Happy Valentines Day to all of US !

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by Paulina, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

<INPUT alt="Click to get the codes for this image. 3 Dimensional graphic of a rotating red smiley face heart. The comment reads: Happy Valentine's Day!" src="http://www.zingerbug.com/holidays/glitter_graphics/3d_spinning_smile_heart.gif" type=image>

The countdown has begun ....only one more day to go...have you planned on the celebration and bought the gift for that someone special in your life?

Remembering St Valentine amidst all the Feb 14th Hoopla & Hype!!
    <FORM id=blog_blograte_form method=post action=blog.php><LABEL for=r5></LABEL>
    </FORM><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="clientscript/blog_ajax_rate.js?v=400"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- var blogid = 492; vB_AJAX_BlogRate_Init('blog_blograte_form'); //--> </SCRIPT>Every February 14th the world over Valentine's Day is celebrated by giving flowers,gifts, candy and cards to those we love. This is done in honor of Saint Valentine and this custom has made its way to us in the Orient from the those in the Occident.
    "Who is St. Valentine"? ....a little trip on the Time Machine to brush up on the History part of this delightful practice.
    Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during third century Rome. There was an Emperor at that time by the name of Claudius II. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those that were married. With this thought in mind he outlawed marriage for young men in hopes of building a stronger military base. Supposedly,the priest Valentine, decided this decree just wasn't fair and chose to marry young couples secretly. When Emperor Claudius II found out about Valentine's actions he had him put to death.Down the centuries ,Valentine was given the status of Sainthood and made the patron Saint of all lovers.

Another legend has it that Valentine was an imprisoned man who fell in love with his jailor's daughter. Before he was put to death he sent the first 'valentine' himself when he wrote her a letter and signed it 'Your Valentine',these signature words are still used on cards today.

Perhaps we'll never know the true identity and story behind the man named St. Valentine, but this much is for sure...February has been the month to celebrate love for a long time, dating clear back to the Middle Ages. In fact, Valentines ranks second only to Christmas in number of greeting cards sent.

On a lighter note.....sharing a few lines from some funny silly verses I came across.

LOVE is like a CABBAGE

My love is like a cabbage
    Divided into two
    The leaves I give to others,
    The heart I give to YOU!
    ------------------------------

VEGGIE VALENTINE

You may not "CARROT" all for me
    The way I care for YOU,
    You may "TURNIP"your nose
    When I plead with you
    But if your heart should "BEET"with mine,
    Forever " LETTUCE" hope
    There is no reason in the world,
    Why we two "CANTALOUPE"!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Glossary..

"CARROT"...read as ..care at

"TURNIP" read as ...turn up

'BEET"..(beetroot) read as ...beat (heart beat)

'LETTUCE"...reads as.. Let US

"CANTALOUPE"...read as...can't elope

-----------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL LOVE BIRDS !

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Dear Paulina,

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to you too.

Thanks for the information on Valentine's Day.
    Enjoyed the Verses..... :rotflespecially the Veggie Valentine is too Good !!! :biglaugh
    Guess Romeo & Juliet are going to have a Great Day ???!!! any special treats for them on 14th?

3. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Paul for the gear-up!!
    Cabbage was guggle.
    [​IMG]

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina,

That was a informative one.
    And the verses ..:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Thanx

5. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Paulina,

Thank you. A very Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

A wonderful post by you and I loved the veggie Valentine verse so much...infact all of them are so cute.:thumbsup

Jaya

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina, mydear buddy
    Happy to see you here and my thanks for your information.
    [​IMG]
    Happy Valentines to everybody! We are celebrating double events as of now. It’s Chinese New Year and Valentines Day.
    <q>Love is the thing that enables a woman to sing while she mops up the floor after her husband has walked across it in his barn boots.</q>
    One more I want to share,

"I just love to do special things for my wife on Valentine's day. Like open the door for her when she puts all the laundry in the washing machine, or plug and unplug the vacuum as she moves from room to room cleaning. Guys, it's these little thoughtful things you can do to
    have a marriage such as mine.
    "
    with love
    pad

7. Paulina

Hi there, yummy custard!

Glad you liked the Valentine Day info.
    R & J had a special treat .....extra chew sticks ...the Pedigree soft toffee coloured ones and one slice of Black Forest cake each too .!:cheers
    Ofcorse , like Oliver Twist...they asked for more, but I had to harden my heart and refuse and promptly hide the rest of it ...coz its not good for them to indulge in these too much.

8. Paulina

Hi Yashi birdie,

Cute picture of Valentine hearts doing a little jig!
    I shall never cease to be amazed at your prodigious vocabulary....you sure do have a fantastic gift of on the spot word coining...guggle sounds cute ...like gurgle ..akin to a baby's?You are adept at rhymes too!
    A new Lexicon is in order ...Chambers and Websters will have to bid adieu !!:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

9. Paulina

Hi Saras,

Wonderful to hear from you...glad you liked the verses that I hijacked ...they do tickle your funny bone don't they ?

Happy Valentines Day!

10. Paulina

Hi Jaya,

Have a great DAY!
    Thanks for the appreciation.
    Out there in the US of A you must be already surfiet with all those red hearts floating from every store and corner tempting you to hop in and buy stuff for V Day.