in-Law.

And if course, 1-2 people you can confide in :)

It's a continual exercise, to see bright side, to see silver lining of cloud.

fourthaugust likes this.