1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Shut Up Mean Mils ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by KayaCholan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You are missing the point by a mile.

A woman in her 50's or 60's, living in the 21st century, should know better than to enter a closed door without knocking.

Amica, pinkRoseBud, Laks09 and 6 others like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are some things that should not have to be said to grown-up's!

3. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Cant laugh enough :roflmao:

Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  4. GlobetrotterG

GlobetrotterG Silver IL'ite

Yes, This is really important. It is very easy to show faces, that will multiply the effect from both your DH & MIL. So, if you wanna say something, tell it to your hubby too, but very politely.

5. KayaCholan

KayaCholan Bronze IL'ite

@Rihana - thanks Rihana for understanding the situation right!

@shravs3 - hahah exactly ! but I bet it will still be the DIL's fault for being infertile !!

@sarvantaryamini - Yes this was tried too and it didnt work. Even though it is obvious and the mil should have understood this. But my friend told her MIL a few times but it fell on deaf ears.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. KayaCholan

KayaCholan Bronze IL'ite

@senorita2019 and @GlobetrotterG - I agree with you guys about things coming back to bite you but I also believe sometimes you need to stand up for yourself when required so you are not subjected to torture or uncomfortable/disrespectful situation regularly. Yes, there is a way to do this and this is tactfulness comes with age and experience but it is required. A lot of the indian husbands play an active role in demeaning the wife with his parents or a passive role by not 'getting involved'. If you ask your husband and tell him politely and he tells you blatantly, 'no I dont want to get involved' or 'its ok just manage as they are here for a short time only' or the classic 'I dont want to come in between MIL and DIL issues' then what do you do ? Do you continue putting up with dis-respectfulness or do you find a way to make it stop ?

7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I have experienced this. Well not from in laws but from my dad. When he stays with us he almost does this all the time . I don't understand why though. But let me tell you ILs or in general old people who do this don't think through . That's what I feel. When they were our age I'm sure none of the elders would have done that to them. Like knock ask permission and enter the room. As Rihanna has pointed out this is so western. Plus since frequency of my dad staying with us is less I haven't told him anytime that he shouldn't do that. Probably would tell if he does that again a couple of times more . :grinning: In your friend's case a polite communication from hubby to his mom would have helped before actually getting into the act. Why didn't he tell her before. Would have saved the embarrassment for both. On the other hand we definitely will do for our kids because we have the experience of how annoying it is.
    Regarding other point my opinion Is don't adopt the indirect way to shut them up. First of all no need to shut them up. Sounds very rude to me . Always resort to effective ,assertive and polite communication . When u can't communicate with them thinking they will be offended by you in spite of being polite use your husband and make him understand . Tell him if he tells they will definitely understand.For this indirect method of telling them or teaching them a lesson we need a lot of thinking and no need to invest so much time and our precious brain for all this. That's what I feel.. :smiley:

Sinant likes this.
  8. KayaCholan

KayaCholan Bronze IL'ite

Wise advice @Anusha2917 about resorting to polite communication instead of other means. I will agree to this that this will need to be the first option but what if that doesnt work ? Also, not many indian husbands are mature and understanding enough to hear a wife's plea against his parents. From experience I can tell you many husbands first go to is getting annoyed with wife for complaining about his parents. When a girl goes through the husbands route she risks losing the affection of the husband too as he thinks she is the issue.

yellowmango and Anusha2917 like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

A newly wed woman telling her mil to give them privacy will start a whole new drama.

The husband will most likely tell the wife" what was the need for saying that".

Read many threads on this forum about husbands who won't close the bedroom door till parents have gone to sleep.

Have experienced the same barging in.
    If an experienced older person does not have basic sense then one should just not care.
    Let them be embarrased if they don't worry about embarrasing the son and daughter in law.

Calling the carpenter to install a locking system in the room would make a lot of sense but in a house where no room has one and mil regularly barges into the bedroom, this would cause no less raised eyebrows and embarrasing questions.

Sounds silly ....but not as silly as mil not knowing why the room to her son and dil should not be barged into.

Vaikuntha, Zxcv, Sunshine04 and 2 others like this.
  10. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

On this I agree with you that not all husbands are the same. It's unfortunate that husbands don't understand the small needs of their wives and take the side of their moms and feel that wife is complaining.