How To Shop?

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by messedup, May 10, 2018.

1. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Hello Everyone!

I am here again with a query and looking forward for your help and guidance.

I want to know how do you shop for clothes. I mean how you select the stuff the color and the style of clothing. I actually don't have very good taste in that. The reason behind is monetary issues that my parents had and for that reason I never demanded to go for any shopping. Whatever my father used to buy I accepted without any questions. That made my choice and selection ability as zero as I never been to independent shopping. Now when I grow up I do shop for myself but not very much satisfied with my choice and feel that other people wearing much better clothes and always wonder how do they select and decide what they want.

If go specific I want to ask

How do you select

the stuff
    the color
    the style
    the ongoing fashion(what it is)
    Anything else that you find useful and want to add will be admirable.

Thanks for your time.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Shopping ! Shopping ! Shopping ! Seeing the title itself I was attracted :roflmao:
    Ladies love it isn’t it ?

Ok now coming to the point in this smart phone era we all are aware there are two types .

In-store shopping and online shopping .

Assuming tat you are from India .

In-store shopping :

a).Normally if you go to a shop and ask them to show the latest and trendy clothes tat will help you. You can also ask them wat are the fast moving ones.
    Among those you can select whichever style and colour you are attracted with .

Coming to colours I either choose my fav colour or the ones which I feel tat suits me or if any particular style is good without bothering colour I will go for it .

b).Other option is going to mall ,there will be a section which is Newly Arrived!
    You can select among those if you like .

There are many brands for Kurtas like W , Aurelia , Melange , Rangriti etc. My personal fav is W! Which is good for office wear as well .

Online shopping :
    As you know there are n number of websites like Amazon , Flipkart ,Myntra etc which have tons of styles and colours .
    In this you can filter the material , colour ,style etc and you can sort by ones with good ratings or the trending ones .
    But sometimes though we may not get the same as described you always have the option to return if you aren’t satisfied and first check the Return policy before you add them to cart !

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Star25, sindmani and messedup like this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the reply....W is my favorite brand too.
    As per my experience when the fashion of kurtis started I had all cotton suits. I then stopped buying suits and switched to kurtis. Then came the fashion of parallels and I purchased some of them too. Now again i feel that leggings are not very much comfortable in very hot summer time so again cotton will be preferable. Now I bought some cotton kurtis and planning to take parallels with them.
    If I want to go for suits too then how it should be? I mean its stitching style and pajami style so that it does not look old fashioned.

shravs3 likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Ya I know summers are bad instead of leggings why don’t you try cotton Chudi pants. And also you can go for patiala types which is ever green.

There are harem pants too ! It goes well with short tops .I would be so damn comfortable with harem pants .

You can buy long cotton skirts which will go well with cotton tops . I love wearing long skirts !

And there is an app called Pinterest . It has everything from latest clothing styles, beauty tips, inspirational quotes and much more. It was my saviour during my wedding ,helped me to choose blouse designs and much more.

You can select kurta designs from this and ask your tailor to stitch .
    Nowadays tailors themselves ask us if we have any sample design pics!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    messedup, Star25 and sindmani like this.
  5. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Love shopping ..as soon as I saw ur post about shopping I was eager to read and reply back.. @shravs3 has covered a majority of tips.. I would like to add just a few..as far as the latest designs are concerned they will be displayed on the manequins ..you can even see them on the models photographs.. check out max and biba. .those are my favourites.. bibas dresses are colourful and have a unique style.. They have a new trend where you can wear a kurti with a skirt ..I bought one such set and on wearing it and many of my friends asked me where I purchased it.. even max has good collections with a reasonable price..recently I saw their dhothi pant and top combinations.. usually dhothi pant comes separately right ? But they had to dhothi top set which was too good. So check those out those two shops too.

messedup and shravs3 like this.
  6. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Seems like we are on the same page. I hate shopping but I love to dress up!! Two ends of the same world isn't it?:eek:

messedup likes this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I usually shop according to my body type n current weight (as our weight swings). So I shop for something that compliments my body n like the way it looks rather than focusing 'solely' on popular choices / current trends.

Current trends are usually in the front of the shop, the mannequins, or as "hot trends" online, so it's easy to spot.

No hot trend colours or style will make us look great until unless it compliments our body shape, skin tone, attitude, etc. Once you understand that concept, picking clothes will get really easy.

I know someone who only likes wearing short dresses as it's the "in" among her circle, but it makes her look so weird due to her body shape n in photos she looks like the odd one out. Why? Because she has a better upper body n really weak lower body with very thin legs (stick like). For her body type, she should pick clothes that compliment her upper body n cover most of her lower body but she does the opposite.

N whatever you wear, wear it with confidence, that will make even a rs50 dress look like a rs500, n make you look greater than you think.

Lol, excuse the gyan, am a fashion designer, so tend to get into the details. But regardless of whatever you pick if you keep this in mind, anything you pick will complement you, truly.

messedup likes this.
  8. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Cotton chudi pants and harem pants sounds great. I will now buy these with my new kurtis. I had seen many wearing these pants but didn't knew its name. Thanks for the info.

shravs3 likes this.
  9. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I had seen these style cloths in sri creations display. But I doubt if it look good on me. I have average built not too fat but not thin too. I noticed many fat girls also wear skirts but for short tops I am not very comfortable as it will show the hip area separately. I will try to figure out how it will look on me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Star25 likes this.
  10. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the reply. Very useful and considerable things you have mentioned. A fashion designers advice is impeccable and applicable.