1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Holy Cow....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Cow is a sacred animal as per the Hindu religion. We worship the cow during festivals and other occasions seeking its blessing. Our elders have passed on to us the good and positive attributes of a cow which is deeply rooted in us.

So are all cows’ holy cows?? Today seeing the cows makes me really wonder how holy they are :thinking:. I live in the so called Garden city. It’s a common sight seeing cows loitering around. Gone are those days where the cattle had an exclusive shelter. Today one can see them here and there, neither is the care taker bothered nor are the cows. There are happily resting on garbage piles, most of the times they eat out of the garbage and live on the garbage. What a pity!!!

Oh did I talk about food now!! Have you ever thought about the cow food??? Unlike dogs and cats their food is not packaged and easily available in the supermarket. Cows are not old fashioned anymore They seem to have imbibed the city culture and like getting their taste buds tickled as well :yum:. Sounds crazy right??? There are couple of cows around my vicinity who take a stroll morning and evening before they retire for the day. I don’t know how and when the inception of a new comfort food started but I bear witness to it today. There is one particular black cow that stops by at our apartment gate, takes a deep breath before it moose. What happens next – any guesses?? The building security offers it toast for breakfast :lol: .And sometimes chapatti too. The cow supposedly relishes veggies too of the previous day. The first time I witnessed this bizarre scene, a thought struck my mind. Imagine the cow being fed with paneer . How more hilarious can this get now. The cow gets a taste of its own medicine :D.

Junk food seems to have not spared the cattle also. I cannot find a neat healthy looking cow around. Cows are obese, don’t look as pleasant as one would expect. Cholesterol level surpassing the fact it’s an animal, is evident. What with the type of food – who knows probably people feed these cows the leftover pizzas and pastas. Cows are left with little choice, it’s like the survival of the fittest. How can one blame if the milk is watery and thin in form. Making ghee and curds from milk as such is quiet a task, with the adulteration that is so prevalent.

It is not a common sight to see cows standing right in the center of the road akin to the heavy traffic. My heart skips a beat every time I cross one and pray that these cows don’t bear the brunt of rash driving. As for zebra crossing, when the rule is not followed by a two legged human how can one expect that from a four legged cow right??

What made me think of cows now?? A recent trip with my DH to Kumbakonam is to be blamed. In our two day holy trip we spent a great deal of time feeding cows. We spotted so many cows, be it near or inside the temple or the market place. It was a real pleasure to feed them agathi keerai (august tree leaves in English). Trust me I don’t think city cows have ever heard of it nor seen. Now the Kumbakonam cows definitely looked petite and holy. After coming back you can imagine my frustration seeing the city cows :rolleyes:.

All said and done, cows are gentle animals. Hope their lifestyle and living improves in the city. As for being holy it’s all in the eyes of the believer I suppose :angel:.

PS – I am a peace loving person :). My post is the outcome of mixed emotions. I have no intention of hurting religious sentiments. Thank you.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Scorpio,

Cows are worshiped still in villages. Even before, they draw milk from the cow, women worship them. The city cows are different. They are left to feed on their own. Even in Chennai, like men, they drool a lot when they see a poster of Namitha but make one step more by eating the poster. In Chennai, we call them brake-inspectors as they stand right in the middle of the road unaffected by what happens around them.

Having a cow in the city requires license and an inspector will have to visit home to see the shed and hygiene in the shed. Despite all that rule, I am not sure how the cows freely roam around the streets of cities. Probably, the bribing the relevant inspectors work for the cows as well.

In the US, we performed a Homam and the priest told us to give something to a cow. We drove a long distance and finally found a cow inside the fence grazing but there was a board in the premises that trespassers would be prosecuted. Hence we came back to the temple tank and fed the duck.

Viswa

Viswa

3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

4. Scorpio707

Viswa Sir,

I can't stop laughing now....Namitha :lol: . Thanks for your response.

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

6. Scorpio707

7. Scorpio707

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

The plight of cows is really sad. They have to fend for themselves once they are of no further economic use to their owners. The poor cows wander around in urban areas eating garbage including plastic. I read one study recently which said the average urban cow has 20-30 kg of plastic in its stomach! I hope we learn to treat animals with more respect — especially since we claim to revere the cow.

God bless your building security guy and all others who stop to feed the hungry. :thumbsup:

Sorry I went off on a tangent, @Scorpio707. :blush:

And thank you for your snippet. I enjoyed reading it. :)

-

9. Scorpio707

Yes that's true cows consume a lot of plastic from the garbage...it's really a sad plight. Thanks for posting a reply Amica and I am glad you liked it. :):thumbsup:

Amica likes this.
  10. waiting4rmlong

waiting4rmlong Gold IL'ite

It is sad by seeing cows on roads eating garbages. I too wonder how their owners left them on road by indirectly hinting them go and have anything on the road. One day one cow's back injured like someone cut ,it is walking on road with making sound pain and trying to turn head its back side to do something. Very pathetic scene. Felt very bad. How cows are left like that in the garden city.
    @scorpio you did good job feeding for some cows at least.
    We should feed them whenever we get chance to save them for next future with atleast whatever we can able to do.

Scorpio707 likes this.