1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hair oil for infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Tagor, Jun 15, 2007.

1. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Latha,
    I read in one ayurvedic magazine that the coconut oil has cooling effect.
    Coconut oil is good in sunny places especially in south India.
    Once in a week I give head to toe massage with sesame oil.
    Hope this will help.
    Bye

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

the fact is hair does not require any oil for massage, as in south the hot sun is too much to bear, so the custom of applying oil to keep it cool is there, and in many places too the hot region always woman and men massage a little oil both times and have a dip in the river or shower to cool down their system, if the climate permits pl give til oil bath, it is the most cooling of all the oil, even food done with til oil is without much cholesterol so helps people to maintain diet.

now coming to the olive oil, this oil should not be taken too much, just a table spoon of oil heated on a candle is enough for an adult woman with hair as long as her hip, because here we don't have to apply oil to the hair but to the scalp and then put a warm towel dipped in hot water and wrung out, only the towel should be hot not with water, this helps the olive oil to spread well, and when u shampoo ur hair it give body to the hair, in the process the hair becomes thick, and dark in color...

coconut oil as far as i know generate a lot of heat in the body that is y it is applied not massaged, but from region to region what is available in plenty become the habit like in kerala people cannot do without coconut oil for bath and food, even non veg they fry in coconut oil, and take coconut milk for kheer and curries..

to cool the body till oil is best...sunkan

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. As of now on the days i want to shampoo my boy's hair i massage 1/2 hr earlier with warm coconut oil. I'm not yet comfortable about applying olive oil for the hair... though I read a lot about its goodness (think it's all in my mind). I have changed the shampoo too... i think that should help. Latha

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Latha

Don't worry about olive oil.I used that for my eldest right from day one till he was 1 yr old.Then I switched to coconut oil.Olive oil really helps brings out a brighter complexion.

Now I have started with olive oil for my second one too.

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

I too use olive oil for my baby, he is 2 months old, i have been using since he is 1 month, I was using baby oil before but his rashes doesnt disappear and because of body heat which he got from me, he got prickly heat like rash, and then i started using olive oil for both hair and body, now he is good, rashes decreased a lot and besides i was using aquaphor cream too. So i cannot guarentee that olive oil did wonders.. but its good as far as i have heard.

Take care
    San

6. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Me too using olive oil for my 6 mths old right from her 3mth. b4 that i used to mix coconut and olive but felt that olive is better.

I think for India(chennai) climate coconut is good...all my elders r telling that coconut ll make the body fair..

do u moms in chennai r using coconut? do u find gud result in hair and body?

i think olive will retain the heat in the body...what 's ur opinion?

byeBow
    Indra

7. sss

sss New IL'ite

Hi,

Olive oil means is it the same we use for cooking or different for babies

please let me know the shops for getting this.

Thanks,
    Neeta.

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neeta,

You can get olive oil in any grocery shops like Albertsons, Food 4 less.
    It is the same as we use in cooking.

9. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Baby Hair Oil

Hi all

Is there a Hail Oil for infants ? I didn't find a one in Johnson & Johnson...

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Baby Hair Oil

How about coconut oil or olive oil? I never used hair oil for Riya, but i would think these two would be a good choice.

Raj