1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Is Too Much And How Much Is Not Much

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Stressfull, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Dear ilites,
    This is going to be a long thread pls bear.

I was married for 10vyears. I had two children 8yr old and 1yr old. We r living in abroad. Husband is a nice person but very short tempered. I need to talk watching his mood.

When i was newly married we don't have family pass to stay in abroad. So for first four years i used to live with my inlaws with short visit to abroad. Later i got family pass moved with husband.

Now cmg my inlaws are controlling and greedy though not manipulative. Everything was needed to done with their permission. To add it my fil is alchoholic. He used to abuse me vebally. My mil also never used to leave me alone to talk with my hubby in the phone. I had very bitter and terrible experiences with them after my 1st child was born. It will be a very lenghty if i mention all this.

To cut story short now we r happy couple. But it was not rosy either. After lots of fights and tears my hubby changed. But i never came in between my dh and his parents financially. He still sending hiw much they want. For me no problem as he is securing for our future too.

Now cmg to main problem ever since i got family pass my inlaws are cmg every year to abroad. Intially i thought gradually it will reduce because whenever they r cmg here im loosing my sleep thinking about past. How much i try im not able to get rid of the past. My hus cannot say no to any demands of his parents. Now this visiting increased more like fir every twi months. Im not saying parents cannotcome to sons house. But there has to be balance.

These same people used to harass me with words whenever i used to go to live with my hubby befire family pass. Now nothing comes to their mind. If they want to cime here we must be ready with tickets. Now the situation is like this. Recently im gettting suicidal thoughts also. Sometimes im crying if i harm myselves in this rage what will happen to children.

Everybody even my parents are thinkung im making mole of mountains. Pls adviceme.

2. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

Hello dear
    Get it clear in mind that none of your actions and thoughts will change anyone.
    I can understand you but I think instead of focusing on inlaws focus on kids and you.
    Go out with kids play with them.
    Do few things for you...join gym or start meditation.

3. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi Stressfull,

Your user name itself signifies you are stressed out. My piece of advice...

1. Committing suicide is not a remedy, so please take care of your health eat well, sleep well and have fun with your kids also note you are their role model.

2. Go for morning or evening walk (as per your convenience), listen to good music, develop some hobbies or gardening, make new friends, visit any near by park with your kid, mix up with your neighbors etc... Ensure you spend at least 1 to 2 hours daily.

3. If your husband manages both sides expenses (includes your kids future, your and family future and other expenses) its better you don't bother about it.

4. During your in laws visit continue with your regular schedule no need to be extra sweet or going out of your way for pleasing any one. Do your duties and be formal while talking. These people are not worth to be thought or cared for keep your conversations to minimal.

5. If you want to punish them (not advisable) for their past acts you can do is don't speak with them at all (during your husbands absence), every time you speak or do any duty for them remind them how they ill treated with you, scare them with incidents about how some DIL torture their in laws by filing police complaints, scare them about how the legal systems work in support of the DIL. Be loud when ever you speak or argue with your husband (specially when your in laws are present). Create some tantrums about ill health and make your in laws do the cooking and other work during their stay. In short freak them out or make them do the entire work during their stay.

Best wishes...

4. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Thank y you dear im planning to go for meditation classes

5. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Thank you dishaa for your kind and detailed advice. How much im trying to cope up they r pushing me to the extreme. All in all my kids should not suffer. I need to be strong. But i dont want to punish them. But this time i was zure i will do what can i do nothing other than that. Planning to join some yoga classes thank you.

Dishaa and sindmani like this.
  6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Considering your younger one is just one year old, I think you maybe under some kinda post patrum depression as well. Because suicidal thoughts for annoying in laws are a bit extreme.

What can help you: Yoga, meditation, walking, exercise, new friends, social life, travel, hobby, job, studies, - basically change your routine n do something that makes you happy.

Happiness should first come from inside you, figure out what makes you happy when it comes to any of the above or anything else n distract yourself n feel better.

I understand your feelings n anger regarding your in laws. I understand that it's super annoying to see your in laws still controlling your life in terms of their visits. But you haven't mentioned about them torturing you currently, during their visits, every thing seemed like it was all in the past. N that it still haunts you.

There are many possible reasons for their increased visits..
    They have nothing to do back home.
    They are trying to show off to their relatives.
    They are enjoying their abroad stay more.
    They are building a stronger bond with their son n family.

If they are increasing it so frequently, then it maybe possible that they will consider staying with you permanently, which can be avoided citing visa reasons.

Also since you have been able to get through to your husband before, why not speak to him about this too and make these visits reasonable.

If he's not ready to listen, maybe you can show him or in laws by actions, subtle in the beginning then louder. Don't over serve them or make anything special for them. Just be normal, or even slower if you are stressed.

Or during the period your in laws are home, why don't you leave your one year old with them n go try a part time job or study or something. Or get very long sleep. You can use it to your advantage. Try not to be home or keep yourself super busy.

You are living a happy life with your hubby n kids now as you have found the balance so this can be handled too. You are capable, you have achieved a happy life don't let your past with them spoil this for you. The best revenge to your haters is when you actually live happily. So go for that happiness.

P.S. Generally (depending on the marriage relationship), when a spouse commits suicide, the other one just gets remarried because either the "kids needs someone to care" or they "can't be alone forever". N in cases of either the spouse or in laws being the abusers, they will just say good riddance n name that person "crazy". That's all happens.

7. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

hi,

You didn't say how they behaving now after you settled in abroad.. if they have changed you can let it go.. they are coming to your house.. Its not their house you are living anymore.. you are the owner of your home, do things that will make them understand that they have come to your house and not the vice versa..

they might want to get along with your kids, since they are also getting old, they will definitely miss their son & grand kids..

if they are not much of nuisance, you should not feel bad about their frequent visit..

if they are giving hard times when they visit you once in a year, you should act, you should show them that you are the owner of the house.. I advice not to tell your husband that you are displeased with his parents visit, because no men will take it in right way..

atleast thank God that you are not living with them anymore.. its only 2 months in a year..

Stressfull likes this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Really agree with @ashneys here ! Please check if you have post partum depression and get help. Feeling suicidal because of inlaws past behavior is a little concerning here. Please seek help asap.
    You have a relatively happy marriage ( inspire of all the inlaws drama and husband’s temper) , two precious beautiful kids . Things are not as bad as you think they are. Develop hobbies, get back to work ( if you aren’t already), focus on the positives in your life and just be grateful. Live your life in the present, don’t invest too much time and emotions on the past and the inlaws. Take care!!!

Stressfull likes this.
  9. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi Op,

I have only one question.

Your have not mentioned your kids age, but do you think once they start understanding everything will they be very happy?

Think about it..

Regards,

10. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Thank you ashneys and sandy,

Yes i too think im in depression but i think its not related to post partum. Investing too much emotions on inlaws and husband like why, how, what, when, if, buts is driving me crazy. Bottled up feelings for many years.

No my inlaws are not cmg for 2months every year now its like two months here and 2 months in India. Im fed up of their emotional blackmail. My husband being the only son(he has two sisters) making things more complicated. He is helpless. They are cmg next week. This time i want to be firm in drawing the line.

I have friends here but everybody busy with their own life. I planning to join some yoga or meditation classes. Lets see if it brings any transfirmation in me.

Dishaa likes this.