1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to Increase supply of breast milk

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by neetagore, Oct 1, 2009.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Actually Lactare also has shatavari. I am afraid I dont remember the dosage, but the strip has it. It has garlic too so you may have an issue with that! Shatavari, the herb, is the one that helps, so if you have the plant itself that might be the best thing. You can add oatmeal and fenugreek/methi (soaked over night). You will get Galact/Shatavari/Lactare in any pharmacy, but you may also want to try the IMCOPS shops (I know of a few in Adyar area, not sure if they are elsewhere.)
    There are things to do with a distractible feeder - DS hit it around 4.5/5 months and maintaining supply then was a pain in the tushy. I do feel for you. Hugs.

2. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Latha, I actually took both... Lactare and shatavari powder.. lactare was 2 in the morning and 2 in the night...they really helped.. apart from this I also took homeo medicine alfaalfa from our doctor...I got the shatavari from our ayurveda doc itself...but i hope you can try in any ayurveda medicine shop..I would suggest you not going to IMPCOPS as I have heard that medicines are not of first quality there..try Shatari manufactured by sandu pharmaceuticals in any ayurveda shops...

Vidyaa

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey, Vidya - thanks for letting me know about the IMPCOPS. I usually get stuff from them but I noticed once they sold me something past expiry date, mmm.

4. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Yes Tikka, it was the info from my doctor...that they used to buy the raw materials (may be some herbs??!!) for the lowest quality with which medicines are produced...

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Krithika, Vidyaa,

For the past 2days, my DS has been feeding quite often, say every hr or 45mins... since he gets distracted, feeding sessions as such last longer... But he slept well, quite long in the nights, since he is feeding more often in the day, i didnt wake him very frequently for feeds. I did once in 3-4hrs in the night. Am both happy n sad... happy that he himself knew mommy is facing undersupply and he is often on my B :), and i feel my supply is just enough for him yesterday and today. No undersupply instincts in me. Sad that am all the time feeding him, DD gets irritated at times... she tells me to put him down and cuddle her... Poor girl :)

Now Qs:
    1) Since now i feel my supply is OK to him, should i still take lactare/shatavari? Will i not end up with oversupply then? I dont want to invite any trouble in taking these 2. I have added night-soaked methi and eat them in the morn first thing. Taking oatmeal in the evenings.

2) If at all i face an undersupply again, and say i take these, for how long should i continue?

3) Sometimes I feel - if baby is more on B, is there something called as over-fed baby? Its just my silly doubt.

Thankyou dears, take care of your LOs. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  6. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Latha, I have stopped all these when I felt my milk production has stabilized.. but still some days i feel i have low supply...but if i wait for a day or 2, it again becomes normal....I feel you need not take these unless until your supply is really low.. however we will wait till tikka give her views..

V

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  7. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Krithika, any idea on why the supply seems to be less on few days.. For the past two days, I feel i am having an undersupply... and on those I also feel baby doesnt sleep well in the mornings as well...

Is there anything that we can do at that time?

Vidyaa

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Pon, methinks also like Vidya. If you have a good thing going why mess with it... oversupply can be equally a pain!
    Hey, I think it is awesome that you are looking after a toddler and an infant. I would have gone insane ;-). How about a sling or a mei tai. You can have your DS nurse (very discretely) while you go about your work/play with toddler?
    Vidya, could be a lot of things. Mainly for me, if I was not well rested my supply that day tanked. I tried to get an extra hour of sleep in the daytime those days. How has your water intake been - this is the season you really do not want to drink lest you live in your loo :)... For a lot of women return to fertility, or when your menses start again, triggers low supply.
    Does your LO feed a little more often on the day previous to the days you perceive a low supply - actually why do you think you have low supply on those days? I dont think supply is a constant factor actually, it may vary from day to day. It is a good thing you are aware of it and on days you think you feel you have a low supply you may wanna add a nursing session or pump!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  9. quneey

quneey New IL'ite

how long can we use lactare tablets...my baby is 1.5 months old now im using it for last 1 month 2 in morning and 2 in night i feel my milk sufficient now but i feel its due to tablets and will it reduce if i stop and can i use them for more 2 months...please healp me will there be any side effects ...

10. amsuganya

amsuganya New IL'ite

i am taking lactare.... still its not sufficient.... having 1 month baby....
    just taking methi seeds & oatmeal would increase supply?
    how many days it will increase?