1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Herbalife- The Panacea for all ills??

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Krsnapriya, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Krsnapriya

Krsnapriya Senior IL'ite

Hello ILites,

Recently, I heard of a herbal drink called "Herbalife" here in Bangalore. It is supposed to be formulated by a team of expert nutritionists in US and is being marketed in India. I also attended one of the presentation sessions of the distributor where they claim that it is the panacea for all ills like - over-weight, under-weight, body aches, fatigue etc. etc. I have two queries:
    1) Have any of you heard of this product? If yes, please let me know whether it has been effective.

2) They claim that our body does not get the required complex carbohydrates, proteins etc in our normal food. ( In fact, they downright snub our traditional breakfast items like chapati, idlies, upma etc.). This product is claimed to be a substitute for our regular food and just taking a glass of this drink in the morning and night is sufficient to keep us healthy & active. Taking lunch is a personal choice.

Many people whom I know have changed their food habits and are following this diet, largely due to peer pressure. Is this change in food habits good for general health of the body?

looking forward to your comments,
    Rgds,
    Krsnapriya

2. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I don't think herbalife or for that matter any health dring can be a substitute to healthy three time meal that we have.
    All this is just a marketing strategy on the part of the distributor to market his product and by saying it is made under the supervision of US nutritionists it is just a gimmmick on their part bcoz of their known knowledge that we Indians have a weakness for foreigh products and that we trust US nutritionists more than their Indian counterparts.
    And by the time people realise that the product is a fake he already must have sold many bottles and recovered his profit.
    There was a recent scandal in mumbai about a product called body revival and the whole scam was busted and the founder of the product is now missing.
    He used to sell each vial for 15000 by saying that it cures cancer. A person with reasonable knowledge knows that there is no cure for cancwe but uneducated people bought the products by mortgaging their jewellery etc and now all are lodging a complaint againsthim. But he has already absconded

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

The product is not good. It will definitely have side effects on liver. My close friend who is a dietitian asked me to be away from it. It also might disturb your periods cycle and result in harmonal imbalance. Dont invite troubles while trying this product. Instead cut your portions and have lots of fluids. Exercise everyday and you will find the results.
    Many such products try to cash in on the weakness of the consumers. Dont fall into the trap.

4. prettyguns

prettyguns Silver IL'ite

Hi Krsnapriya,

This product is a gimmick like many other products in the market. But it has been in India for a long time. I had it when I was in college (that was nearly 13 years ago). It came in a pack called Herbalife Combo with a protein drink (in various flavors) + a Multivitamin tablet bottle + a bottle of tablets that help reduce weight. When I started on it, I lost 4 kilos in 1 month but after that the effect wore out and then I gained 5 kilos in the next 2 months :rotfl. It did nothing to reduce my weight, finally I joined the gym and sweated it out and that is what made me reduce.

All I did was spend a lot of money on this drink (it was pretty expensive then, don't know the cost now). Research has shown that you can substitute one meal a day with a high protein shake and not more than that since very high protein diet can cause kidney damage, that is why even Atkins diet is becoming less popular nowadays.

Best would be to go for a balanced diet + exercise combination to loose weight. Don't fall for what these Herbalife salesmen say, they are pretty convincing in their talk and after a meeting with them, you will definitely feel like the product is magic to all our health problems :bowdown when actually it is not the right and healthy way to loose weight.

5. Krsnapriya

Krsnapriya Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot, friends. Feedback from you all is precious for me 'coz I am now confident that I can convince my family friends to refrain from this sort of a diet.
    Your replies are really helpful...