How to learn Java from scratch? Need help!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sahithi1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. sahithi1

sahithi1 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Java is really vast and I want to start learning it. What is the best approach to start from scratch? Should i start with core java? And does any one knows any site/free e-book that explains each and every concept of Java with the help of examples? Just curious is JavaScript easy to learn or Java programming?
    which one could you choose and why? I understand Java Programming is Object oriented but don't no much about java scripting. Please share your thoughts.

Thanksinadvance
    Sahithi

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

2. sahithi1

sahithi1 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    27 views..... no response. please help this is very urgent for me.

Thanks,
    Sahithi

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sahithi,

O'Reilly's Head First Java is the best one to start. This book explains the concepts in diagrams and in a way that's easy to remember.

Good Luck!

Added Later: Yes first learn java. Javascript is a client side scripting language which you can learn easily when you start developing web applications. You don't need book for that.

1 person likes this.
  4. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

It depends on your purpose. Both are used for different stuff.

JS - learning it stand-alone may not be very advantageous. Learning it together with PHP, HTML and SQL may increase your possibilities of landing in a job.

5. nadig

nadig New IL'ite

hi..
    to start from the scratch better go for "progarmmng with java" by balaguruswamy.its easy and simple to understand.later u may go for complete ref.

1 person likes this.
  6. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

I strongly recommend the official sun tutorial online:
    Trail: Learning the Java Language (The Java™ Tutorials)

For code snippets/examples, go to javaranch or stackoverflow or w3cschools.net.
    There are tons of resources available online.

Javascript alone wont be sufficient. You need to equip yourself with
    one or more server side languages unless you want to confine yourself to front end designing.
    Even then you need to familiarize yourself with css, and stuff.

If you like to emerge as an end to end programmer who can handle front/middle/back end,
    start with Java and widen your skillset as you go. Javascript is just a grain of sand in the beach.

Feel free to shoot out questions/doubts on Java and its cousins, we can discuss.

7. Sanjithra

Sanjithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sahithi...

I am working as a Java developer for the past 5 yrs.. From my experience I would suggest to start with :
    1) 'Head First Java', which will help you in getting your fundamentals strong.
    2) Visit JavaRanch - A Friendly Place for Java Greenhorns - This site will have lot of forums where ppl will help you to get your queries cleared. (Try the Java Rules RoundUp game)
    3) Start writing code. Download a IDE to ur m/c and start coding. Only then you will get to know when a complier error will occur, when a run-time exception will occur... etc., As you start practicing, you 'll see that your confidence builds up very fast and you 'll become more interested.
    4) Try to take up SCJP. It ll help you to get the minute details abt API, if at all you had missed them in the earlier steps..
    5) Then you can more to other advanced concepts like Servlets, or frameworks like Struts, Hibernate.

Happy Coding !!!!!!

2 people like this.
  8. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

The best book to learn Java from scratch is Java Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt! I bet you its the best book I rate the book 5 stars for the concept and easy understanding!!!!!!! :)

9. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

yes head first java is a good start...

10. Chailover

Chailover Junior IL'ite

Hi amunique,

Have you started Java. Let me know if you would like to do group study. I am interested. I have always wanted to learn Java but don't know where to start from?