1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to improve writing habits in kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by malathia, Oct 25, 2013.

1. malathia

malathia Silver IL'ite

Dear Iltes,

Need a help, my son is 4 years old and finds difficult to write in 4 Lined books :( For his home works that are given only in the weekend i have to slog to make him write.

He writes on board, slate but in the book he finds difficult and different shapes we can see.I try not loosing my cool but he keeps scribbling and making it a mess :(

Please suggest me what to do !

Thanks,

Malathi

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

We need to make them practice. I am also facing same problem. My son don't like to write or draw but he can do.

1 person likes this.
  3. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Make him write on a dotted lines within the four lines. Like Padmash said, practice, practice, and more practice.

One more thing, don't expect them to write PERFECTLY....like letter "X", my son used to write one line straight and another line extremely slanted.

Make him do more fine-motor activities like paper crumpling and grains sorting.

1 person likes this.
  4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

It is really difficult to transition from slate boards to books...he has to develop the wrist control needed to keep his writing within the lines. All you can do is give him lots of practice and he will develop the skill only when his muscles are ready for it.

Tape paper on the wall and let him draw/ paint/write on the vertical surface. That helps in wrist isolation. You can also tape the paper under a chair or a low table...he can lie down under the piece of furniture and draw/write. Make it a fun and goofy activity to help him buy into it. This too will help in wrist isolation.

He can also help knead chapathi dough...think wrist movement all along.

While you work on the wrist control you can also make him conscious about the writing process...use descriptive language like to narrate the steps to forming letters...'start at the top, bring it down, bump the line, curved letter, straight line...'

3 people like this.
  5. malathia

malathia Silver IL'ite

Thanks teacher will start taping on the wall he can start writing on that.

I will start with these things.

Thanks again !

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

You're welcome Malathi.
    Here's a good website with info on different aspects of fine motor development. It is for the classroom and some of the activities use materials available in the US. you can get a better understanding of the range of skills necessary to developing good hand function and substitute local materials as and when needed.
    http://www.oceanside.k12.ny.us/special_ed/Helping Hands-Website Information.pdf

7. malathia

malathia Silver IL'ite

Thank u soo much teacher it is a wonderful write up :)