1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How To Make Tassles & Duppattas?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by Aachal, Aug 3, 2009.

1. luxiraj

luxiraj New IL'ite

Re: How To Stitch a fall to a saree?

I stitch the fall using machine itself. Earlier it wasn't perfect. But after much practice i can confidently say, it doesn't show it is machine stitched. The trick is to use exact thread to match the saree motif or color which lays on the place where the upper edge of the fall is stiched.

Hoping to experiment with blind stitch to sew falls, it currently works perfectly well with saree blouse hem at back and sleeves.

1. Wash and press the fall
    2. Pin the lower half to the edge of the saree, while laying it on a flat surface and smoothing away any wrinkles on the way
    3. Stitch the lower half of the fall to the saree.
    4. Now lay the saree (with fall attached at one end) flat again on the floor and then pin the upper edge of the fall, Check before every pin if the fabric of falls is parallel with the saree and fits well, i.e., it doesn't have any mismatch.
    5. Use as many pins as possible once you start with, with practice, a few pins will do the trick.

Best of luck

2. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Do all Saris need a Fall?

Do all Saris need a Fall?

I've never attached a fall to any of my saris but my SIL always does. Is there a particular reason for this? She didn't have one other than that her mom always did the same.

Can you still get the pleats of the sari to fall straight if you attach a fall?

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Re: Do all Saris need a Fall?

Manaswini,

A Fall adds weight at the bottom of the saree which keeps it from flying off especially if it is a georgette or chiffon type of saree and also gives a good all around drape.

You can still get pleats if you have a fall on the saree and as to the whether it will fall straight it depends on the type of saree like if it is georgette or chiffon type yes and if its cotton then u need to straighten the pleats with your hands .

Jaya

4. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

I feel fall keeps the border of a sari intact.Zari and thread work will not get frayed.Payal and cracked heel Pulls the thread work or zari of a sari.When we walk fast some times border gets cut.We can prevent that by attaching a fall.

5. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Ladies.

6. sharadau

sharadau Gold IL'ite

Not at all. saree falls are attached to have extra strength to the pleats ,they stay properly, if the sarees have thick border and without zari work saree falls are not required, for thin sarees saree falls are must.Before attaching the s. fall wash the fall and iron if that is a cotton one.

7. ganeshayini

ganeshayini New IL'ite

Re: How to make tassels

I am new in stitching. Just learning from wonderful threads here. Can anyone guide me how to stitch a chudithar top and bottom in a simple way

8. ARIES

ARIES Bronze IL'ite

Re: How to make tassels

Hi Aachal, for dupatta you can stitch contrast bias band its readily available in the sewing material shops.

9. sheetalSatish

sheetalSatish New IL'ite

thanks Vani, it was really helpfull. keep up the good work..:)