Hindu Mythology And Women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BhumiBabe, Sep 27, 2018.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

The last couple weeks, I have been on a kick to understand women in Hindu Mythology. Well, not just that, because, my search really originated with this idea, that there is a guide to the 'ideal' life in the Gita, as well as most spiritual texts. But, the more I read, I am coming to feel that these texts are geared to a masculine audience and have less to offer for women. I am not saying that there is nothing for women, but the messages (and there are many conflicting messages) are clearly supporting a patriarchal mindset. Of course, this is not exclusive to Hinduism, but basically EVERY religion.

Now, I do not think my research is comprehensive. In fact, I am definitely no expert, just a fairly inquisitive woman with minimal time and knowledge about the subject. So, I bring my topic to this forum. What constitutes a Dharmic life for a woman? And what life lessons are we given through mythology, to live a 'full' life?

As a community, I hope that we can brainstorm or educate each other about Hindu mythology and lessons that are geared toward women and the way that we "should" live. This is definitely, a no judgement zone, and there are many various viewpoints. Please be kind to each other, even if our beliefs are vastly different. For those who are wondering what I am really trying to encourage people to talk about, I would like to recommend a book called Women Who Run with the Wolves, where the author takes folklore and mythology from various cultures, to understands the lessons that have been passed down for generations.

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Who-Ru...06&sr=8-1&keywords=women+who+runs+with+wolves

The stories that I hope to see, does not have to be just mythology - folklore and local stories passed down through word of mouth are welcome.

2. ragnarok

ragnarok Senior IL'ite

Bhumi,
    My 2cents, try to read the actual Bhagvat Gita with a gender agnostic perspective. The primary messages conveyed there are about good soul and good being - both are irrespective of gender since the soul knows no gender.

Try not to super-impose material world angles (such as gender and many other dimensions) and you will get more from it. IMO, thats the better approach, you may disagree, but thats upto you.

3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I have been very fascinated with Sita in Hindu mythology. I have had lot of conflicting thoughts about her role as a ideal wife vs ideal woman ( they are two different things IMO). The interpretations of Sita in Ramayana have differed based on the time and the authors . I stumbled upon this article by Madhu Kishwar which is very interesting

http://www.manushi-india.org/pdfs_issues/PDF files 98/yes_to_sita_no_to_ram.pdf

Btw, I follow Sikhism. Just thought I should share this :

[​IMG] In praise of women.

"We are born of woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. Why should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman" (Guru Nanak, Var Asa, pg. 473)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    ratan, sindmani, joylokhi and 2 others like this.
  4. SinghManisha

I don’t believe in questioning others religious beliefs. But one must have the liberty to think and choose one’s own religious beliefs. Imbibe the good and omit things one is not comfortable with. What is the use of education and experience if one blindly follows without questioning and thinking ?

Lalithambigai and shravs3 like this.
  5. ragnarok

ragnarok Senior IL'ite

@SinghManisha a needless arrogant reply. Of what use is your education if you cannot read what I have written and instead make an arrogant post to qn my educ? re read my post, its the opposite of blindly following. Hinduism gives as much, if not more, importance to women as Sikhism does, if only you'd care to look deeper into it.

kaluputti likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Folks I'm stepping in here before things get out of hand. Threads like these have a history of ending in acrimonious accusations and counter-accusations. The OP has brought up an interesting subject for discussion. A thread like this has the potential to educate and illuminate. Unfortunately the way things have started out I see the thread getting locked before we even begin a consequential discussion. OP has asked for empowering stories about Indian women from mythology and folklore, and a discussion on a dharmic prescription for an 'ideal' life. Let's stick to sharing personal opinions and anecdotes. Once we get the past the teething stage, we can revisit the idea of engaging in a civilized debate.

In short, to all concerned, please do not engage in one-on-one arguments. As far as possible do not pick on individual posts and try to cross analyze them. Let's give the thread a chance.

7. SinghManisha

Your reply says it all. God bless you !

kavya007 and Lalithambigai like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very nice and thought-provoking thread, BB.

I don't have many deep thoughts (yet) on the main question, but wanted to mention a few good-reads related to it.
    The Gita for Children by Roopa Pai. Makes for an interesting read for any age. This amazon review is a comprehensive one for those who want to know more before spending time and money. If still not convinced, watch Roopa Pai's TEDx Talk. When someone talks like that, I read their book for at least 30 mins. : ) The book is actually not suitable for very young children. More like 12 years and older, and those who have some knowledge of the Mahabharata and Indian epics. I am reading it to discuss some points with a very dear friend in real life.

Actually have only that one book to recommend. The other one, The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Divakaruni, many must have already read. Would be nice to read their views about Divakaruni's interpretation (here or in another thread if it would be taking away from this thread's purpose).

Divakaruni has been working on a Sita book for long. She said it will include conversations between the women of the Ramayana, many of them who are ignored in other interpretations. Here are two reviews that make the book look promising:
    HarperCollins India aquires publishing rights for Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni’s next.

Chitra places Sita at the centre of the novel, as she gives voice to many of the other women in the epic—often misunderstood and relegated to the margins: Kaikeyi, Surpanakha, Mandodari.
    The novel deals with heartbreak, betrayal, fidelity and honour, the struggle to retain power and autonomy in a world that privileges men, and transforms an ancient story in to a gripping, contemporary battle of wills. The Ramayana continues to resonate, and Chitra makes the story even more relevant in the underlying questions in the novel: How should women be treated by their loved ones? What are their rights in a relationship? When does a woman need to stand up and say, ‘Enough!’

‘Sita’s voice is worth hearing’

9. ragnarok

ragnarok Senior IL'ite

@SinghManisha
    I dont have any issue with any religion incl sikhism. But its uncalled for to question my ability to apply my education as regards to discerning things in hinduism. It was very rude that you questioned my ability to apply my education to what religion teaches us. You could have certainly avoided that statement.

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ragini, If you have an issue with Manisha's posts, report them. Don't divert the thread anymore.