1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home made Healthy snacks for 1 year baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Uma Shakthi, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Uma Shakthi

Uma Shakthi Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

My son had just completed one year this week. I want you to guide me with your valuable ideas w.r.t home made snacks for him..
    For the past 1-2 weeks, he's refuse to eat.. not sure whether it's becoz of his cold.. I just want to know the recipes of snacks which we can give to him now..

Until now I haven't started giving coconut, tomato, dry fruits, nuts, ground nuts and also spices..
    Please show me light on this when I can start giving this..

He also seems to get bored of the usual idli, pongal, dal rice, carrots...

Can the snscks such as Pottukadali urundai and all be given now?

I am really feeling bad that I am not giving him food properly:bowdown

Thanks a lot,
    Uma

2. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

hi uma,

try baby rusk & biscuits. mixed fruits & veg. idiyappam +coconutmilk.
    home made jilly.dates.kesari, ragi

don't give coconut directly, give cocnut milk& watery pottu kadalai chatney.

tomato you peel the skin & give

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Uma Shakthi

Thanks a lot Aharia for your kind response. Will surely make a try..

Is there any way we can include dates? am not sure whether he would able to take directly... w.r.t biscuits I had tried Nutrichoice digestive.. can we give plain cakes from bakery?

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes you can soak dates and make a puree.. Then use this puree 1 spoon when making any juice or milkshake.. or as you say, you can soak biscuits in this puree and give him..

5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

You can soak dates in hot water and add to milk shake or even fruit salad....

6. Uma Shakthi

Ranchu , Aparna - Thank you so much for your replies. Will make a try with the dates.. Hope we can add it to Kanji also.. But not sure how it will tastes.. Let me try..

w.r.t Nuts like Peanuts, Badam, Cashew - when we can include in baby's diet..
    if we can add to Health mix (Sathu maavu), I can also try it out.. My son not hesitates to eat rice nowadays..

7. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    In my opinion and my docs opinion nuts can wait for some more time since allergies are known to cause by the same. Check out with your ped before starting the same.
    I used to make porridge with dates and dalia ( Burgos,lapsi) and ghee . This way dates too went in..

8. deepmishi

deepmishi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma,

You have started nice thread, very common problem that we face with kids... My 1.3yr son is also very fussy in eating... I just keep changing the taste for him. Here i have few things that helps me..

1. You can give your baby rasins( I started giving my son when he was 9 months) just soak some 3 to4 raisins in water overnight n mash it in morning n give the filtered water.
    2. You can grind the oats and keep it. Either boil in milk with little sugar or make kanji. Sometime I add 1 sp oats, little moong dal and some veggies together, pressure cook them n make thick paste. He likes it...:)
    3. I make wheat flour ladoos ( sweet) n mathi(salt) and give him instead of biscuits..
    4. I started giving dry fruits before he could complete 1 and touch wood didn't face any problem...may be you can start with soaked badam half in a day.
    5. I give chapatti (very thin Phulka) soaked in milk or moong dal sometimes...
    6. Instead of dal rice sometimes I give him khichdi with more veggies.
    7. Wheat bread in milk.
    8. From last month I started with corn flakes and wheat flakes, he likes it...

When he gets cold I make oats kanji n add little ginger+ turmeric..:)

I hope this may give you little help. :thumbsup It's really tough job to make them eat everything..
    it will beso nice if you share your way of food also.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  9. Uma Shakthi

Thanks Deeps. Hope we are sailing in the same boat:) Your menus seems nice.. will make a try..
    Also could you pls tell me the recipes for ladoos?

My major problem now is DS is not willing to eat solid foods.. for the past 10-15 days he's hesitating and some what am managing.. but for the past 3 days he's spitting it even without tasting it :( I guess he's thinking it as a game :( :( Am very much depressed of it and sometimes felt to cry loudly ;(

I was giving Idlis, Dosa, Pongal, Dal rice, Veg rice He seems to get bored of it all.. Could you please help me why these little one are behaving like this? My mom is also not here for the past 1 week so am really got depressed of it..

10. anvika

anvika New IL'ite

hi
    u can also give egg.my son like sweets .so i will beat the egg wid some flavored milk and steam it .then it looses its odour and my son likes it
    and regarding nuts, i will blend soaked badam in drinking milk and filter them before giving