Have anyone carried gold coins to India?

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by sinsica, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

If you are coming via chennai airport, all that matters is to be more confident. go via the green channel, you can talk to the customs, declare, and pay the tax and go ahead..it is all about how you present..no tension, nothing..people there scent whom they can take for a ride easily..so it all boils down to how to go through it. and yes i have carried upto 5 sovereign coins without paying duty..

For example..i think it was 2001 and we wound all our belongings from oman and i was carrying my printer and scanner, as i was to set up home back.there was this lady telling me that this printer will be charged. i told her i know that it is easily available in india, and is not worth the charge she is going to levy me and if she wants i can give it her and go..she looked at me, and then told me to take it..

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi, whats that 220rs ?? I mean, why that amount?

I have got coins..but haven't had to pay so far.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

that is what the indian customs page says..around 220rs for 10 gms..so since it is 10 x 8gms..that comes to 80..so i approx..it to 220x8..

i still think it is not a problem if you are carrying it with the bill. i have brought jewellery to and fro with the bills intact in case of questioning. and even coins without duty..

and yes i only am indicating the worst scenario where they can ask and being aware of how much is a +ve for us to discuss.

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sinsica,

I don't think you will need to pay any customs for 10 coins. I have carried coins and jewellary and never hv had to pay customs :)

5. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

I am not sure.. my experience is that Chennai customs has become tougher these days. I travelled recently from Singapore to India for a wedding. Carried my own jewellery in my hand luggage. The folks scanning it marked a 'C' in white chalk and asked me to go to the red channel.

Luckily for me, the guy who was manning the red channel counter that day was a decent fellow. He asked me to open my jewel boxes, saw that is was old / used jewellery. Told me not to bring much gold as i'll end up paying duty and let me go.

The general advice i receive is to wear the jewellery, instead of carrying it in hand luggage. But with coins, I dont know.

1 person likes this.
  6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks chandrika.... i always carry mine in my hand luggage.... good to know that i should wear them to avoid trouble.

7. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

You're welcome Akila !

1 person likes this.
  8. divshek

divshek New IL'ite

hi
    Gold coins are not encouraged in India customs authority . You are asked to pay 20% tax as well.