1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Choose A Nanny?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by blindpup10, Sep 12, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

For the first time, my DS will be with a nanny for a whole day.
    I got an Indian nanny from Desi community in our area from FB. This nanny was referred by another woman who says that the nanny babysits for her on/ off.

As this is the first time for me hiring a nanny- What should I do be aware of?
    1. How do I make sure the desi nanny is credible and doesn't run away with my child?
    2. Doesn't run away with passports/ gold/ SSN and personal information?
    3.I am paying her $12 an hour. This is the current rate in my area- should I negotiate on the amount or should I ask her to do few household stuff? ( I heard few mommies makes nannies do household) Is this a doable option?
    4.Does she get paid in extra if we come home late? or ask her to come early before 9 am?
    5. Should I buy a nanny cam and see if nothing bad happens?
    6.As she is a new person, I am thinking of asking her to pay me a visit so she can get acquainted with our DS.. is this a good idea? Will she ask me to pay for the acquaintance period?

Any other tips, do's and dont's will seriously help me.

Rajkum846 likes this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

1. References. That is very important. Since your child will be with her the entire day, get more than the one reference you've had. Also because you are opening up your home to her. Get references, talk to her in person and see how she interacts with your child. Surely there must also be background checks done by the police / similar organisation there for people who work with kids? Ensure she has all the documents in place.

2. You have to lock your valuables away. There is no two ways about it. If you've got references and the verification done, you ought to be sorted.

3. Write up a contract and mention what else you would like done. Laundry? Cleaning? Cooking? Pop something into the oven so it's ready for when you return home? Talk to her and be clear about what you want upfront. Remember though that she is in charge of your child - I would ask her to use chemicals for cleaning while taking care of the child. Write out kduties like taking your child out to the park and play groups everyday.

4. Again, the contract including the timings will help here. If she has to stay late or come early, you will have to pay extra. It is a good idea to ask for one night baby sitting a week/ month and agree this in advance. It won't be professional if she has to make changes in the last minute without much warning. At the same time if there is an ad hoc emergency, based on your rapport with her she might waive off charges.

5. It would be a good idea as long as it isn't against the law to record in your state. There are security cameras which you could use for this and monitor in real time.

6. It is important your child gets acquainted with her before you leave the child with her. I'm not sure if you'd pay for a trial period; you could negotiate with her. Or ask others who have engaged a nanny in your area what the done thing is.

You need to be able to strike a balance - not show her you are made of money; at the same time not come across as stingy - she is going to be caring for your child; you don't want any resentment.

It would help if she has attended a first aid course and knows what to do in an emergency.

Also you might have to make sure she has the right visa to work there.

Bubbles and blindpup10 like this.
  3. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

i dont have much idea on this but one of my friends used to stay in one room locked for one or 2 days till her son got adjusted to the nanny.

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. blindpup10

@guesshoo- Thanks a lot for the information. I will update on how things goes after the initial nanny interview.
    Apparently, my nanny speaks very less English and fluent in Hindi. So based on this I am assuming she is an H4 and may not have her own right visa status to work. If she is giving me her H's SSN and car details... will this do?

Or should I just look for someone else like through an agency ?

5. blindpup10

@Bhanulakshmi-
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering too.. if this is I should lock myself up :tearsofjoy:
    So far DS seems ok without mommy. However that has been a short period like 1/2 hour.

Let's see what drama unfolds.

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Before anything make sure she is legal to work in the US. In the event of an emergency if the nanny is not legal to work they will drag their feet in calling 911. Those few minutes might make all the difference. Yes nannies with legal work permits may not be available for $12 per hour but that is a risk not worth taking.
    Running away with a kid doesnt usually happen. The cost for them is very high. Take their SSN and driver id. Valuables...may be ..references references..cannot stress that enough.
    Depends ...if this is a permanent position then its possible to negotiate terms like a monthly salary with a few days off. If its once in while then I doubt it.
    How old is ur child? With a school going child household work is an option...with toddlers I would steer clear of that...unless u know the nannys multitasking capabilities well.
    Yes.
    I think that is common these days. Talk to her ..she needs to know. I think that is the law. U cannot put surveillance without her knowledge.
    She needs to be away from her current job to make time for it. So yes she has to be compensated.

blindpup10 likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If she does not have an EAD then she is probably going to do this under the table. $12 an hour is quite a low salary for a trained nanny. If she can legally work then it will not be a problem for you to run a background check. In case of the former, personal references and your gut feeling will become very important. If you are going to pay her on the books make sure you are also paying the correct taxes.
    If she is going to be long-term you should negotiate vacation policies and what to do if she calls in sick, etc. You will also need to pay overtime if she has to work outside her regular hours. And usually the nanny gets paid even if you go on vacation so make sure you discuss all that with her.
    Keep your valuables either securely locked in your home or in a bank locker. If you want to install a nanny cam make sure you are following your local jurisdiction's rules.
    You will have more leeway with an Indian nanny if you want them to do extra housework. The ones you get through agencies are usually very particular about not doing anything other than the child-related chores like kid's meal prep and laundry.

guesshoo and blindpup10 like this.
  8. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

I have an amazing nanny to take care of my two boys. I knew her from her volunteering at local hindu temple, and I knew that she is working as a nanny. Coincidentally she was looking for work and I was looking for nanny at the same time, and I happen to hire her. Though I knew her as a nice person but I have no trustworthy references for her work as nanny.
    Things I did before hiring her
    1. Called her to my house (she came with her hubby who works in IT here) we did the initial talking regarding the work and her responsibilities and payment details. She got to see my house and met with kids too. Her only son is in college and stays in different city which is a plus coz no responsibilities during the week.
    2. Went to her house with my hubby, checked her education qualifications (degree certificates, ID card). Decided the start date.
    3. Installed 2 nanny cams in living room and 1 in kids bedroom. I told that in advance that I will have cameras in house everywhere not to spy on you but I want to keep watching my kids anytime during the day otherwise I would keep calling and that would disturb you and kids.
    4. All our important stuff(other than kids :tongueout:) is in master bedroom, but I do not lock that door. If I can trust my kids with her then ofcourse anything else is OK. But I can see if she ever enters that door.

Only thing I would like to stress is we cannot trust any references enough nor any background check more than watching kids through camera during trying times of the day. And even if you do not watch them so often, having a camera on the spot makes a big difference.
    Also do not hide the fact that you would be watching them over in camera. I would prefer her behave cautiously knowing that someone is watching her, rather than trying to catch her red handed and again running to find another nanny.
    Its been 6 months with her already and I am so happy with her that I gave her 10% hike 2 months back even without her asking :blush:.

blindpup10 likes this.
  9. blindpup10

@justanothergirl-Thanks for the info. Yes, the nanny cam is legal. I never knew that.
    @MalStrom- Yes, you are right she may have EAD and I might be imagining all possibilities for no reason.
    @sslkgpaa- Valid advice. I think I will follow your method. After the basic interview.

I am a SAHM for right now, things are about to change. Alteast for half a day. I will be going to school. Immediately I don't need a nanny who does household, but definitely a good woman that I can trust is what I am looking for.

One more question for your ladies- Do nanny's get their lunch/ breakfast or are they allowed to cook at the place of work? Apart from Coffee/ tea.

My DS also take 3 hour of nap twice in his schedule. What should I expect nanny to do while my DS takes a nap?

10. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

My nanny cooks kids snack, laundry, folding their clothes etc while little one is sleeping and elder one is still in school. She is also teaching my older one reading and writing hindi. She is a post graduate in India (M.com). She helps him with homework too sometimes, but on usual days I prefer doing that. Also since she had her son complete schooling recently she is a great help in knowing what and hows of public schools in california.

Rajkum846 and blindpup10 like this.