1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Teaching Is Needed For Young Kids?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SGBV, Aug 4, 2017.

1. priyanka12345

priyanka12345 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My son is also turning 6 now. I think the study time is too much personally. 3-5 tution and then 6-7 you take studies.. isnt that too much? And what extra do you do apart from teaching same thing taught in tution. Yes during exam its ok to take their revision but everyday tution+parent's teaching would be hectic on kid.

Do they really need tution? IF you spend 6-7 everyday and make him learn and do homework, i dont think they need tution. The concepts should be clear and that what will matter later..

At this age they also want to study, play. They are good at public speaking or singing. So they are spending time there as well which they enjoy. Similarly if you cut down on time for studies they might be able to learn that much only in shorter time frame.While comparing the marks of your kids to others do you think on how the others do in extra curricular activities?I think you are also ending up like your mother.. comparing marks etc but they cant be compared. Every person is different and has different abilities. As long as he understands conceptually and applies it in exam you should be good. Please dont overburden them with more hrs of study.

You mentioned that other kids study longer hrs but its similar to what your son knows. Because concentration for such small kids cannot be for longer hrs. whatever we teach after 1 hr or 1.5 hr max will be waste.. they wont grasp that easily is what I feel.

2. stephanjohn

stephanjohn Senior IL'ite

Do not push your son too hard. He is doing pretty good. The traditional school system of keeping parents-teacher's meetings can't be changed but you can discuss with the staff so as not to mention your child's marks publicly. Keep motivating your child and do not let anyone compare your child's marks in front of him.

3. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

Hello OP, Dont fret too much. If you feel, he is not scoring 100, then just look at the places where he is not doing well. It may be silly mistakes, unable to comprehend the answer, etc. Focus on that area where he is weak and work on it. Remember its not the quantity but quality of hours for study that matters. Generally children need help till they are 10years. Then, they manage on their own. Again its very subjective. Also 100 marks isnt a benchmark!

Also when we were students, we used to have Homework book. This was done purposely to write each answer 2-3 times in primary class. This made reinforcement and recall strong. Nowadays, that concept is not there. Try maintaining a book at home and make him write.

Introduce different ways of teaching to him. It need not be limited to textbook learning. Try getting examples from life and incorporate in his studies.Whenever we co-relate to outside world, I have seen children tend to grasp better. Lets not make studies a monotonous boring affair. It can be interesting too. You can introduce role plays, dramas, quiz, story telling format to him. See if he enjoys this .

Since you have to cook 3 times a day and have a full time job, try to do weekly preps and make a timetable.If possible ask your maid to cut veggies. It will save your time. You are doing very well in balancing your life. Dont worry .

4. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

At such a young age, your child is indeed getting good marks. Why bother much. You have already arranged for his tutions and have other responsibilities to look after. I would suggest if the tutuion teacher is doing a good work, you could even ignore teaching him again for 1 hour. Just reduce it to must be a supervision. Ignore your mom's comparison. Every child is different. I would have had a concern only if the marks go below 75%.