1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Communicate This With My 6 Year Old?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rakhii, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Parents, can you please share with me your ideas about how to communicate with a school goes with regards to (example) below?
    My 6 and half year old absolutely loves this particular bathing/swim suit. Past 2 months she sick to the point that she lost a LOT of weight. So, what fit 2 months ago is now falling off her bum, essentially exposing most of her bum. I tried telling her that maybe she can use it "later" when it fits better. she threw a fit. I let her wear it. during swimming, i can see how its practically showing most of her bum. After she got out of the pool i told her that this bathing suit isnt suiting her and she should consider not wearing it until she grows into it.

She misunderstood....she told her dad that I called her "ugly" in that suit. I did not use that word at all.
    Of late i see that I face these... how should i put it, difference of opinion with her and I feel i am not handling it well and somehow making her feel uncomfortable about it.

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Why not take her shopping for a new swimsuit? Make it a positive change for something nicer.

Children at 6 understand situations and social norms. If you tell her that her butt is exposed and that maybe she can wear something else until she grows into this one, she will respond positively to your request. Afterall, it's not comfortable wearing an ill-fitting swimsuit.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Rakhii

I would have taken her shopping Bhumi, only she has 4 more perfectly fitting swimsuits. She really likes this ill fitting one....I feel horrible. She thinks i think she is ugly in that suit.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

In my experience kids your daughters age are starting to understand/ misunderstand the concept of beauty and perfection , thanks to their peers at school. Kids at that age don’t hesitate to state their opinions to each other if they think it doesn’t fit their idea of beauty .

So if I were you i would not tell her that the swim suit doesn’t fit her/ suit her. I would go to the nearest Disney store and pick a cuter better fitting swim suit and get her all excited about it. It may or may not work, but worth a try.

sindmani likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

Is there any way that the swimsuit can be "dirty" or out of commission for a day or two? Then make it magically disappear onto some top shelf, until she fits into it?

sumalynux likes this.
  6. Rakhii

OK..i suppose i do have to shell some money. I feel really down today Sandy. Like I work so hard everyday of the week, somehow keep the financial well being stable etc etc and then I seem to have so many extra expenses like this additional new suit. I mean, why should/would buy a new one unless I have no choice. she already has enough and more.
    I see where you are coming from...but its adding up. I try to strike a balance and then I feel like I am losing control. On one hand i teach her not to waste and on the other hand I go to store buying a 5th pair.
    last night, DS wouldnt stop crying for a freezie (his 3rd one for the day). I was exhausted between my DD, my DS and the whole days work...i just gave up and yelled "do whatever you want"....

I feel so very overwhelmed today.

7. Rakhii

LOL....my thoughts exactly! I probably make it disappear before her next lesson.

Is this the best approach though? I feel its only the beginning of many things to come.

sindmani and sumalynux like this.
  8. BhumiBabe

I'm pretty sure that's what my own mom did, and I turned out fine :thumbup: mostly, at least. As parents we are so overwhelmed by our responsibilities and making sure our children grow up to be well-adjusted citizens of the world. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't going to produce irreparable damage (by hiding it, I mean). Her feelings that she is "ugly", that's definitely not good, and if that is her interpretation, I would take the lesser of the evils to solve the problem.

Rakhii likes this.
  9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii, I am so sorry you are overwhelmed. Parenting is tough no doubt . I didn’t see your earlier reply about having other swimsuits when I typed mine.i am a strong believer in kids realizing the value of money.
    But I also think your daughter is at an age where the foundations for good self esteem are being laid.Coming from a family where self esteem issues are rampant and how it impacts adult life ( marriage, friendships and everything else) I felt this needs to be tackled carefully.
    Making the swimsuit disappear is an immediate solution , but will not still address the deeper issue why she thinks you implied she was “ugly”. I know it’s not possible always but positive words will definitely help going forward .
    Can you alter the swim suit , even basic stitches can help it stay in place. Tell her I am altering it , it will fit you “nicely “ ?

On a side note, please take a deep breath ! Life can be overwhelming but I think it sometimes helps to slow down. I hope you get enough sleep with kids, work and everything else. Please take care. I wish you the best !

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rakhii the swimsuit could go missing for a day or two but how about talking, her mom did not mean you are ugly, you are my peach, what made you think i meant ugly..maybe you talked about her losing so much weight adter sickness to someone that she has become so thin or something on that lines especially to your parents . she mayhave overheard something..

the swimsuit can be tacked with a few stitches temporarily and can be removed when she improves but addressing the issue and also about how tantrums and fits is not the way

sindmani and Rakhii like this.