1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to reuse your old pattu sarees ?? ... Some new tips.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by sadhu72, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Dear vijima ,

Fine. thankyou. how do you do & your grandchildren??
    i can say only this much maami , ALL IN THE GAME.
    MAATRANGAL MAARAADHADU. iam also feeling nice to talk with you all again.
    iam touched by the love showers shown by all of you on me.thankyou somuch for that & for your lovely reply.:)

2. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

One more tip...

After removing the rich borders/pallus etc-use the silk cloth.

Cut them into one foot squares- use contrasting colors and stitch up a quilt.

Line it with old cotton saris and use silk for the top and bottom layers alone.

Looke pretty and rich-Keeps you warm and comfy too!

3. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

there you are shaka !

a silk quilt is an execellent imagination.

a mom can gift her treasure old pattu saree to her DDs wedding in this silky , quilty way. sure , this will be cherished by her a lot.. shaka plz tell me this also ,
    will a patch-work bedspread go well with the big diamond zari motifs & borders that cut from a saree & attached with silk cotton material as body ???

well , i have a querry as well as an idea here . can these be converted in to BHARATHA NAATYAM dress ??? i doubting the size here ..will a saree be sufficient for this ??

will share a onemore remodelling trick in my next post soon.

4. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

hey sadhana!!
    how are you my friend and welcome to great indusladies community my friend :thumbsup!! i am very very happy to see you again and sharing such a nice tips for us........well for me my mom gave me her silk saree to my dd;s to stitch some skirts and tops etc.....thats all i know and came to know abt many tips from you useful post!! thanks pa!!

5. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

dear vino ,

fine ppa. how are you & your kids & your craft work?? going well ??

still people remember me ??? really iam touched by this .thanks for your warm welcome friend. its good to know your reuse tricks here.

6. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear friend,

Deffinitely this was an useful suggession. thanks for the same.

ganges

7. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi ganges ,

you are most welcome friend , [ again to visit this thread ....:rotfl]

oh , really ??? i become delighted on this word useful .

hearty thanks to the contributors here !

8. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sadhu,

Plain silks look better than jari in quilts.

Yes ,dance dress can be made out of old saris but washed ones dont look

good. Very old unwashed (new looking ones) ones too will be too weak

and will give away easily and may tear off when bending and stretching on stage:bonk:hide::bonk.

So no grown ups Bharathanatyam dress-maybe for kids,it is OK.But nowadays ,silkcotton dance dresses are cheaper and prettier for kids-so dont waste stitching charge for old silks.

9. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Nice tips i must say. Thanks for sharing!

My views would be as Shanti's, keep it as it is and wear it as long as you wish.
    My mom did get her wedding sarees stitched as dresses for me, the dresses did come out very well, but didn't last long, the saree gave away around the stitches, so its not even worth investing on tailoring charges.
    I did keep another one, got a blouse stitched for myself, that's better, i can still wear the saree.

Cushions would be a nice idea, as the wear and tear wouldn't be much and its also goes with the current trend of having rich cushions.

Bharatanatyam dress.....no...no.....I don't think old sarees would be flexible for the dress, it would give up and it would also look dull for stage.

Will stay hooked to this thread for more ideas!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

shaka ,

your statement has become true by SLV s experience.

so i think dance dress is ruled out now coz , in both the ways ,i.e if the saree is still in good condition then also stitching charges are more . why risk then ??

SLV ,

valid points & good feedback. thanks.

but in this work sarees era , many people dont like to wear it for various reasons like very big broad borders ,heavy in weight, odd colors etc , even though they are in good condition. in my wardrobe many sarees are lying as it is like the one in
    shops. all are fresh & in good condition. cheked by pulling with hands already. it cant be worn & it cant be thrown , but occupying more space in the wardrobe. iam not fond of pattu sarees .so i didnt buy anything otherthan 1 or 2 small border sarees after many years of marriage till now.
    iam removing all my old sarees & keeping it in a separate big travel bag with some flowersdusts & storing it in the loaft. now , i have got more space.

friends ,

how about making a KUTTI SAREE like the one-minute saree with pleats for our small angels ???? but donno about the fees ..... :rotfl

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011