1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How can a joint family prepare for the addition of a working dil ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by yellowmango, Sep 10, 2015.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Almost all of us agree that expecting a working dil to carry out the traditional role of a housewife too is wrong.

We all agree that changes need to be made to the present set up and expectations .

Women are changing too fast,they are getting and excelling in more and more demanding jobs but unfortunately,the families are not keeping pace with the change.

Eventually down the line,things will settle down for better or worse but in the interim time,what are the changes that the joint family can make when they are planning on getting a working dil,so that life is fair for her too?
    Here we are assuming that the family will not be ready for major overhaul like the males in the family taking on equal role at home any time soon.

1)Accept that the new member is not a replacement of duty roster for mil. Accept her as a member of the family.

2) Accept that a new member will mean more work for the care taker of the family...who in most cases is the mil. Also that this new member will in due time have little newer member ....so work load is going to increase and a solution should be found before it becomes a problem.

This new member brings in extra money for the family.Even if the dil's money is going into future security of the couple,the combined earning of the couple should ensure that a full time help is kept for the caretaker of the house.

At this stage if they are 2-3 earning members ,then the mil should only do the work she enjoys doing.
    E.g...if she enjoys cooking ,then get the helper to chop stuff and do the rest of the house work.

Mil not wanting a maid is not an option unless she is ready to do the grind with guilt trips from her or others. A working dil in the house needs a maid for things to be fair to everyone.

3)Make family comfort a priority. Get better appliances.

E.g,if two families are together,get the biggest washing machine available so that washing can be an alternate day chore.

Get a four five burner gas chullah .Get induction chullah.....more chullahs mean quicker cooking.

4)Let people choose the chores they want to do.(within reason ) If dil is a morning person...let her choose to work in the morning.If she prefers working after coming home ,let her choose to work at night. A person cannot be expected to work both times. If she can get her husband to help her out,there should be no interference. Same with mil and her husband.

5)Accept the concept of families within families.
    While you may live in a joint family,accept the couple as a separate entity too. These separate families should have a right to decide on their life as a couple. If they want to have a social life other than the bigger family social life,it should be accepted without grudges .

Please add on and let us keep it positive.:thumbsup
    Do forgive if this attempt seems silly. I come from a family of nuclear families on both sides (at least three generations).My experience of JF is limited to the 3-4 months we spend with the parents .

nju, salad, nakshatra1 and 10 others like this.

2. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

Good write up yellowmango. I agree to all the points. As you already know the issues I'm facing, now I understood that my family did not give me space and understood me. As a working DIL I had to do all the things even when I was pregnant. There was no fair distribution amount the chores or responsibilities. Hope all girls get an understanding family and does not face any issues at In-Laws.

1 person likes this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

If lady of the house earns too then every member of the house has to add help, only then family goes smooth...if every family member becomes independent at least for their own chores then it become easy...
    Like every family member washes their plates after eating....every member cleans their own room...every member take responsibility of washing their clothes, folding them and putting in almirah...
    Clear division of chores and every person assigned with some tasks...even male members can help with easy things like preparing tea...
    One thing I have found is if there is no clear division and assignment then any help is like no help...
    My husband used to help whenever I ask in everything but there was no assignment ...like if it is decided that cutting veggie is his job only that will help me managing my routine more easily....One day he can prepare even whole meal and other day nothing...so its like I carry the pressure of all the tasks daily as there is no surety...
    Same stands true for my mil....One day she will prepare breakfast , other day she will not...so I was always in confused state...I use to get up daily with the pressure that I have to prepare breakfast for all....if she would have taken the responsibility of just preparing tea but daily that would have been more helpful to me...

2 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

IMHO If only the person responsible for morning chores is woken up with a piping hot cup of tea(make it ginger tea:coffee) and allowed to have it in peace before the grind begins...life for that morning worker would be so much better.

Dishaa, nakshatra1, sindmani and 2 others like this.
  5. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Although i've lived as Nuclear after marriage, i sooo wish your write up to be true for many suffering ladies out there!

sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Good one Yellowmango :clap....so nicely you have highlighted the important points...

If everyone implement these, then most of the problems between couples will vanish....

7. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

nice write up..

Also , finances should be shared between earning members of family equally or in the percent they earn..

1 person likes this.
  8. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

I just hope my hubby and ILs read such posts... and understand as well...

2 people like this.
  9. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Very good points......

Based on my experience, i feel in-laws should continue or develop their own activities and i think it relates to your #5,

10. yellowmango

This one is very important.
    People who have hobbies and an active social life are happier and easier to be with...
    unless the hobby involves lots of hammering and amateur violin playing.:hide:

sindmani and Anamika99 like this.