1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to increase breast milk production?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sree, Jul 10, 2006.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: diet for breast feeding ladies

Hi cheer..I meant the food items...not the recipe..sorry ..

One of my aunts found drinking coconut milk helps in lactation..do it as last resort..It leads to weight gain..

Hope the info was useful.

2. rishita

rishita New IL'ite

about breast milk

hi,
    i am having 8months old baby.
    we started giving her solid foods.
    but i am not getting enough breat milk.
    will you give me some tips to get more breastmilk.
    thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: about breast milk

Dear Rishita,
    Welcome to IL.Il has vast number of topics.Before starting a thread, go through threads of your interest.Use SEARCH button to find out if the topic is already discussed.
    Your query has been discussed numerous times.click the below link to find the topics related to breast feeding.

Breastfeeding - IndusLadies

4. rukmini_dhara

rukmini_dhara New IL'ite

Hi to all moms,

I have a 6week old baby girl. I would like to add a few suggestions that my BF counsellor told me for increasing milk supply, and these worked for me.

1. Add til in diet, til and jaggery laddoos. Better cook with til oil.

2. Cabbage and dondakaaya (Telugu- small gourd like veg, don't know what it is exactly called in Eng) (dondakaya- gherkin in english, Tondekai in kannada kovvekai in Tamil, Parwal in Hindi) also increase breast milk.

3. Keep cabbage in the freezer overnight. Separate the leaves the next morning. Keep leaves one by one on breasts till that particular leaf comes to normal temp and then replace with a new leaf. Do this till one cabbage is exhausted. Haven't tried this, as there was no need for me. But because the others worked, I assume this will as well.

Cheers,
    Rukmini

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  5. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

How to increase my milk supply

Hi Frens,

My cutie boy Pranav is 6 and half months old....
    I was exclusively breast feeding him till he was 4 months old.
    But from the 5th month I had to start going to work and so I introduced bottle (Formula milk)...My milk supply gradually started reducing because i dont feed him when i am at work (morning 9 to evening 6).
    And now i feel that it is reducing a lot....I never get engorged at all even if i dont feed him for 9 or 10 hours at a stretch.
    But I want to increase my milk supply and feed him.
    for this reason itself I am planning to quit my job and go back to India with my son, though my husband will be here (paavam, he has to be all alone and will miss me and our son very much). I want to take care of my son full time, that is one more reason i want to quit my job or atleast take a long break....

Now my concern is how to increase my milk supply?
    Will I be able to increase my milk supply because now i feel that it has reduced a lot and lot. I feed him a maximum of 3 times in the day (as soon as he wakes up, when i return from work and when he is about to sleep in the night) and at night I feed him once.
    And there seems to be no milk at all from my left breast...only my right breast has milk...How can I increase supply in the left one also?

Any suggestion will help me a lot.

Cheers,
    Meena

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: How to increase my milk supply

first of all congrats on your baby and your decision to BF him. I would suggest you start pumping BM so that you can increase your milk supply. the supply went down bec. you were empyting your breasts less often. so even if your son feeds just 3 times a day directly from you, you can pump 2 times additionally and use the pumped milk to feed him rather than giving him formula. the additional empyting of breasts via pumping may help you increase your milk supply.

other things to do

soak 2 spoons of methi at night and drink the water first thing in the morning. sprout the seeds and eat them as well.

consume a teaspoon of powedered raw jeera 5-6 times per day

drink lots of water

take a multivitamin and a fish oil supplement

cheers,

pooja

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Re: How to increase my milk supply

Meena,

Want to second what pmahensa said. You can take supplements like jeera/methi/oatmeal etc that may aid lactation but the single biggest factor that will increase supple is increased demand (nursing or pumping). So aim to nurse 2-3 times and pump another 2-3 times in between. This works in two ways (1) Your body thinks that baby is feeding more and will make more (2) If you pump in between nursing sessions, baby will have less milk at first and will be hungry more often leading to increased nursing. Your supply will balance soon.

Another tip - try to squeeze a pumping session during the night in between 12 midnight and 4-6AM - this is when your milk supply is highest, and if baby sleeps during the night this is "free milk"

Good Luck.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much Pooja and Pavarun for your suggestions.
    I will include fenugreek seeds/jeera/oatmeal in my food. and I will also pump my milk (esp at night)

Can I eat the fenugreek seeds without soaking them? that is just take a teaspoon full and put it in mouth and swalow it with water (just like swalowing tablets)?

Thanks,
    Meena

9. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Yes you can eat the methi seeds without saoking. I would just powder them in a coffee grinder and mix it with some milk or juice. They are very bitter though. I checked this link to figure out how much I should take:
    kellymom.com :: Fenugreek for Increasing Milk Supply

10. gayatree

gayatree New IL'ite

I don't know if anybody's suggested this before in this forum - Garlic milk is extremely effective. Just boil a few cloves of garlic in milk, until it softens, and drink it twice or thrice a day. Garlic in any other form increases suppy, even at latter months/stages of breastfeeding

1 person likes this.