how to make good idli batter?

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by thegirlygirl, Apr 8, 2013.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Do you mix grinded rice and dal once everything is finished? I will add rice to the grinded dal immediately after grinding. I put 2 batches of rice. I add the first grinded batch immediately with the grinded dal and add the second batch after it's done. Should I keep the grinded rice separately and add it when everything done? Because, this sometimes gives me a feel of urad dal being fermented more and idli looks little hard.

2. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

How do you ferment it?

3. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

hi,
    I always grind only one batch. Once rice finished ,will mix well with dhall. I always make sure the grinder don’t heat up if I am putting more batches. It will affect the fermentation process. For mixing ,I always use hand and mix well(I heard our body heat will help in fermentation). I add enough water while mixing. I won’t leave thick batter for fermentation. I add salt after it is fermented. If I make two batches. I grind dhal in one batch and split it in two containers and keep till rice is done.once I grind the first batch rice, I mix with one portion dhall and same for other. The key is how long you mix and how well you mix. I keep it near to stove or heated area.

QUOTE="gknew, post: 4166892, member: 273620"]Do you mix grinded rice and dal once everything is finished? I will add rice to the grinded dal immediately after grinding. I put 2 batches of rice. I add the first grinded batch immediately with the grinded dal and add the second batch after it's done. Should I keep the grinded rice separately and add it when everything done? Because, this sometimes gives me a feel of urad dal being fermented more and idli looks little hard.[/QUOTE]

gknew likes this.
  4. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

My recipes for Idly and dosa batters are different. Soak the dal (for idly) and dal+rice(for dosa) overnight before grinding

For Idly- 1 cup of Urad dal and 3 cups of idli rava. Grind the dal with sufficient water. Take out of the frinder and mix the washed rava(No need to soak the rava before)

For Dosa - 1 cup of Ural dal and 2 cups of any rice. Soak them together and grind without much water

Both the batters i mix by hand and leave to ferment minimum 6 hours

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

6. sobana

sobana New IL'ite

Hi,

You can follow any of the proportions provided by the other members here but one more important procedure in preparing idli batter is mixing the batter with your bare hand instead of a spoon/laddle after adding salt. I think, the debutants usually may not be knowing this. And don't soak the rice/urad dhal more than 5/6hrs. Add a spoon full of fenugreek seeds to have a crispy golden brown dosas and also soft idlis:)

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,Kungumam said it right.this is the right way of making idlis.

3 cup idly rice
    1 cup raw rice
    1 cup urad dal
    Add methi seeds
    If you want add little poha

Sunshine04 and gknew like this.